Ridge Monkey, what do you cook in yours? (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Going away in the van for a few days this weekend so I am trying out my new ridge monkey. Going for a cheesy pigs in blanket omelette toasty.

If I'm not back by the end of the weekend with photos you know it's been a disaster :LOL:

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well first use of the ridge monkey turned out pretty good even though I forgot I was supposed to be making a toastie.

20191122_154806.jpg

20191122_160159.jpg

20191122_160608.jpg

So a cheesy pigs in blanket omelette it was and must say it was really nice. Didn't take as long as I expected for it all to cook either. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Ah disappointing session on the ridge monkey tonight. Once again I over estimated how long it takes to cook stuff.

Tried steak with onions and mushrooms.

20191202_200652.jpg

I thought I would cook the steak gently for a bit first on both sides before adding the roughly chopped onions and mushrooms. Turns out the steak didn't need near as much time so I should have just thrown everything in together.

As it turned out the steak was well over cooked after leaving it in for about 20-25 minutes on a low gas setting. Plus I didn't add near enough veg.

Admittedly still tasty but not as I usually prefer it. Lesson learned to try it again.

20191202_203233.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
on my wish list for Christmas

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I've tried cooking sausages in it but if I put the lid down so as to reduce the smell then I get a lot of liquid, when I drained it to fry the sausages rather than boil them the sausages stuck and burnt.

Luckily I was only experimenting at home rather than in the van, what do other people do?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've tried cooking sausages in it but if I put the lid down so as to reduce the smell then I get a lot of liquid, when I drained it to fry the sausages rather than boil them the sausages stuck and burnt.

Luckily I was only experimenting at home rather than in the van, what do other people do?
Sounds like you've got the old watery sausages problem. Ann likes the Irish recipe ones and they cook alright with a bit of oil ?

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Sounds like you've got the old watery sausages problem. Ann likes the Irish recipe ones and they cook alright with a bit of oil ?
Do you get them from anywhere special or can I find them in a regular supermarket?

I like to practice with my cooking gizmos at home before trying them out in the van, saves problems later!

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Christmas dinner, ridge monkey style...

Sea salt and pepper turkey burgers, turkey meatballs, stuffing balls, pigs in blankets and sprouts.

20191225_195629.jpg

20191225_200932.jpg

If I'm honest it wasn't that great but I wasn't expecting Michelin star results.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would have been better without those green things :)
You can grill them. Just cut in half and frazzle a bit.

There is a very popular book available* called "Charred" which is about BBQ and grilled vegetables. It could be useful for owners of these gadgets. :)

*Available in theory only. It has been sold out in most outlets this Christmas.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
You can grill them. Just cut in half and frazzle a bit.

There is a very popular book available* called "Charred" which is about BBQ and grilled vegetables. It could be useful for owners of these gadgets. :)

*Available in theory only. It has been sold out in most outlets this Christmas.
You can do whatever you like to them but they still taste like sprouts ?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
If you didn't like sprouts from when you were a kid, please have another try with today's modern varieties. I've always liked sprouts, but those overcooked bitter things from my youth were an abomination.
I have tried them frequently, cooked in a variety of ways.

Even slathered with custard, they are just yucky and I love custard!

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I cook some bacon, then remove the bacon from the pan and put aside, stir fry sliced sprouts in the bacon fat, put the bacon back in the pan to heat through and serve! I have no problem eating a big plateful of stir fried sprouts and bacon. Need to cook the sprouts gently though and keep them moving otherwise they can catch, I don't mind a small amount of chargrilling but object to a plate of black things with bacon.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Isn't that just a frying pan with a lid?
I've never tried cooking a monkey either.

• Funny
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Its definitely like a frying pan with a lid but its square and not too deep, makes a mean toastie as the pan can just be turned over rather than faffing with a fish slice and watching the sandwich come apart. The one I have has detachable handles which slot into a plastic insert which also holds the plastic tools which might be needed and then goes into a very neat bag.

Ideal for our van with its 2 ring hob, being square I can get them side by side for frying as the 2 pieces come apart whereas I can't have 2 frying pans or a frying pan and saucepan unless one is very small.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There is no such thing as a nice sprout :sick:
On most Sundays when I was a lad I used to ask my mum if I had time to nip up the local for half an hour or so to have a pint with my pals. She'd reply: "Yes, that's fine, I've only just put the sprouts on".
50 yrs on it's the standard reply in the family when anyone asks if there's time to do something.
How we laugh.
My scatter-brained busy mother didn't like cooking.
(It wasn't til I was married that I realised that fish fingers weren't supposed to be black on one side).

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
My mother-in-law used to cook sprouts which when served were that very faded green of being overboiled and when using a fork to pick one up used to dissolve into a mushy pile of something foul and overcooked! It was hard to remember what an uncooked sprout looked like compared with those monstrosities!

One of our favourite phrases is one often said by her which made me want to spit blood - "I don't live to cook like you, Mindy, I cook to live"!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bought a genuine Ridge Monkey XL Christmas, flipping small for an XL.
Does the standard one come with a magnifying glass?

Expensive for a couple of small frying pans but does work well as it seems to spread the heat evenly.
Only used it 3 or 4 times and one of the buttons that operates the spring on the handle has fallen off.

So question is what are the cheaper copies like as I'm wondering to either get a replacement or get a refund and buy a cheaper one.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thats not an omelette, omelettes are supposed to be nice and runny in the middle after you have folded them.
Ha! I like a runny omelette too but Mr Hils and Glenns doesn't. The only reason I say don't turn the pan until the eggs are solidish is because I did that once and it was very messy. :LOL:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Expensive for a couple of small frying pans but does work well as it seems to spread the heat evenly.
Only used it 3 or 4 times and one of the buttons that operates the spring on the handle has fallen off.

So question is what are the cheaper copies like as I'm wondering to either get a replacement or get a refund and buy a cheaper one.
Ours is made by TF Gear. Was about £11 on amazon. Bought it 9 months ago and it's had a lot of use at home. The non-stick is still perfect, no problems with the pan at all ??

Carp Pro Camping Sandwich Toaster... Amazon product ASIN B07H9D6T2P

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015

Yes our Ridge Monkey has lost it little button too. I'm not impressed but HWMBO prefers it. We also have a Kampa. I prefer it. No faffing about with the bag and the handles and it does the same job and is cheaper.
Amazon product ASIN B071GC7B16

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours is made by TF Gear. Was about £11 on amazon. Bought it 9 months ago and it's had a lot of use at home. The non-stick is still perfect, no problems with the pan at all ??

Carp Pro Camping Sandwich Toaster... Amazon product ASIN B07H9D6T2P
Looks a bit difficult to fry eggs in that one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back