What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Oh SH.......................

Just reversing onto the drive after returning from Cheltenham and the Diesel Fuel Filter decides to squirt diesel all over the engine bay and drive

So a quick visit to YouTube and we know what to do BUT don't have the tools
So a few visits to car parts outlets and tool shops got almost everything we need

EXCEPT the special tool to open and tighten the fuel filter outer casing we have visited every car place between Clay Cross and Chesterfield (The North side) and no-one stocks one so working out a method to do it without

Will see what tomorrow brings

All parts and tools now in hand
Filter disassembled very easily ( ie the top seal ring wasn't tight undid far too easy with a small ratchet handle)
filter body cleaned ,a new filter inserted and reassembled
Headlight removed filter refitted headlamp refitted

Engine run after filter bled of air no problem

Today I've restarted the engine to move Maxine and clean all the diesel off the drive

Job DONE first major mechanical repair I've EVER done

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Created new ladder for over cab bed - far wider treads and added softer carpet too.
£15 step ladder, £10 worth of paint, £10 worth of carpet tile cut to size and some spray adhesive.
IMG_20191202_210858629.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Looks like somebody else likes the ladder too....
View attachment 349831
that reminds me of a few years back, I was working on a single story roof. turned round and my staffy had followed me up the ladder and was happily wandering round the roof taking a good look at everything. when I was done I had to put her on my shoulder and carry her down the ladder

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
that reminds me of a few years back, I was working on a single story roof. turned round and my staffy had followed me up the ladder and was happily wandering round the roof taking a good look at everything. when I was done I had to put her on my shoulder and carry her down the ladder
One of our previous dogs climbed the ladder to the roof of our bungalow then proceeded up the tiles and walked along the ridge towards hubby ... she could also climb the army type rope netting (wide squares) stuff you get on assault courses! Another could climb a normal ladder into the attic AND come down it again!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
In the middle of fitting new batteries, extra solar and replacing a cracked shower tray.
Although I could have got away with a repair on the shower tray (3 cracks)
one of the drain outlet traps ( centre screw thread socket snapped) was broken.
Lovely how motorhome manufacturers fit the shower tray with no access to get at it.
Have managed to source a shower tray on eBay.
This one is a major job.
9C1BA0EA-30D3-4F70-BB4F-1C7F800A1734.jpeg
CE13579F-7154-4517-B338-7D8EE57F1A07.jpeg
8B589BC8-7E68-4588-A234-0AB72DE2C659.jpeg

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I'm in the process of fitting a new DVR which has front and rear cameras

after the easy bit fitting the new centre mirror and wiring (including GPS module) the rear view camera is ...............................................................

the module only comes with 6m of cable , so after sourcing some shielded 5 core from my stock box (only needed 4 core) and getting it soldered and shielded and weather proof took a while.

NOW I'm trying to find a way of getting the cable into the cab in the shorted route, left it now can't see anything will be finishing off after the weekend now

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ito the battery box under the floor, then feed across the floor and up A pillar.
Or via passenger side step behind the plastic liner and then up A pillar

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I'm in the process of fitting a new DVR which has front and rear cameras

after the easy bit fitting the new centre mirror and wiring (including GPS module) the rear view camera is ...............................................................

the module only comes with 6m of cable , so after sourcing some shielded 5 core from my stock box (only needed 4 core) and getting it soldered and shielded and weather proof took a while.

NOW I'm trying to find a way of getting the cable into the cab in the shorted route, left it now can't see anything will be finishing off after the weekend now

OK
DVR now totally installed, it has picture of front camera with picture in picture of rear camera or just front or rear camera when in reverse it auto switches to rear camera

IMG_20191210_143457.jpg

a short video of it operating is here not bad for an Ebay special and although I had to insert another 4 metres of 4 core shielded cable the rear camera is quite good. Front is 1080P and rear 720P

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Last of the major jobs for a while . I hope :xsmile:
New clutch kit gone in today I had to adjust it on the last trip through Scandinavia. And looking at it when taken out it was on its last legs .
1998 ,and at 089449klm it could be the original I don't know,but not bad for 21 years if it is.
Recapping previous to me it had sat around for a while with low miles .
Now brought into the 21st century with
A compleat new brake system.
Air assist rear suspension.
New front shocks and springs .
Now a new clutch kit.
Good for another 21 years and planning the next adventure to hopefully warmer climes :xThumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just got home after 3 weeks away and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the fridge wasn’t really getting very cold on gas. Seems to work perfectly on 12v and we had a hook up one day last week and it worked fine then.
I also noticed the burner flame didn’t seem to increase in size when I lowered the temp setting on the fridge.
So, a few days ago I cleaned the burner but it seemed clean anyway. Checked the flue too and that was clean, so thought it must be the burner jet or something more serious
Anyway, we got home today and I took out the burner jet. Looking through it, with a magnifying glass and torch, the hole didn’t appear quite round. Not wanting to poke anything into the jet, I found a can of butane gas and squirted some in the jet till I got a nice clear jet of gas coming out the other side.
That must have done the job, I can hear the burner roaring as it used to and the fridge goes down to 4 degrees in a couple of hours. Result!
Just need to get the gas joint professionally checked now.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
On the way back from Frankfurt the other week, we had an alternator failure, had to get recovered. Been trying to get my local guy to look at it but his ramp has a camper without a gearbox on it and they are waiting for bits, so i set to myself.. Its a Euramobil 810 HS tag axle,with a 2.8 JTD, which is very low at the front, i have a bit set of wooden levellers that are a around a foot tall , and getting up on those meant i could just get under her to do it.. needs decent light, battery disconnect etc , managed to get it off ok, although it was hard , flat on my back . Once it was off, though , the fun started , as there wasnt a hole big enough for it to come out through.

