GoPro: any advice before purchase appreciated (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thinking about getting our youngsters a GoPro between them. They are all pretty active and i'm sure it would be well used in all manor of ways: on the SUP, Canoe, Skating, those plank things strapped to your feet when you throw yourself down a mountain etc etc

Had a look and seem to think that a GoPro 7 silver was a reasonable choice bit wondered if there's anyone that can offer any advice ? Also wondered about how to mount them onto said gizmos, i assume there's a unique bracket for each one that will end up costing as much as the camera itself.....

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Is that the one that hikers use? Find a hiking website and ask there.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I use a Crosstour camera for swimming which is basically a rip off GoPro with lots of accessories at a bargain price.

It gets good reviews and I have been really pleased with it , they could have one each with money to spare for the cost of a GoPro.

However if they are brand conscious I guess the GoPro is the one to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMB

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know nothing about GoPro but anything which can do 4K video at 60 fps shouldn't disappoint. The advantage of 60 fps over the more usual 30 fps is it does slow motion better so the moment a leg is broken can be analyzed and lessons learned more effectively. :) Don't stint on the SD card either.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Agree with comments above. Don't pay a premium just because it's a Go Pro. Had a Go Pro stolen and replaced with a Crosstour. Does exactly the same from our viewpoint

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Another vote for the Crosstour, I have one as helmet cam every bit as good as my daughter's Gopro

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I know nothing about GoPro but anything which can do 4K video at 60 fps shouldn't disappoint. The advantage of 60 fps over the more usual 30 fps is it does slow motion better so the moment a leg is broken can be analyzed and lessons learned more effectively. :) Don't stint on the SD card either.

That's great info about the FPS and slomo video, thank you

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I use a Crosstour camera for swimming which is basically a rip off GoPro with lots of accessories at a bargain price.

It gets good reviews and I have been really pleased with it , they could have one each with money to spare for the cost of a GoPro.

However if they are brand conscious I guess the GoPro is the one to get.
Agree with comments above. Don't pay a premium just because it's a Go Pro. Had a Go Pro stolen and replaced with a Crosstour. Does exactly the same from our viewpoint
Another vote for the Crosstour, I have one as helmet cam every bit as good as my daughter's Gopro

Will certainly have a look at the Crosstour, they're not too brand oriented so i'd rather get a better memory card and a few brackets, attachments etc and not have to worry too much about camera itself, if it gets used and damaged then hey hoy. Some how i can see it getting strapped to the dog and being used in all manor of ways.

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
From my pic you'll guess I scuba dive........many use the real McCoy but I have a "Go Pro Not" ( as I like to call it!) there is vey little difference that only the real serious videographer would know! The pack comes with ALL the various attachments needed to "hold it"......head, chest, wrist, handlebars, windscreen etc.
My dives take me to 30m regularly and the waterproof case has NEVER leaked.........I believe the McCoy is good to 40m! Used it skiing via a stick on helmet attachment.............Schumacher did the same, so be careful!!!!!!! You can link via Bluetooth to phone or iPad app to replay the videos..........you can take stills too but this is not what the McCoy was designed for so the quality is only just OK
I last paid £30 on EBay for mine (but got one for my son at £27), so well worth it.........and I'm a great believer in the saying 'buy cheap, by twice' but in this instance I don't believe it applies.
Save yourself a fortune unless you're minted or a serious movie maker???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many reviews for APEMAN/CROSSTOUR etc say the 4K is not up to true 4K standard.
1080HD @ 60fpm is far better and the battery will last longer.
Some state well over an hour per battery..... 40 minutes is more realistic.

Most of the cheap mount kits will accept the Go-Pro but you do get what you pay for.

I've had three so far. Two apeman and one cross tour.
Two were returned, one APEMAN one CROSSTOUR, as the audio didn't work at all even using the plug in microphone and the one I have now has no audio either but Amazon told me to keep it and refunded in full.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I've used a 1080p contour for ages both skiing, diving to 30 m, motor and mountain biking and have used it as a doggy cam as well and been v happy with it. Gopro has a much larger range of accessories, but most copies now use their fittings format so you should be able to get loads of bits. Wouldn't buy a gopro in summary, but would go for a clone.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I've seen the replies. I have a Gopro. and its brilliant for our snowboarding adventures.

If you want to disappoint your kids then get them the Crosstour. Not because anything is wrong with it, as I have one too and it's as good as the Go Pro..

but, they are kids

It ain't a GoPro

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Will certainly have a look at the Crosstour, they're not too brand oriented so i'd rather get a better memory card and a few brackets, attachments etc and not have to worry too much about camera itself, if it gets used and damaged then hey hoy. Some how i can see it getting strapped to the dog and being used in all manor of ways.
The Crosstour comes with a whole selection of attachments , if you leave a review you then get a couple more items sent to you including a couple of spare batteries . There are lots of reviews of them on amazon and YouTube videos of all the kit included which are worth looking at.

I think it’s really good to be honest, I am not techy but there is an app and I can download photos and videos directly from the device which is brilliant for something that is less than £40.

