Signature (Thor) (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
As some may know I’ve been having thoughts about looking at RV s, I had a look many years ago and discounted them for various reasons, usually build quality or interior styling.
Anyhow had a conversation with one of the sales guy at signature RVs, one of the interesting points was after the buy out of Hymer group by THOR, the RVs are now adopting a lot of the newer technology that is being used in the European vans by hymer, also using a more European internal styling, this can be seen in the new wind sports and aces, so in the new year I’m going to take a trip down and have a look around, scratch this itch and understand the differences, heating systems etc, fuel consumption being a different matter all together.
Merry Christmas to all
Cheers
Mark

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
He he, never owned one so couldn’t possibly comment, unfortunately just found out they are taking all the 2020 models to some racing weekend event when I was due to go down, although not interested in new would be nice to compare like for like against the 2018 wind sport that’s up for sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Let's hope they don't adopt too much from Hymer :)

I realise you re fishing Jim but IMO they can learn a lot from Hymer Group about design and construction., Hymer are the largest Motorhome manufacturer in Europe, they still appear to have less issues per vehicle than most other manufacturers and across the group they produce a far wider and better constructed range of motorhomes than most of the americans.

I have previously looked extensively at RV's but not found one I felt at all tempted to buy ( although I would like a 5 litre V10), The Thor Ace was built specifically for the European market but its still traditional american - quite chinzty (IMO) and don't age particularly well. And what can you say about its sibling Vegas .

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Jongood, I’ve watched quite a few of the YouTube vids of the Thor wind sport construction, and again I was surprised that they have moved on with regards to materials, steel/aluminium frame and composite panels etc.
One of the biggies for me will be winterisation/heating performance with slide outs, I’ve already got black tank so understand some of the issues finding dumping points in England that can bring with 3” exit valve.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Jongood, I’ve watched quite a few of the YouTube vids of the Thor wind sport construction, and again I was surprised that they have moved on with regards to materials, steel/aluminium frame and composite panels etc.
One of the biggies for me will be winterisation/heating performance with slide outs, I’ve already got black tank so understand some of the issues finding dumping points in England that can bring with 3” exit valve.

Is it this video?

Not wishing to criticise but:-
It doesnt seem to have moved on much from the one I was watching 5/6 years ago, its all a bit casual, guys who could be there for the day using equipment you no longer see on factory floors hand push fork lifts, hand routers etc. Theyre still using loose fill white Polystyrene between an 'aloominum' frame( wouldnt that cause cold bridging?) , still using OSB floors with no apparent sign of insulation, I couldnt see where the tanks went, are they insulated? Screwed together, Ok but I would want bonding as well, and to see that these screw holes are properly sealed afterwards I couldnt see how the roof is fastened, is that screwed as well?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just watched that one Jon and was wondering the same as you about the "cold bridging" as well.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We just changed from a Hymer B778 to a Thor Ace 30.1

Of course, horses for courses (as we are all different, with varying mindsets) and there are some good recent MHF threads debating the pro’s and con’s

Do the research and you’ll make the right call for you - good luck

Totally agree about horse for courses, and a great opportunity to find a real life comparison.
Have you had much use out of it yet?

Jon

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Totally agree about horse for courses, and a great opportunity to find a real life comparison.
Have you had much use out of it yet?

Jon
Two trips so far and we’re out on Boxing Day for a few days - then down to Spain next month.

So far
Pro’s space and capacity (tanks)

Con’s more planning (auto gas locations ( (we had the LPG conversion and ringing sites to get the thumbs up on size and pitch) but this will change when we are in Europe - where we will be spending 6 months of the year

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Two trips so far and we’re out on Boxing Day for a few days - then down to Spain next month.

So far
Pro’s space and capacity (tanks)

Con’s more planning (auto gas locations ( (we had the LPG conversion and ringing sites to get the thumbs up on size and pitch) but this will change when we are in Europe - where we will be spending 6 months of the year

Is it better on hills than the Hymer?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
jongood, yes that the one I was watching, hence a further understanding about using in winter, protected tanks winterised slide outs etc
Tanya_and_Mick was it signature you purchased from? How are you finding it against what you had? Did you have the lpg fitted or already installed? Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand all aspects of the transition from euro to yank, most of all really interested in the v10 and how it performs?
Merry Xmas

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Tanya_and_Mick was it signature you purchased from? How are you finding it against what you had? Did you have the lpg fitted or already installed? Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand all aspects of the transition from euro to yank, most of all really interested in the v10 and how it performs?
Merry Xmas
We got her from Dreams RV and we had a 200 litre LPG conversion fitted c£4K

So far so good mate and I’ll provide an update as I get to use the engine more.....