At this point i am going to put her back together , but decide to see if i can get some clearance by removing the underfloor sound deadening, but with a little bit of jiggling and a strong tailwind, i got it out over the top of the exhaust , in front of where the turbo meets the front pipe.

Because i am a tight arse, and i didnt want to spring £400 for a new one i got Cox's at ATherstone to recon it, which they did i 2 days, and today i put her back together, wasnt easy , but she is back on, and belt isnt squealing, so its all good.

Unlike me who feels like i got hit with a bus lol.

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Fitted air pair of Dunlop air assist bellows over the course of yesterday and today to our Adria Matrix. Fairly straightforward installation, time consuming but I wanted to get it right so everything was checked twice! But without a hoist, crawling under the van was really arduous and time consuming working on the drive, but at least the weather held good and it didn’t rain.
The Adria wiring loom is held to the chassis by holders that have ample capacity for the airlines and compressor power cables, made a really neat installation. Housed the compressor in the Heckgarage - sufficient cables and air hose to reach the full length of the vehicle.
I’ve mislaid my crimping tool, so will have to complete the electrics tomorrow after I’ve bought a new one. Pumped it up with an airline this afternoon and so far, so good, no pressure loss.
Will update when complete.
DC7B5CB4-67E2-4F44-8D48-27F566AA1239.jpeg
87A1F7C8-F5EA-47AA-99E6-27954A262045.jpeg
B70CA99B-DAD7-490E-B243-7CD479C72F6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fitted an ehu socket & wired up to an rcd + mcb's unit. Separted batteries & fitted a vsr split charge relay along with a 12 v fuse box.Then wired a battery charger from mcb to leisure battery & tested ,all ok.
Installed solar charging unit & wired up. Fabricated brackets & fitted to solar panels .Fitted to the roof & wired to the unit. Tested ok.
Fitted voltage display unit showing state of leisure battery.
Today we have fabricated a galvanised sliding step bracket & slide .Just needs some tread welded in tomorrow then paint & final fit.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Going through an LED phase

Upgraded the interior lights to LED
IMAG1170.jpg
IMAG1171.jpg

Used self adhesive led strip and an ally plate to mount them and work as a bit of a heatsink. The 3 lights now use about the same a one standard one and cost me £1 to do all 3 ?

Next upgraded the front sidelights, right is before, left is after. Not as dazzling as pic makes out, just bit of lens flare. Also upgraded headlights to Osram nightbreakers while at it.

IMAG1177.jpg

Had to also fit canbus correctors to stop the dash error light

IMAG1172.jpg
k

Also finally fitted my gas bottle brackets and Truma gas filter.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had an attempted breakin, scum bastards chose the wrong end of the sliding window, (the bit that doesn't slide) cracked the plastic. Haven't a clue what to do. I think I'll , as previously planned, sell it on, with a reduced price, once the mot is renewed in april.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Had an attempted breakin, scum bastards chose the wrong end of the sliding window, (the bit that doesn't slide) cracked the plastic. Haven't a clue what to do. I think I'll , as previously planned, sell it on, with a reduced price, once the mot is renewed in april.
Sorry to hear that .

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Although the gear change on our 2013 Peugeot Boxer has not been a problem or particularly knotchy, I wanted to see if it could be improved with a fully synthetic gear oil, and the answer is yes.

After a run to warm the oil up, I drained off the original gearbox oil, leaving it to drip for half an hour to get as much of the old stuff out and was a little surprised that this only amounted to 2.5 litres of the 2.7 litres it seemingly should have been filled with even allowing for the fact that you will not get every last drop of the old oil out.

It would appear that it is now advised to fill these gearboxes with 2.9 litres of oil, so in went 2.9 litres of Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 fully synthetic gear oil and the gear change is now as smoooooth as silk even when cold.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New battery in a TPMS sensor when it kept warning me of a slowly deflating tyre - which it wasn't thankfully!

I'm a real convert to TPMS but when they start to go wrong the imagination starts to run riot!

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Left Calais for points south on Monday, on Tuesday the grey water tank's valve handle came off in my hand. The retaining pin had fallen out. Cheers Hymer. Sourced nut and bolt to suit and refitted today. Bit of a bugger as it's under the saloon floor, retained by an impossible to remove bracket. Which got bent.

Wine o'clock now ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back