I take it when I go swimming and find it perfect to use and given the price I am not worried about losing it .

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I use an Escape HD5W from Kitvision
Has WiFi so you can use it remotely from your phone or tablet
All the other bits and bobs I've used to destruction and replaced with a kit from Action (France lovers will know the shop [like B&M only better quality])

I have no problems with picture quality (1080P) and the video is as good as the one on my DJI drone.
and underwater is as good as my old (now dead) Sea and Sea 400 if not better though not taken very deep just yet (waiting for summer at present)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you leave a review you then get a couple more items sent to you including a couple of spare batteries . There are lots of reviews of them on amazon
Yes, there are, all generated by the promise of a free gift for a 5* review. (which is against Amazon policy)
I got a pair of 1250ma lithium batteries and charger, but as I said.... Audio didn't work on either APEMAN unit so the 5* review got down rated accordingly.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
With the advent of 4K motion stabilised video and 240 FPS slow mo in the latest iPhones, personally I wouldn't bother any more (and I do own a number of Go pros, (GPHero2 and a GP5 Black ed) the GP 5 doesn't even come close to the quality of my iphone any more.
The go pro is clunky, awkward, requires a "mount" that never quite fits where you need it to the batteries only last 2.5 hrs and the internal microphone is diabolical...
iPhone and a selfie stick is all you need really

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Used it skiing via a stick on helmet attachment.............Schumacher did the same, so be careful!!!!!!!

I understood that the problem Schumacher had was that he didn’t use the stick on attachment but rather ‘bolted’ it on. It was the ‘bolt’ that pierced his skull.

Ian

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ive has a couple of GoPro clones and proper GoPros. Currently have a GoPro 5 Black. You can get proper mounts and copy mounts that are almost as good that are a lot cheaper, and work almost as well.
the GP 5 has image stabilisation, proper 4K video, touch screen and Voice Control. Image quality is excellent too.
i tried to convince myself that the copies were as good as the original, but, for me, they fell short. Others love the copies though, and may prefer them, so I am just talking about my own experience.
And, as others have said, kids will want the real thing, not a clone.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I understood that the problem Schumacher had was that he didn’t use the stick on attachment but rather ‘bolted’ it on. It was the ‘bolt’ that pierced his skull.

Ian
Where did you get that information? I have been watching Michael’s progress and not see that info.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Where did you get that information? I have been watching Michael’s progress and not see that info.

It was from a keen skier buddy. I haven’t sought to independently validate the information.

Ian

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Like others on here I use my Go Pro for scuba diving and when sailing, I have stayed with my Go Pro Hero 4 which is brilliant deepest it has been with the go pro waterproof case is 52mtrs and given excellent results.
I have also bought a £40 copy of the Go Pro with a case and it has performed excellent at upto 30mtrs plus many 1000,s of motorcycle journeys.
I would suggest looking for a good condition S/H Go-Pro there are plenty around.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
The Go-pro is a make favoured by horse riders, I had one and they are good.
I would imagine that most of the activity's involved will include the use of a helmet, so I should think you'll be able to mount it on those just as riders do.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki

Ian
I can't comment on how he used it, all I can say is that they should come with a rubberised strap that goes round your riding hat/helmet.
I will now brace myself for the comments about rubber straps & helmets....:xeek:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Absolutely no idea of this type of camera but there just happens to be a review of the DJI Osmo Action in one of the computer mags I have a subscription for. It gets 5 stars and, allegedly, compares very favourably against the GoPro Hero 7 Black.
It might be the best thing since sliced bread or a heap of poo but thought I'd just let the OP know. Others involved in this field may have experience of it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
It was from a keen skier buddy. I haven’t sought to independently validate the information.

Ian

completely agree. I have lost several cameras after huge accidents where the mounts have been stuck on. The stick on mount will always give before your helmet does.
Can't say I know the truth about it being bolted on only that some "were" choosing to do that prior to and oddly enough ,still doing so.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thinking about getting our youngsters a GoPro between them. They are all pretty active and i'm sure it would be well used in all manor of ways: on the SUP, Canoe, Skating, those plank things strapped to your feet when you throw yourself down a mountain etc etc

Had a look and seem to think that a GoPro 7 silver was a reasonable choice bit wondered if there's anyone that can offer any advice ? Also wondered about how to mount them onto said gizmos, i assume there's a unique bracket for each one that will end up costing as much as the camera itself.....
Got the older Go Pro Hero+ Only HD not 4K, but does 60fps for slow mo. Never really got into 4K, those file sizes are huge. You can get a Neewer attachment set for about £16 with all kinds of gizmos. I also have an Olympus Tough TG 6. You could take that thing on the moon and it would still work. Indestructable.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I've seen the replies. I have a Gopro. and its brilliant for our snowboarding adventures.

If you want to disappoint your kids then get them the Crosstour. Not because anything is wrong with it, as I have one too and it's as good as the Go Pro..

but, they are kids

It ain't a GoPro

If they complain get them to read this thread.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I upgraded from a 4 to a 5
That was after trying various clones
I like the software you get too, though it is worth mentioning it has to run on computer set up with a 64bit OS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back