The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (5 Viewers)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
How we getting on in this pissing weather Mango? Good job you had the exterior sealed up when you did :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Hello, I was then thinking I should probably do an update. Been massively busy recently haven't had much chance to do anything!!

Decided to quit my job and persue a completely new career because I hate cars, so that's had me pretty occupied.

Weather hasn't been to bad this weekend actually, but the week was terrible. I can safely say I'm leak free ? drilled lots of holes in the stupid box section to see if I was gathering any, but nope, dry as a bin.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
1574616271077.jpg
Got all the battening in the walls for bed lift and cupboards ect, ready for the layer of celotex to fly over the top. Floor insulated, vapour barrier down and ply on ready for the finish floor. (she picked up some top quality oak parquet flooring off gumtree for a bargain price)

Thats not going down until its motd and weighed though. I've postponed the mot from end of next week until its completely plyed ....

Pretty busy

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
No lol. I was too stressed at work, always bringing it home with me. The potential earnings weren't that far off what I was getting and I was generally unhappy. Also standing on concrete all day has given me a bad heel, and with all the health and safety in place it's still hard to avoid fumes and paint dust ect.

So I'm now at the bottom of the ladder. Groundworkers labourer. Stand in the mud, dig holes and swear at inanimate objects. It's great. Absolutely love it. It's cold wet and muddy, but I'll take that over being cooped up in a workshop all day.

Also the future money is alot better. But that is a tiny factor in my change.

Im three days in and already saying "THIS IS MY SHOVEL, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE"

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
No lol. I was too stressed at work, always bringing it home with me. The potential earnings weren't that far off what I was getting and I was generally unhappy. Also standing on concrete all day has given me a bad heel, and with all the health and safety in place it's still hard to avoid fumes and paint dust ect.

So I'm now at the bottom of the ladder. Groundworkers labourer. Stand in the mud, dig holes and swear at inanimate objects. It's great. Absolutely love it. It's cold wet and muddy, but I'll take that over being cooped up in a workshop all day.

Also the future money is alot better. But that is a tiny factor in my change.

Im three days in and already saying "THIS IS MY SHOVEL, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE"

Seriously? Good for you for taking action but I can't imagine anything worse than standing in a wet hole all day. From your work on the truck you re clearly a talented and hardworking chap. Hope you find your way out of the hole and into something better real fast. there is a lot more steel (mesh and girders) in modern buildings wouldnt that combine the two?

Jon

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Seriously? Good for you for taking action but I can't imagine anything worse than standing in a wet hole all day. From your work on the truck you re clearly a talented and hardworking chap. Hope you find your way out of the hole and into something better real fast. there is a lot more steel (mesh and girders) in modern buildings wouldnt that combine the two?

Jon
I love wet holes. My friend is pulling £950 a week just pouring concrete in holes. Don't really understand what you mean by better?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I love wet holes. My friend is pulling £950 a week just pouring concrete in holes. Don't really understand what you mean by better?
If it makes you happy that is ALL that matters. I couldn't imagine a more miserable job for myself.
However, loads of people when they find out I sit at a computer for up to 12 hours in a day typing in code and fixing server issues think it is the most boring job in the world and it would drive them mad.

Some people love physical work, some love mental work and others love dealing with people. We are not all the same and the trick is to find a job that you can tolerate or even enjoy and pays more than the minimum wage (y)...

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
If it makes you happy that is ALL that matters. I couldn't imagine a more miserable job for myself.
However, loads of people when they find out I sit at a computer for up to 12 hours in a day typing in code and fixing server issues think it is the most boring job in the world and it would drive them mad.

Some people love physical work, some love mental work and others love dealing with people. We are not all the same and the trick is to find a job that you can tolerate or even enjoy and pays more than the minimum wage (y)...
I love fishing and playing golf:LOL:

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Fabricating classic car panels was okay, I was pretty good at it if I do say so myself. But it's just the same corner of the same building everyday, same seat in the tea room, same start and finish time, same old cars, same old blokes talking about how much they hate it, same same same. Drove me insame. I looked at the other guys and thought I do not want to be one of them.

Carpe diem

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
1574851198651.jpg
1574851214733.jpg
1574851245906.jpg
This is a completely hand made mud guard for some old piece of crap car. Started with a flat sheet of aluminium. Cut two bits out, shaped them, welded them together, then put a wired edge on. Whole lot of wheeling....... Still take the shovel though ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is a completely hand made mud guard for some old piece of crap car. Started with a flat sheet of aluminium. Cut two bits out, shaped them, welded them together, then put a wired edge on. Whole lot of wheeling....... Still take the shovel though ?

I would take the sheet metal work over the shovel :D

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Same here. Welding isn't that well paid to be honest but I like creating things and fixing things so I'm as happy as a pig in shit doing this sort of work. Even better now I don't have an arse for a boss too! ?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Did you ever watch Boyd Coddington's tv show, "Americam Hotrod"?
Can't say I have. Generally speaking though car shows that do bodywork make me cringe. Always have the rusty shot, then the shiny shot. None of the interesting stuff in-between.... Make you wonder how much mesh and filler they used ??.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Nah, it's not one of those kinda shows, they show you all the body panels that are fabricated by hand, using sheet metal and like yourself, some serious rolling :)

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Seems to be a dieing/dead trade in this country. I know alot of body fabrication gets done in Eastern Europe. The money is pants and its really hard. The theory will get you nowhere it's all just practise. Takes soo long to make anything and can easily be scrapped with a few wrong moves.

I just watched a few bits of American hotrod. It's the only car restoration program where I have seen the guys TIG welding body panels, which is the only way to do it, that or gas. NEVER EVER MIG. They look like they know exactly what they are doing. ??

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
More and more work places are installing CCTV.
They installed it in the workshop at the last dealership that I worked at so I complained and was told like it or lump it. So I went off sick for 3 days with Scopophobia { fear of cameras } at a Dealership at Shrewsbury near Rollinghomes. I was then sacked. I am now self-employed as a Mobile Motorhome Technician.

Dirtyhands

Free Member
Nov 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I read a book about it once...
More and more work places are installing CCTV.
They installed it in the workshop at the last dealership that I worked at so I complained and was told like it or lump it. So I went off sick for 3 days with Scopophobia { fear of cameras } at a Dealership at Shrewsbury near Rollinghomes. I was then sacked. I am now self-employed as a Mobile Motorhome Technician.
Whats the problem with cameras if you have nothing to hide?

Mangoforth, there is nowt wrong with digging holes, good on you for finding a job you enjoy. We spend most of our life working so why waste time doing a job you dislike?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back