OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Mindy Mark and Mindy Have you considered amigurami crochet? Your could make little animals as mascots, toys and tags to hang from handbags. Small and portable and a little bit challenging as you need to learn to 'yarn under' rather then 'yarn over'.

I've already put in a little advert for "octopus for a preemie.com" but there are other charity organisations like "handmadewithlovepreemieblankets". The only problem is the cost of postage at £3 for up to 2 kilos.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Hello Mindy Mark and Mindy Have you considered amigurami crochet? Your could make little animals as mascots, toys and tags to hang from handbags. Small and portable and a little bit challenging as you need to learn to 'yarn under' rather then 'yarn over'.

I've already put in a little advert for "octopus for a preemie.com" but there are other charity organisations like "handmadewithlovepreemieblankets". The only problem is the cost of postage at £3 for up to 2 kilos.
I did look at the preemie octopus and blankets but I am in a pet household so don't think that would be suitable, especially as I would be doing it in our tiny van in the company of our border terrier.

However, I just loved the amigurumi crochet, sooo cute! Definitely something that I could make assuming that I can get the hang of the stitches, I'm browsing YouTube as I've found some free patterns already.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I did look at the preemie octopus and blankets but I am in a pet household so don't think that would be suitable, especially as I would be doing it in our tiny van in the company of our border terrier.

However, I just loved the amigurumi crochet, sooo cute! Definitely something that I could make assuming that I can get the hang of the stitches, I'm browsing YouTube as I've found some free patterns already.
We have two cats who live here and two granddogs who visit frequently. I keep my octopals in ziplock bags and wash my hands before making. Lots of makers have pets, you just have to be careful.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Hils and Glenns this is what I’ve been up to!

View attachment 348142

And this is the blanket I have made.

View attachment 348143
Gorgeous! I love the blanket, is it Persian tiles?

I am making one for or bed (just started in between Christmas projects) and narrowed it down to Persian tiles or Dream Weaver which is what I eventually went with.
FAD8A540-DE5D-4E71-9E5F-70633D367053.jpeg

Mrs Badknee

Funster
Oct 11, 2014
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Full time
Gorgeous! I love the blanket, is it Persian tiles?

I am making one for or bed (just started in between Christmas projects) and narrowed it down to Persian tiles or Dream Weaver which is what I eventually went with. View attachment 348365
Hi Ven yes it is Persian tiles, I am doing a further 4 tiles extra to the pattern to make it a bit bigger. Using my own colour choice out of what is left as I didn’t want any the same. Your blanket looks lovely.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I am loving Amigurami more and more. The Christmas gnome I made for my MIL was rather popular with Dave’s brother and number 1 nephew so I have made them one each but didn’t think his number 2 nephew would appreciate it as he’s at that “everything’s boring” age ;)
B052CFF6-08C1-4FF2-AC9B-E9C1B8F74A99.jpeg

I attempted a Scary snowman for him but I don’t think he’s turned out very scary :)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Ven yes it is Persian tiles, I am doing a further 4 tiles extra to the pattern to make it a bit bigger. Using my own colour choice out of what is left as I didn’t want any the same. Your blanket looks lovely.
It looks lovely ?

I have the same problem, the finished blanket will be a bit short for our van bed so I am hoping to add some stripes to the top and bottom. I haven’t got to worry about it for a while as I’m only on the first square.

This is a finished version someone did.
7D45517C-BDA9-41A0-9F93-F2AC41B4FD9A.jpeg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Ven and Mrs Badknee These shapes are certainly a step-up from granny squares but all those ends to weave in :Eeek:
Angela, I think your colours are inspired by the Spanish sun. A friend of mine did equisite excquisite exquisite (well beautiful) embroidery using hot colours.

I'll have to investigate these Persian Tiles and Dream Weaver but they do look a bit challenging to me.

Jenben Hi Carolyn - are you raring to go? Are you following the videos. Will you show us your early attempts as Joy movan did in her first few weeks?

