Charity for this years auction (1 Viewer)

Which charity should we donate to this year

• Help for Heroes

Votes: 112 39.7%
  • NSPCC

Votes: 19 6.7%
  • Alzheimers Society

Votes: 49 17.4%
  • Julia's House (Dorset Childrens Hospice)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • Celia Hammond Trust

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Hope House (Childrens Hospice)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • RNLI

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • Prostate Cancer Research

Votes: 63 22.3%

• Total voters

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This year for our charity auction, rather than everyone sending cheques to Dylan (Eilleen) I am setting up a MotorhomeFun account so that Funsters can pay for the auction items more easily. Setting up I have to choose a charity or two. The last 3 years we have donated to the NSPCC and just last year there was a help the heroes option too.

This year before I choose the charities I thought I might get some suggestions from you guys. Do you know of any deserving charities out there? Maybe we could have a vote. Thanks

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

but seriously

Link Removed

any of us might need them sadly.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
One that springs to mind and I have raised a few hundred pounds for is = http://www.juliashouse.org/

To see some of them brings a lump and a tear to your eyes,, knowing that the poor little things have only a short time on this earth.. Such a cruel world..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Haven house and mencap and Celia Hammond Trust always spend any donated money well.

but as long as its not a charity that spends more on administration than on its cause I dont mind

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
charity

hi jim we have a local childrens hospice called Hope House,a very worthy cause its a very humbling place reagrds brian jo and josh

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Agree Gail thanks for pointing that out

Hi Eileen they all charge but I appreciate some more than others, I will check. but it should be a small price to pay to make much easier for Funsters to pay, I had so many emails last year from Funsters that don't even own a cheque book and wanted a better way to pay.

The admin will be easier to, because it will be easy to see when a bidder has paid:thumb: I know some Funsters frustrated you by taking so long to find a cheque and pay last year:Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Juia's House from me too..
Have actively supported CLIC ( subsequently CLIC Sargent ) for many years, and all the smaller organisations doing similar and better works will always get my vote

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So when will we be able to put stuff up for auction Jim ?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I hope the original poster wont mind but I have copied and pasted the relevant comments to this post.

quote "In my books charity begins at home,, .............................

I for one will not give to a charity where the benefit goes out of this country or towards paying Fat Cat Wages........" end quote

I think this is a good point to be borne in mind when chosing an auction for motorhomefun to donate to.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
dont forget theres not so many of us as there was last year,

maybe choose 1 or possibly 2 good causes?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
This year for our charity auction, rather than everyone sending cheques to Dylan (Eilleen) I am setting up a MotorhomeFun account so that Funsters can pay for the auction items more easily. Setting up I have to choose a charity or two. The last 3 years we have donated to the NSPCC and just last year there was a help the heroes option too.

This year before I choose the charities I thought I might get some suggestions from you guys. Do you know of any deserving charities out there? Maybe we could have a vote. Thanks

Hi Jim,

When can we start putting our charity items on the forum and where do we put them???

Ginny and Mike

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
What about the RNLI...they receive nothing but public donations and save thousands of lives?

And, seeing as I have never been here before it's worth asking how does this work??

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a simple format, take a look at last years
Link Removed

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Please give a thought about donating to Prostate Cancer Research, It affects many elderly men and as many of us on this forum are getting on in years we may benefit from their Research as I have had to.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Please give a thought about donating to Prostate Cancer Research, It affects many elderly men and as many of us on this forum are getting on in years we may benefit from their Research as I have had to.

Actually after your original post looked it up as saw I had a few of the symptoms (scary) just had the all clear.

