Hacked Skype account (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Out of the blue today I received an email from Skype informing me that I had successfully changed my email addy .. I had NOT requested this.. and it was a genuine email .. someone has hacked my account and changed both email and password :Angry::Angry:

when I tried to log in to my account my password wouldn't work and when I tried to change it I couldn't because my email was now changed .. :Doh:

has anyone ever tried to contact Skype or report a problem when you can't log in ?
It is almost impossible.. I tried going on the Skype forum .. and you guessed, you need to log in first :Doh:

in the end I created a new account and then went round the houses several times trying to find a way to report the hacked account .. I am still waiting for a reply ..

copy of email

sent by

noreply@notifications.skype.com

Hi there James *******,

Registered email successfully changed.
We've updated your registered email address to j13610@j13610.com. Visit your account to review your changes at any time.

If you have not changed your email address, please contact Skype Customer Service with any questions as someone may have fraudulently gained access to your account.
Talk soon,
The people at Skype

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Flippin' 'eck Jim!:Eeek: Keep us posted will you please. I've only just got Skype so I can talk to my folks! Last thing I need is hacking!:cry:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Flippin' 'eck Jim!:Eeek: Keep us posted will you please. I've only just got Skype so I can talk to my folks! Last thing I need is hacking!:cry:

I'm a bit concerned myself that someone could abuse the account.. as soon as I get word back from Skype will let you know the outcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just had a reply from Skype

Re: SP002-MC: HACKED Account

Hello

We are sorry to hear that a third party might have gained access to your account and your email address might also have been changed.
Therefore we have reset your email address to the one you used when you first registered with Skype.

To ensure that you are the only one who can access your account, we advise you to change your password as soon as possible. You can change your password by visiting:
https://secure.skype.com/account/password-reset-request

After you have changed your password and accessed your account, please contact us again by replying to this email. Please include in your email:

all previous correspondence with us that is relevant to your case
your Skype Name
When we receive this information, we will unblock your account.

Unfortunately, Skype is unable to refund any money that may have been lost because of this incident.

We urge you to check that your PC’s security systems are running properly and that they are up to date. To prevent these incidents, Skype strongly advises you to regularly update your PC's security software, for example your firewall and any antivirus software. It is possible that a program, such as a trojan or a key logger, could be installed on your computer. It could be collecting and sending information from your computer to a third party who will use this information abusively.

Also, you need to be aware of different 'phishing' sites, or Skype chat messages from strangers, that contain links or ask you to reveal personal information, such as your password or your credit card numbers. If you use Skype on a public computer, then always remember to sign out of your account and quit Skype completely when you have finished using it.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
just had a reply from Skype

Hmmmm, unless I'm missing something, that sounds very much like.............
"yes, we accept it happened, no, we're not gonna compen' you for any out of pocket, no we dont think its our end and it's up to you to sort it out!" :Eeek:

Any ideas?

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Both Sheree and myself had our skype accounts hacked and our usernames changed,
the funny thing is they'd put money into the account just before we had them stopped.
It was funny because our skype is free!!

cheers....nige

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Haven't studied all the posts in this thread as am about to do the quiz but...

last year my Skype account was hacked into and I have a Skypeout account with automatic top up via Paypal.

After 3 "top ups" of €20 each in 12 hours I contacted them...

Initially neither Skype nor Paypal were going to do anything but after a fair bit oif effort I was repaid the money by both of them and ended up in profit!!!

This was posted on Fun somewhere...

Stick at it and they give in in the end...

JJ :thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
in there reply skype said to log out every time .so what happens if you forget to log back on can other skypers get in tuch with you .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hmmmm, unless I'm missing something, that sounds very much like.............
"yes, we accept it happened, no, we're not gonna compen' you for any out of pocket, no we dont think its our end and it's up to you to sort it out!" :Eeek:

Any ideas?

No idea how or who hacked it ..as I said to Doug, I'm using a Mac which up till now has been watertight .. that's not to say I'm complacent about internet sites or dodgy emails..
I'm as clued up as the next guy when it comes to that .. never open email attachments from unknown addresses.. in fact Gmail usually puts them in the spam bin if not known.

I've searched for clues but nothing obvious on line ..

I tried to re activate the Skype account as per instructions but as I had tried too many times before reporting the problem it has blocked my email for a further 24 hrs ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, I am sure skype would know if someone was trying a dictionary style attack on your account. There is a very real possibility your PC has a trojan, If I were you I would change all my passwords on all accounts especially the bank and Paypal etc, but from another PC, and get a throrough scan of your PC before you login into anything even remotely financial. Best of luck.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim skype customer service seems pretty bad, see here: Link Removed

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, I am sure skype would know if someone was trying a dictionary style attack on your account. There is a very real possibility your PC has a trojan, If I were you I would change all my passwords on all accounts especially the bank and Paypal etc, but from another PC, and get a throrough scan of your PC before you login into anything even remotely financial. Best of luck.

Thanks..

I've been looking online for any recent security issues with Mac OS X .. only one came to light, a cross platform trojan that can be picked up from social networking sites .. such as Facebook, comes disguised as a video .. , it affects both Windows and OS X

Ran the removal tool and found nothing ..

more info here Link Removed

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
http://www.trusteer.com/webform/download-rapport

wont stop the hackers but will stop you inadvertantly logging into a 'cloned' website and allowing others your log in details.

originally supplied to me by santander bank

It only prevents Man in Browser attacks

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Man-in-the-browser_attack

They have a package to have a look at your PC if things go wrong, its called Flashlight.

