bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, thought this might help someone it tells you what class your vehicle is, :Smile: and click on toll pricing you can see what a small fortune it will cost you. :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. which is why I always hit the 'NO TOLL ROADS' on the satnav !!

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi John it soon mounts up, when we went on a toll bridge in France we had the Toad on the back and as they charge per axle it was the same as a lorry.:Doh: At leased with the car on the trailer we only have 3 axles.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Don't know about blue badge, sorry, but my guess is that this is UK only.

These charges also show how much extra you have to pay for being over 3500kg, its a lot!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Does it cost more if you use the lanes reserved for HGV's as I find that the Toll lanes in France are just to narrow and very iffy.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Guys, last year on the tour we took in the Italian Riviera and the French one too

In ONE DAY the tolls came to more than a years road tax in the UK :cry:

It seems that as we weigh in over 3.8t and stand 3.2mtrs tall, all the automated tolls charged us as commercial HGV ( one memorable item on the credit card bill was for £79 .. When we worked it out we THINK it was for a 21 mile route around Cannes )

To answer the blue badge thing.
As most of the tolls seem to be automated now and there is no method to enter the info, I would say that it makes no odds. I have no idea but if the French even have a blue badge system the recipients probably pay tolls and then reclaim them.

As a by the by, we decided not to use motorways on the way back up from Marseille, sticking to N roads and smaller
Very often we could look across and see the motorways, and as we usually travel at about 55mph found that keeping off main drags caused us no time loss at all..

What it DID do was enhance the trip .. Instead of hours of concrete, we saw beautiful forestry areas, local colour, and some wonderful scenery :thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Although we are 3.8t we were :cry: only :cry: charged class 2 tolls on the few times we used the French toll routes last month. However we are just under 3m high so that might be why we got away with it.

I found that in Spain I was only charged class 1, the same as cars. Has anyone else found that. What do RVs pay ?

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
My m/h is 3.85t and 3m high and in 2007/2008/9 only paid class 2 at all toll booths, attended or automated. However this year 2010 I had a camos satelite dome fitted and at attended booths was only charged class 2 but at automated booths they measure the height of the van at it highest point which for my van now is the top of the dome (3.3m)and so charged class3 which is very expensive. For my next trip to France next year I intend to take my newly acqured toad,towed on an a-frame, if they charge by height and number of axles I will become class 4!!!! Like others in this thread in future my sat-nav will set to NO toll roads.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no only applies to a car

We have a blue diabled badge, do we still pay T.I.A.

T.I.A only applies for a car and moves you down one grade. RV's or motorhomes do not get a discount.

We try and travell non motorways where possible and only jump on to avoid a big town and then back off again. going down to South France in April we racked up 84 euros going down... coming back it was reduced to 8 euros... now that is a lot of saving and it did not take much longer on the main roads and more interesting as well.

Bob, Sue & Ezzie the St Bernard.:thumb:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
only use tolls from Tours to Poitiers

We also can't afford to pay more on French tolls that our UK annual road tax.

We always use the non toll road option except for the bit between Tours and Poitiers. We get on and off just before and just after each of those two towns. The time spent in the queue is often depressing. Other than that, stay off the tolls.

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Toll roads

We didn't intend to use any toll roads but got on one by accident, sat in a queue at roadworks for over an hour, overheated to the point of flames...:Blush:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
We have used toll roads and still do, though generally on a manned toll booth the attendant usually puts us through as a class2 occasionally class 3 as they can see its a pickup and 'caravan' - but- those auto-booths have us bang to rights as a class 4. I dont mind the class 2 charges or the occasional class 3 but the class 4 well thats a different matter, so like to remember areas where we shouldnt use the toll roads where auto booths are but there are getting more and more of them the last couple of years.

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a blue disabled badge, do we still pay T.I.A.
Hi, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you showed your blue badge that you were dropped a class. can't for the life of me remember where. Think it must have been on another forum.

Regards

Nidge

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always use the non-toll roads, unless rarely when in a tearing hurry to get somewhere. The non-toll roads are much more interesting, the lower speeds use less fuel and usually the route is shorter (as motorways always go round towns rather than through them):roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back