Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Has anyone any experiences of the above Motorhome! I'm looking very closely at this model with a view to buying!
I note3 there are a few 2009/2010 models for sale and i like the 2011 model with the extra seat belts.
I'm unable to obtain MPG stat's but i believe i can expect around 30 MPG at 70 MPH.
I would be very interested in reviews and opinions from motor homers who own one or have been in one .

Thanks in advance,
Philip

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,
Has anyone any experiences of the above Motorhome! I'm looking very closely at this model with a view to buying!
I note3 there are a few 2009/2010 models for sale and i like the 2011 model with the extra seat belts.
I'm unable to obtain MPG stat's but i believe i can expect around 30 MPG at 70 MPH.
I would be very interested in reviews and opinions from motor homers who own one or have been in one .

Thanks in advance,
Philip
ARE THESE SALESMAN FIGURES
I think you may be a little optimistic -assume 25 mpg @ 70 and if lucky 30 mpg @ 55-anything more will be a bonus
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Terry beat me to it, if they are salemans figures you quoted, what else have you been misled about.:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry, I think you may have misjudged my question!, I'm not interested in opinion, justt fact!

If you do not have first hand information please do not offer me your view! Apologies if I appear to,be offensive bit I'm trying to make a decision based on fact, not on opinion.

thanks, Philip

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and there endeth the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as no one can judge the exact weight of the vehicle you might buy or how you drive. If you are a heavyfooted, a speed merchant or whatever.
Every vehicle gives best fuel consumpton at around 55mph, and almost half of that at 70mph. Opinions given are based on experience if that is not what you wanted please rephrase the question. Just because I don't own that model now does not mean I never have.
the only fact you are going to be happy with is that YOU find by trial.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
See what these owners say :thumb: Bare in mind none are fully laden M.H s:winky:

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/146298-fiat-ducato-2-3-120-multijet-2008-a.html
I am afraid it is like Roger says too many variables - ie you may get 30 mpg on the m/w but as soon as you hit traffic in a town you may only get 12 mpg -We tried to give figures that are more believable / achievable :thumb:
In my own van I get an average of 27 mpg - 750 m/w miles with 750 running around, but bot for 1 min do I think I am getting 27 mpg on the running around bit - more like 20 / 22 if I am lucky - try to be realistic in what you hope for - I can get above 70 mpg doing 70 mph down a big hill :ROFLMAO:
terry

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
oh dfear

Well said "Wildman" and "Terry" to say the least the first post was rather spurious, we all know, well I think we do that at 56mph you get a lot more out of the tank than if you are dashing around at 70mph plus.

We have a 2.7ltr Merc 5 cylinders which doesn`t have to work very hard to get the motorhome up to 80mph + but oh boy it can empty a fuel tank, whilst at 60mph on the motorway we get a steady 27 mpg.

So it might be just an opinon but I just can`t see you getting 30mpg + out of a 2.3 ltr un-aerodynamic 3.5 ton lump.

Does anyone remember the old twin choke petrol carb cars, ha ha our Renault 20tx would give 30mpg easy until that second stage cut in, lucky to get 18mpg after that.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK lets forget about the MPG aspect! Has anyone out there any first hand experience of this motorhome!

Thanks in advance,
Philip

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Well i would think you'll be lucky to get any advice at all after the tone of your second post.

Which part of the word FUN confused you?

David

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
We looked at this model, and were put off by the bathroom. Two models we looked at had damaged doors, and unless you swing the "Throne" around 90 degrees, you would have difficulty closing it.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We looked at this model, and were put off by the bathroom. Two models we looked at had damaged doors, and unless you swing the "Throne" around 90 degrees, you would have difficulty closing it.

Thanks Swisstony, we looked this aspect quite closely and as you say it's a bit of a tight squeeze but workable.
I was particularly impressed by the high levels of all round insulation, LED lighting and the rear garage and still under 7M

I've not seen this years model up close but note they have re-arranged the two rear seats which now incorporate seat belts which saves us having to convert on the earlier model.

The build quality on the one we looked at was high, which you would expect from Autotrail anyway.However, i note there are a few out there for sale with very low mileage on and i was hoping to connect with previous owners with my enquiry who could give me their views on ride quality.pro's and cons etc.

I guess there are no previous owners on this site!

Thanks,
Philip

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I was a bit reluctant to answer your post as you seem to "need" really specific answers which I do not have,

however as an autotrail owner for two years, of a now five year old scout, the build quaity is good to excelant, there have been no majar isusses a few minor ones. Would I recoment the make? yes for 3 seanson use, not for full winter use.

oh nearly forgot, mines the old engine, and does about 25mpg ish depending on speed, wind, wieght, use of foot, the newer ones are better so they say, but dont forget about the "judder"

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Philip may I suggest you do another thread - heading - Autotrail 640g owners / experiences ?
terry

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Excel 64 G

For anyone who has been following this thread and in particular to the comments made by other members, I now have first hand information from users on the above range of motor homes.

I spoke directly with an owner of an Excel 600 this weekend who averaged 26 MPG over an hour on a German Autobahn. Just him and his wife. During this period he travelled 76 miles, so his average speed was 76 MPH.

Another new owner of the 640 G (emailed me on the other website) stated that they were averaging 32 MPG on European motorways, I am still waiting for more info with respect to speed being travelled.

I have just purchased the new 2011 Excel 670 which will be delivered in May and my expectation on fuel economy will be a little less that stated above due to the larger vehicle but still much better that other Motorhomes due to the low profile. However, this was not the main reason for upgrading to this model but clearly a key factor with the way fuel prices are increasing.

Merry Christmas,
Philip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back