I'm off now to finish stuffing octopals to get them in the post before the end of the month.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ven and Mrs Badknee These shapes are certainly a step-up from granny squares but all those ends to weave in :Eeek:
Angela, I think your colours are inspired by the Spanish sun. A friend of mine did equisite excquisite exquisite (well beautiful) embroidery using hot colours.

I'll have to investigate these Persian Tiles and Dream Weaver but they do look a bit challenging to me.

Jenben Hi Carolyn - are you raring to go? Are you following the videos. Will you show us your early attempts as Joy movan did in her first few weeks?

I'm off now to finish stuffing octopals to get them in the post before the end of the month.

I couldn’t have tackled this a year ago but I have put in so many hours since that it is mostly making sense ;) I have had to frog and start a couple of rounds from the beginning though :) It’s the first pattern I have actually paid for so I am determined to finish it whenever that may be.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Carolyn - are you raring to go? Are you following the videos. Will you show us your early attempts as Joy @movan did in her first few weeks?

hello aunty Pam . I watched one of the Bella you tube videos last night , crochet hook on its way .

I will share my endeavours.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
THIS IS JUST FOR INFORMATION/INTEREST...

My nan more or less brought me up until she died, when I was aged 10.. She was very special. Her first husband was killed in World War 1.. A mere boy himself.. leaving her alone with a baby in times when single mums, even widows, were not helped as today. The baby, and 3 others in later years, died of malnutrition. She married my grandad, who was a bustard to her. She had a terrible life but I really loved her.

Nan was as hopeless at crocheting and knitting as I am.. :).. But when my mum was pregnant with me my nan pulled out all the stops and made this for me.. Her one and only finished piece.

Those of you who know how old I am will appreciate its age and value to me. Believe it or not, I still have moments when I ache for her, and still miss her so much.

IMG_20191127_143708.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

My nan more or less brought me up until she died, when I was aged 10.. She was very special. Her first husband was killed in World War 1.. A mere boy himself.. leaving her alone with a baby in times when single mums, even widows, were not helped as today. The baby, and 3 others in later years, died of malnutrition. She married my grandad, who was a bustard to her. She had a terrible life but I really loved her.

She was as hopeless at crocheting and knitting as I am.. :).. But when my mum was pregnant with me she pulled out all the stops and made this for me.. Her one and only finished piece.

Those of you who know how old I am will appreciate its age and value to me. Believe it or not, I still have moments when I ache for her, and still miss her so much.

View attachment 348679
Sending hugs Joy , a wonderful treasure that your mum made with love. :hugs:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well that was a satisfying day of turning stash into something which I might actually wear. Tunic dress complete (apart from hemming so it might be a while before I wear it ) .
View attachment 348687
You make a dress in a day!!!?
Crocheting will be a doddle!!??

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Well that was a satisfying day of turning stash into something which I might actually wear. Tunic dress complete (apart from hemming so it might be a while before I wear it ) .
View attachment 348687
How ???? How do you just conjour up these amazing things?? After several attempts, surrounded by bits of fabric stitched together ( none of which fitted) I gave up on riding shirts for the doll. Oh how I wish I could make something with shape.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
You make a dress in a day!!!?
Crocheting will be a doddle!!??
How ???? How do you just conjour up these amazing things?? After several attempts, surrounded by bits of fabric stitched together ( none of which fitted) I gave up on riding shirts for the doll. Oh how I wish I could make something with shape.

I am not very good and sometimes get disheartened by my sewing skills and don’t make anything complicated, this involved using a loop turner which was very exciting. I now try to just do stuff that I know I might actually wear , it’s all about having a go but I have plans to make a coat next !

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

Nan was as hopeless at crocheting and knitting as I am.. :).. But when my mum was pregnant with me my nan pulled out all the stops and made this for me.. Her one and only finished piece.

View attachment 348679

What a lovely and precious keepsake. Sending you hugs ? xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back