Don't forget to charge your appliance batteries. (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've got a lot of battery powered appliances, and these include - drills, cameras, bluetooth hradphones, phones, computers, shavers, power drills etc. I know it is a bit of a chore, but it is important to make sure that they are fully charged to preserve battery life. If you don't want to recharge them from you van system, then take them into the cafes and restaurants you use, and use the power sockets there. You don't have to carry the whole appliance, just the battery and charger will do for drills and the like.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I haven't used a WiFi receiver in McD, but I do charge my 85amp leisure battery, and I did test an ASIC miner with a small mains pc and screen. One has to be discrete though :)
Another consideration is the direction of the lens on my camera when I am charging or transferring images. I keep the lens cap on and point it towards the wall. People have become obsessive about the potential photography of children, and a hairy old pensioner like me has to be careful, even if I am a gerontophile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Isn't that theft?
If you mean the use of electricity, then of course it isn't. The power is provided for the use of customers, and the sockets are within the view of the staff, so they could ask you to stop if they didn't want you to use the power. I did ask if they minded me testing the ASIC kit before plugging it in though. The customer power is on a separate circuit, and sometimes I have to ask for it to be turned on.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you mean the use of electricity, then of course it isn't. The power is provided for the use of customers, and the sockets are within the view of the staff, so they could ask you to stop if they didn't want you to use the power. I did ask if they minded me testing the ASIC kit before plugging it in though. The customer power is on a separate circuit, and sometimes I have to ask for it to be turned on.
Probably not the "spirit" of the offer sitting in a restaurant, charging electric drills and 85amp leisure batteries! Still if they are stupid enough to let you do it its their fault I guess

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yeh like I’m going to lug a charger and battery to a cafe?? you’re having a larf aren’t ya????

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've got a lot of battery powered appliances, and these include - drills, cameras, bluetooth hradphones, phones, computers, shavers, power drills etc. I know it is a bit of a chore, but it is important to make sure that they are fully charged to preserve battery life. If you don't want to recharge them from you van system, then take them into the cafes and restaurants you use, and use the power sockets there. You don't have to carry the whole appliance, just the battery and charger will do for drills and the like.
Not as important with modern lithium-based batteries. In fact the recommended storage method for such batteries is to leave them partially charged until next time they're needed.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Well I haven't got round to installing solar panels yet. That will be next year when I have learnt a bit more. Also, I think it is important to consider the days when the sun is hiding. Running a generator to top up van batteries isn't as environmentally friendly as using a bit of restaurant power.

McD is a fairly sophisticated marketing organisation, and obviously proving 13 amp power sockets and USB chargers helps them to preserve their profits. Extended table occupancy during busy periods is more of a problem than a bit of electricity.

An 85 amp battery and a charger isn't much of a weight, and it is a simple one handed carry, rather than a load lugging.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
McD also provide taps, presumably for filling your camper van water tank, toilets to empty your porta potty down and unlimited free toilet paper!

And you can overnight in their car parks for free and get WiFi

Now where is that petition that is always floating around to get more free Aires in the UK, so local business can capitalise on the alleged business opportunity missed by allowing free camping?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Turn off before charging :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_120611_441.JPG
    IMG_20191127_120611_441.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 19
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Isn't that theft?
Not when they actively promote your use of it.
Yeh like I’m going to lug a charger and battery to a cafe?? you’re having a larf aren’t ya????
No, you run the extension lead out to the van & have them all plugged in in there.
McD also provide taps, presumably for filling your camper van water tank, toilets to empty your porta potty down and unlimited free toilet paper!

Now where is that petition that is always floating around to get more free Aires in the UK, so local business can capitalise on the alleged business opportunity missed by allowing free camping?
Which is what Lidl's & Aldi's actively promote in many shops in the EU. =Motorhome parking.(y):giggle:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

From another of the OP’s threads:

The battery is an 85 amp deep cycle, and the charger is a Halford's smart charger. I have got a larger leisure battery, but the 85A one is easier to carry into a cafe. I use McD as an office,and I can be there for 8 hours or more if they aren't busy.
Which brand of rucksack do you use to carry the battery? It must be a good one.

Or do you use a trolley?

Ian
We LDV owners are a tough breed. I just conceal it in a plastic supermarket bag, and carry it in one handed.

Ian

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Plastic bag!! your killing the planet. To the naughty corner immediately
After you have planted a tree to repent.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
You guys are so traditional.

The battery has got a handle on top, so of course I use that to carry it. I son't want to tear my recycled bag ( which is probably hessian in fact). Not ware available in McD, the raps are too close to the bowl ( I must write to them about that ), It's only the burgers and sugar products that are bad for you, the coffee is fine. I'm going off the foul mouthed kids that lounge about in the evenings though.

I appreciate that I may be a bit different, but I don't really want a house on wheels. I might just as well have stayed in the bricks and mortar one. Don't forget that I only take up one parking space as well, and I don't run a generator all night to disturb the neighbours.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

When I went to the chippy they asked me whether I wanted salt and vinegar. I asked how much and was told "it's free." I should have asked for 5 gallons of vinegar and 100lbs of salt. Would never need to buy either again.;)

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You guys are so traditional.

The battery has got a handle on top, so of course I use that to carry it. I son't want to tear my recycled bag ( which is probably hessian in fact). Not ware available in McD, the raps are too close to the bowl ( I must write to them about that ), It's only the burgers and sugar products that are bad for you, the coffee is fine. I'm going off the foul mouthed kids that lounge about in the evenings though.

I appreciate that I may be a bit different, but I don't really want a house on wheels. I might just as well have stayed in the bricks and mortar one. Don't forget that I only take up one parking space as well, and I don't run a generator all night to disturb the neighbours.
I have to be honest I simply wouldn't sneak things into McDonalds to use their electricity, I would stand up to a raging Bull for my friends and family, and I can start an argument in an empty room! But! If I know that what I am doing in morally wrong, I just cant bring myself to do it. Frankly I would be too embarrassed and ashamed!

Lugging leisure batteries and chargers into McDonalds may not be "against" the rules, but I suspect only because the powers that make the rules didn't anticipate that their helpful gesture to make their customers visit more pleasant, providing phone charging facilities would be abused by some one lugging building tools and batteries to the table to charge.

If you do it, and feel no moral resistance to this, good for you, but it is part of an alternative way of live that I find undesirable and unsupportable. The ethos of leaving only tyre tracks and footprints is slowly being eroded at cost to us all.

Is this why we see more and more height barriers a clear and unequivocal sign that people don't want our business.

The McDonalds advert posted earlier "Like getting your monies worth" was a piss take not an invitation!

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm in Sainsbury's at the moment, and I'll probably have breakfast in Waitrose tomorrow, and afternoon tea in Morrisons. I'm on my own at the moment in the van, and these visits provide some great social interaction. Coffee is free in Waitrose by the way, as I am a member of their shopping club.

The biggest advantage of McD is the fact that their WiFi is pretty unrestricted. This means I can maintain my websites, and run a Bitcoin node there, and keep my mobile data allowance for the quiet times on the beach or in the woods.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Why is it morally wrong to use a service provided for customers in full view of the management? If they don't like it, they won't be slow in asking me to stop. They asked me not to use a penknife to cut ginger to add to my tea, so everything I do is recorded on camera, and viewed later by the management.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I don't think I am taking liberties,especially if I ask first. Anyway, they can't be too stressed with me, because they gave me my money back this morning,and I had a free coffee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back