Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Advice please on the best bottles to carry for Spain. I usually carry the largest campingaz cylinder (907 I think) as that is the biggest that will fit in my locker. I also have a calor chunky bottle that I used before but it has to ride in the back and sit on the ground in use. I have adapters for both but at present no propane adapter. I have used butane gas in some pretty cold weather and it's never frozen yet. I always thought that campingaz was cheaper in Europe than here and easily available but having not 'camped' over there as yet I don't know for certain. We only use the gas for cooking. All advice welcome bearing in mind weight and space are at a premium in our van! Joy

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Advice please on the best bottles to carry for Spain. I usually carry the largest campingaz cylinder (907 I think) as that is the biggest that will fit in my locker. I also have a calor chunky bottle that I used before but it has to ride in the back and sit on the ground in use. I have adapters for both but at present no propane adapter. I have used butane gas in some pretty cold weather and it's never frozen yet. I always thought that campingaz was cheaper in Europe than here and easily available but having not 'camped' over there as yet I don't know for certain. We only use the gas for cooking. All advice welcome bearing in mind weight and space are at a premium in our van! Joy

You will find refills for the 907 but not for calor, if however you are heading into the Algave/Portugal refilling you own bottles is possible, If you are thinking of staying long enough to need refiling anything but the Gaz then you may need to think about getting a local bottle.

Doug...

ps also in Pembrokeshire.

OP
OP
F

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Thanks Doug,
As we are going to be away a month or two we will definately need to change bottles but as long as we can get the campingaz that's ok. Just need to get a spare cylinder now, and as you probably know they are hard to come by and expensive to buy, even when empty, old and rusty!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thanks Doug,
As we are going to be away a month or two we will definately need to change bottles but as long as we can get the campingaz that's ok. Just need to get a spare cylinder now, and as you probably know they are hard to come by and expensive to buy, even when empty, old and rusty!

Try you local council skip dump, I have seen them in (Hwlfford) but you have to be discrete.

Doug...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just need to get a spare cylinder now, and as you probably know they are hard to come by and expensive to buy, even when empty, old and rusty!

The cheapest retailer I found was Go Outdoors - with their discount card the empty bottle was about £29 and the refill £19, but you cannot just buy an empty bottle. I ended up doing this because eBay came up zero (too far away) and my local dumps either had bottles but no Campingaz, or refused to let you collect empty bottles for "H&S reasons" :Angry:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Don't worry Joy. While you are in Zahora you'll have no trouble exchanging your CampingGaz 907 bottle. We use them for the BBQ and a portable gas cooker we sometimes use.
We exchanged one last week at the Repsol depot in Conil - cost us €13!

OP
OP
F

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
That's cheap! Had been offered an empty bottle by someone in the 'Bambi' club but am not likely to see him again before the spring. If I can't get a spare I'm sure we can manage with one. The one we have has lasted ages. Never spend anymore time cooking than is necessary. Was going to invest in one of those double skillet things but as far as I can see, a pressure cooker will do the same a lot quicker and I already use one of those! Just ordered a continental adapter and a new loo (last one sprung a leak!) and warning triangles! Already got the spare bulbs, high viz vests and a map in case our sat nav becomes irrational (we've ended up in a lot farmyards before now!) so we are almost ready! Just hoping the snow holds off long enough for for me to touch up our rusty bits!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back