one in a van

Free Member
Nov 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
hi,
i've just bought a fiat ducato campervan and will be living in it full time monday to friday.
my questions revolve around heating.
am i safe to use a gas heater in the van at night (but not whilst i'm sleeping - cos that would be just silly - or would it?)? if so does anyone recommend any useful kit for this?
if i use an electric heater - how much will this drain my leisure batteries ( i have two - work in the day and only in the van for about 6hrs before bedtime) and do they work effectively? again any recommendations?
and any other tips and information you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
D.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi D, welcome to the forum :Smile:

An electric heater will only be viable if you are on Mains Power Electric Hookup.
Using a gas heater, such as a Truma etc, should not be a problem as that is what they are designed for. :Smile:flyingwelcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

there is a section for solo travellers so have a look at that and dont forget to come to some of the meets, there is one on mersea island near colchester this weekend if its not too far for you and is quite cheap and includes food on the saturday night

When you purchased did you have the gas systems safety checked or have you been provided with a safety certificate? if not - get it checked out - always best to be safe.

If you have gas "blown air heating" yes, use it - if you are worried you can always put a carbon monoxide sensor in your van

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Welcome to the funsters

Truma blow air heater is fine, we use it no probs

:welcomefunster:flyingwelcome
Happy Daze & warm nights
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi D and welcome :thumb:
Has your van got a heater in the rear ?
If you have electric hook up buy a small thermostatically controlled 1 - 2 kw heater running at 1 kw setting,( ABOUT £10 / 15 ) it will turn on and off at the required heat - you have zero chance of running one off leisure BATTERY'S :Doh::cry:
Truma blow air heater will work of gas but cost about £500 to buy one :thumb::Eeek:
yes you can use it while asleep :thumb:
just ask away and you will get answers to all question's :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If on Electric Hook up,

Oil filled panel heater .. 800 - 1000 watt

can be left on 24/7 , will keep the van nice and cosy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
one in a van

one in a van

Free Member
Nov 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
thanks everyone,
to answer some of your questions:
no electric hook up,
was thinking of the protable gas type heater, as i don't really have the money for blow air type. no heater in the rear of the van.
will be fitting a CM detector.
and probably looking forward to 'cool' :cry: nights in the week.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
portable gas heater is not suitable for a small van as it does not vent to the outside and produces a lot of moisture as it burns the only type of non vented heater suitable is a catalytic heater All forms of heating cost an arm and a leg to purchase and fit is there nothing fitted that you could get serviced?
Any form of electric heating on a battery will flatten in in about 20mins. if you are wildcamping maybe an open fire outside will be the answer, hee hee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Option 1: Run a genny to power small (<1kW) electric heater - not popular if you have neighbours and cost is about £5/night for petrol .

Option 2: use a portable catalytic heater which is silent but will make interior damp and requires ventilation to remove CO2 and provide O2 .Running cost about the same as the genny if using refillable bottles.

Option 3: A 4 season sleeping bag with fleece balaclava.

Having slept on unheated boats during winter I find option 3 the best.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
one in a van

one in a van

Free Member
Nov 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
sorry slighly confused:Eeek: with the last two posts.
are the catalytic portable heaters ok, or are they the same as a normal gas heater and still produce the moistureand co2?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry slighly confused:Eeek: with the last two posts.
are the catalytic portable heaters ok, or are they the same as a normal gas heater and still produce the moistureand co2?

a catalytic heater does not produce water or any noxious gasses but it does use oxygen so some is ventilation is required

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
a catalytic heater does not produce water or any noxious gasses but it does use oxygen so some is ventilation is required

I don't think you're quite right here Jim. The calalytic part of the heater converts any carbon monoxide (poisonous) to carbon dioxide (not poisonous) however it still produces the same amount of water vapour as any conventional heater.

A catalytic heater should be checked annually (at a cost) as on old ones the calalyst may no longer work efficiently and carbon monoxide could be produced.

Catalytic heaters usually have an oxygen depletion detector which will turn it off if the oxygen level in the air becomes too low. A Carbon monoxide detector is a good idea with any sort of gas heating.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back