Laid up/sorn insurance. (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We are going off in the motorhome soon at the same time as the car insurance is due.

We have great indoor storage nearby which is OK with the motorhome insurer.

We intend to leave our car there for five months or so.

Before I start ringing round, does anyone have any recommendations for laid up insurance and what are the possible pitfalls ?

Thanks

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Use standard insurance with a low annual mileage discount. The fact of the car being in a locked compound is not an issue. The risks to the insurance Co are the same as usual except for the low mileage.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Do you need insurance? If the vehicle is SORNed there is no requirement to do so and the risk may only be slight. I don't insure mine when off the road, but you do need to be able to accept total loss. The gypsies found my 4x4 and used it as a donor vehicle while I was away (stripped completely). It was a total write-off, at my expense. In spite of that, I still don't get cover for vehicles not in use. It depends on how nervous you are about these things (which is what insurance companies trade on).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Do you need insurance? If the vehicle is SORNed there is no requirement to do so and the risk may only be slight. I don't insure mine when off the road, but you do need to be able to accept total loss. The gypsies found my 4x4 and used it as a donor vehicle while I was away (stripped completely). It was a total write-off, at my expense. In spite of that, I still don't get cover for vehicles not in use. It depends on how nervous you are about these things (which is what insurance companies trade on).

Yep. Nervous!

There a lot of expensive vehicles in there. I wouldn't to cause a fire

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Sorted.

£102 fully comp for the year through Lancaster Classic Car insurance.

I am happy with that

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I am under the impression that if a vehicle is left uninsured the no claims bonus is lost when the time comes to reinsure.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think that's wrong, but some insurers may want to make an adjustment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back