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I've hired mh in the US a number of times now, covering about 6 months in all, and one thing stands out. They were all on Ford truck chassis, and drove terribly. The steering was awful, its vague and wandered all over the road unless you kept a firm grip of the steering wheel with constant corrections. Not fun to drive!

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The same used to be said of the Chevy P30 chassis and I must admit both mine (1996 Gulfstream then 1999 Georgie Boy Landau ) could be a handful on the M6, especially in truck ruts.
The later P32 / Workhorse (2000 onwards) was apparently a much better beast due to the wider front track.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Tanya_and_Mick

How are things with the new motor, any issues with the steering as per thebriars statement?

cheers
Mark

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The steering was awful, its vague and wandered all over the road unless you kept a firm grip of the steering wheel with constant corrections

My big chevvy used to wander, but the 2010 Ford is on rails. Very relaxed drive. That said, when Siân drives it she is all over the place, but then she's got too firm a grip on the wheel and making constant corrections. :D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've hired mh in the US a number of times now, covering about 6 months in all, and one thing stands out. They were all on Ford truck chassis, and drove terribly. The steering was awful, its vague and wandered all over the road unless you kept a firm grip of the steering wheel with constant corrections. Not fun to drive!
My old Fiat used to wander, was gutless, and had awful brakes.

Luckily things move on

My 2019 V10 Ford is powerful, stable, stops on a pin and a joy to drive

Mind you I have met some bad drivers that don’t enjoy driving anything :smiley:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The same used to be said of the Chevy P30 chassis and I must admit both mine (1996 Gulfstream then 1999 Georgie Boy Landau ) could be a handful on the M6, especially in truck ruts.
The later P32 / Workhorse (2000 onwards) was apparently a much better beast due to the wider front track.
To be fair your talking about vehicles 24 years ago. Your right that the wide track made a huge difference, and there have been continued improvements over the last twenty years, in the same way that side by side a 2020 Fiat for example is infinitely better than a 2000 one (y)

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Tanya_and_Mick

How are things with the new motor, any issues with the steering as per thebriars statement?

cheers
Mark
To be fair she wanders a little but in recent winds / weather she was ok

I’m still getting used to her but current impressions from pulling the toad over Christmas and recent driving to Somerset in grumpy weather is good.

Does it drive like the Hymer? No - the steering and front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive and steering is a different experience which I’ve settled into OK and I enjoy the drive and power of the V10

At this moment in time, I doubt if I would revert back to a European

As before Rudski01 - go test drive and see what you think

The short answer to your question is, wanders a little, a different drive and I am pleased / enjoying the V10

Hope this helps mate

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for that, I’m heading down on the 7th feb to have look at a couple at signature via picking my own up after being serviced, had fun myself on Saturday taking mine to Retford A66 to scotch corner 60 mph gusts and torrential rain was not a fun experience?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Sorry still got the one in my avatar from RS, they eventually got back to me regarding the warranty work outstanding, not sure who they use for servicing at Retford, they do the hab checks

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
My old Fiat used to wander, was gutless, and had awful brakes.

Luckily things move on

My 2019 V10 Ford is powerful, stable, stops on a pin and a joy to drive

Mind you I have met some bad drivers that don’t enjoy driving anything :smiley:
The ones I drove were all brand new vehicles. 2015/2016 era. Powerful yes, but still awful steering. I did notice that one eventually got used to it wandering and it tended to feel normal, but this was the brain going into auto driving mode as it does.

My current Ford is on a Transit chassis rather than the US truck chassis and there is no comparison. Light easy steering, and with the auto box super. It also does 30+mpg rather than the 10-12mpg (admittedly US units) of the US models.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My Ford V10 seemed to wander a little when I bought it, I fitted new sway bar bushes and now it drives as if on rails. What a difference! And what a bugger to fit the bushes.

Craig

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
My Ford V10 seemed to wander a little when I bought it, I fitted new sway bar bushes and now it drives as if on rails. What a difference! And what a bugger to fit the bushes.

Craig
All but the first one of these hire vans were brand new vans with very low milage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back