A VERY good cause!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Before I vote can anyone say how much of any donation the charity ends up with ? ie what percentage it actually gets after all the fat cat overheads are met ? Thinking along the lines of the national charity's like HELP for Heroes, NSPCC, & RNLI rather than the local ones- although if the local ones get all the money as opposed to say 50 % by the big ones they can have my vote :thumb:
terry
When I was young a lady sold cancer research tickets for 50 p out of which she kept 25p for selling them, then the bloke kept 12,5 p from what was left of that for taking them to her etc etc The CR ended up with 5 p in the pound :Eeek::Angry:

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
we would like to propose support for the british lung foundation ?.

there are thousands of people who suffer in silence and finnance is needed for research into this rapidly increasing condition known as c.o.p.d.

we would not be supprised to find many of our members with the condition !.

it would be great if some support could be forthcoming ..

regards rayval..:Smile:

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
My wife's father died from MND (motor neurone disease) it's a horrible illness to which there is no known cure. Motor neurones are the cells that control voluntary muscle activity, including walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body.
It can effect anybody any age, regardless of gender or fitness.
There are thousands of charities that are all deserving, but this is the one I prefer to donate to.
As already mentioned, charity begins at home.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
There are so many "home" charities that we all feel need support as many of us have been touched in one way or another by what they support; Cancer, MS Motor Neurone to name but a very few.

Would it be wrong to suggest that Jim, if he or one of his kind family is willing, takes the names of all of them puts them in a hat and pull out the one that will be supported? Would that be a fair way of doing it?

Just an idea:Blush:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
What about the RNLI...they receive nothing but public donations and save thousands of lives?

And, seeing as I have never been here before it's worth asking how does this work??

This is one charity although undoubtedly does exellent work will not get my vote, a freind of mine who died three years ago left every thing to them which amounted to an estate of close to £800,000, because the will only stated after buriel fees, we had to threaten to sue (and spend money on lawyers) because they didn't want to pay for a headstone out of the estate, they said it was not part of burial fees, heck I should have been able to spend 10k and they shouldn't complain.

All the best Rick

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think it's terribly difficult asking a 'national' organisation to support a "local" charity - I'm sure the local hospices deserve the dosh, but which one doesn't?

Hence I have voted for one of the national charities. And it would appear that so far that's what most are doing - we'll see!

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I think it's terribly difficult asking a 'national' organisation to support a "local" charity - I'm sure the local hospices deserve the dosh, but which one doesn't?

Hence I have voted for one of the national charities. And it would appear that so far that's what most are doing - we'll see!

Sorry ...I'm confused??....is anyone asking for a hospice to be supported? I can only see National charities.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
from the Help the Heros web site:

'Money in, money out'. We spend all that we get. and all our admin costs are covered by selling H4H merchandise through Help for Heroes Trading.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My Dad died of Alzheimers, Parkinsons and Leukemia....

Not a nice way to go....But he had a good life.

I have voted for the Kid's Hospices...I know he wouldn't begrudge me this.

Let them enjoy what life they have.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
They are all good causes but the national ones all get plenty of support and the local kid's ones will not.

Any gift from us will be far more apreciated by them, the nationals will just be a drop in the ocean.

Kids for me

Peter

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
Prostate cancer .

I always sponser children with leukaemia reasons my first and second mother in laws died of cancer first one was only 37 years old .i was only in early 20s.then in 1997 my younger brother died of testicular cancer at 33yrs but the weirdest thing happened not long after he was buried a book of tickets came through my door from st ormonds and i decided to sell some and bought some myself call this fate but you may not beleive me but i won not one but two rover 400 cars i even put the phone down as i thought someone was pulling my leg.they were presented by pauline quirk who is going through it in emmerdale at the moment although its not real or is it as it all has touched someone in real life at one time at another.But i think putting them all in a Hat is Best and the one that needs the Most support will come out if you beleive in fate like i do.we took my mam on holliday just after my brother died me winning was that fate ?.Nigel.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As an ex HM Forces chap H4H will get my vote..as would any service charity...RBL...BLESMA...Army Benevolent Fund... to name just 3 Thing is a lot of service charities are uppermost in peoples mind as Afghanistan gets a lot of column inches in all the newspapers and on the TV News...not a day goes by without some report of young service personnel being killed or maimed..but they still do the job and get on with it..some of the injuries these guys are returning with are horrendous..and believe me it's not just the physical scars that show either..some of the mental ones take a long time to heal too

So for me definately H4H

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back