From memory, its free for customers but a lot of dosh for banks,

The expected life expectancy of such software is 3 years.

The next development is Device Fingerprinting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_fingerprint

There are tools there which find out a bit about your PC... Try it..

http://browserspy.dk/

ShiftZZ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all went over my head ZZ but i figure it this way...

if i have an internet banking problem, santander are going to say "we sent you a program to counter this happening...you didnt use it so tough luck"

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:Eeek: you will need to do a full blat on yor p/c as the will of had all your details including all phone no,s email addresses and all contacts,, please warn all others that you talk to or email ,,,when they block you its when they have all your details,,so you cant try to stop them doing bad things :cry:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Eeek: you will need to do a full blat on yor p/c as the will of had all your details including all phone no,s email addresses and all contacts,, please warn all others that you talk to or email ,,,when they block you its when they have all your details,,so you cant try to stop them doing bad things :cry:

This is a worrying problem , many accounts are being hacked ... even one on a brand new Mac

I am also on a Mac and can find no malware or trojans.

I have instructed Skype to delete my account and all personal details immediately ..

Google: Skype account hacked ..

Hello,

I too have been a victim of Skype too. I just created a new account with skype on my brand new mac computer with virus protection and no software installed or downloaded apart from skype from official skype website. I did not record my username or password physically or electronically.

I have logged on to find that all my credit was used up and the call history showed multiple calls at the exact same time being made to multiple destinations around the world. This indicates that there must be multiple connections using my account at the same time.

This is not an uncommon issue with skype, unfortunately a lot of people are unaware or get no response when they contact skype. I have heard of and read a lot of story about this happening and skype is not taking responsibility for a security vulnerability. Skype can expect a lot more publicity about this issue in the future.

Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Jim,

Having a Mac makes you a lot more secure than a Windows PC, but you are not immune to attack. Although viruses will not affect you, they can be passed on by you in e-mails.

You might care to install this free software, which I have been using for several months now.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/clamxav.html

There is also this option which is free - more recently added than the one above.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/freesophosantivirusformachomeedition.html

Both of the above are "Apple Staff Picks". I am happy with ClamXAV as it seems to require little processing power to run. If you decide to go for that one, make sure you use the link I have posted. There is also ClamAV in the Apple downloads section, but that is the raw code installer and has no user interface: it's for the programmers / geeks I believe.

Good luck - I'm off to change my passwords!

Philip

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Philip

I've downloaded Clamx and now scanning .. will report if it finds anything

passwords changed on sensitive accounts

removing Skype and requested account to be deleted

and some more information on Skype

Link Removed

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Philip

I've downloaded Clamx and now scanning .. will report if it finds anything

Nothing reported .. no virus found
----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 851252
Engine version: 0.95.2
Scanned directories: 14246
Scanned files: 43414
Infected files: 0
Data scanned: 9974.47 MB
Data read: 24176.96 MB (ratio 0.41:1)
Time: 3973.822 sec (66 m 13 s)

ClamXav v1.1.1 - ClamAV 0.95.2/12283/Fri Nov 19 05:41:25 2010 - ClamXav

No infected files were found.

The more I investigate this the more suspect it is a Skype security issue .. but who knows ?

To be frank I am tired of all the security issues on the internet , I have now removed Paypal account details , closed and deleted Skype account, and for good measure closed Facebook account .. new passwords also on Google and other sensitive logins

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sure you will have spotted this Jim, but in case not, you need to go to Preferences > Sentry and select files to be watched for dubious activity: e.g. mail files. I have mine set to watch two POP3 mail account files, Mail and Safari downloads. These are sub files within your user Library file. You then configure ClamXAV to launch the sentry on startup and that will do the watching for you.

It has warned me of malicious payload attached to mails in the past, but nothing recently. Several purported to be coming from NatWest.

I first realised there was a problem when a routine scan by my Desktop WinPC AV alerted me to viruses in my Mac backup files, which I backup to the Desktop. Installed ClamXAV and all has been well since. There is an update available by the way to ClamXAV 2.0.8 and ClamAV engine to 0.96. Mine has just alerted me and updated.

Philip

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm sure you will have spotted this Jim, but in case not, you need to go to Preferences > Sentry and select files to be watched for dubious activity: e.g. mail files. I have mine set to watch two POP3 mail account files, Mail and Safari downloads. These are sub files within your user Library file. You then configure ClamXAV to launch the sentry on startup and that will do the watching for you.

Philip

yes I spotted that in the preferences when I set it up .. excellent :thumb:

thanks again.

Skype Update
We are writing to confirm that your Skype account has now been deleted in accordance with your recent request. Although this is effective immediately it may take up to 2 weeks before your Skype ID disappears completely from the peer-to-peer network and your details may still appear in the search directory during this period. This is a technical delay that is inherent within the peer-to-peer network itself and is out of Skype’s control.

if you want to contact Skype use this email address:

en_support@skype.net

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim thanks for one of your links, never heard of a paypal security key before, and it sounds like a necessary item to me with all the hacking thats going on, just ordered one.

Read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, if half of what her and her friends could do, nothing is safe.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back