Learn to crochet? (2 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My daughter complained a few months ago that I didn’t have her baby blanket ( she’s 46, I’ve moved to different countries twice). My mother crocheted it for her—- only thing she ever made her and I had the idea to try and copy it from memory. I think she’d started in the centre, made it into a square and then just kept going until it was about 1 metre x 1 metre. She’d used up oddments of wool I think as it wasn’t traditional baby colours, quite a lot of dark grey and blue. Possible, do you think ?
Go for it

I started to do a small blanket for an expected niece or nephew, somehow carried on still doing a square, have the blanket myself, so full of memories, can remember all the thigs I knitted for my boys and other family and friends, used up all the leftover yarn I had. It is now big enough to cover at least a double bed and still not finished. will need to edge it soon Younger son wants it :)
The intended recipient is now in his forties, he got a hand knitted shetland shawl and some other stuff instead.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello fellow crafters, I love seeing everyone’s projects, inspiring!
I’m currently making 2 different colour ways of the Persian Tiles blanket. Crochet in front of the TV is my evening occupation. Jenben Carolyn go for it. This is the thread that finally got me started. Bella Coco on YouTube does an excellent tutorial for a basic granny square, I think lots of us on here have used it.

Not crochet, but this is my latest make. For our son & daughter-in-law who have recently moved to a large house in Scotland and don’t have anything to hang on the walls yet.

Ruairidh the Heilan Coo
AE688124-6A33-43CF-9507-AD4DDE938B48.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Carolyn. Well you don't expect me to say give it up do you? I'm on a mission to teach the world to crochet :D2 I would recommend Bella Coco videos on You Tube.

However, if you (or anyone else in this group) intend to learn to crochet so that you can make octopus for premature babies they have a good success rate with their CALs - Crochet Along Videos. Newcomers to crochet are getting their octopals passed after just a few attempts.

You need to have a project in mind - or loads of wool to use up. Crochet is basically three sttiches - chain - double crochet and treble crochet and with those three stitches you can make granny squares. Alternatively, meet up with Hilary Hils and Glenns she'll soon have you hooking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hello Carolyn. Well you don't expect me to say give it up do you? I'm on a mission to teach the world to crochet :D2 I would recommend Bella Coco videos on You Tube.

However, if you (or anyone else in this group) intend to learn to crochet so that you can make octopus for premature babies they have a good success rate with their CALs - Crochet Along Videos. Newcomers to crochet are getting their octopals passed after just a few attempts. Octopusforapreemie.com.

You need to have a project in mind - or loads of wool to use up. Crochet is basically three sttiches - chain - double crochet and treble crochet and with those three stitches you can make granny squares. Alternatively, meet up with Hilary Hils and Glenns she'll soon have you hooking!

Message to Anthea M You still need this hobby in your life :imoutahere:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I’m currently making 2 different colour ways of the Persian Tiles blanket. Crochet in front of the TV is my evening occupation. Jenben Carolyn go for it. This is the thread that finally got me started. Bella Coco on YouTube does an excellent tutorial for a basic granny square, I think lots of us on here have used it.

Not crochet, but this is my latest make. For our son & daughter-in-law who have recently moved to l rage house in Scotland and don’t have anything to hang on the walls yet.

Ruairidh the Heilan Coo
View attachment 347946

Love him (or her). I just finished a sweater for my Grandson in similar colours (his choice) and have started on one that will almost match for his Dad. I can hear my son now - "Thanks Mum". lol

Photos when I get chance and I need to photo the shawl.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I’m currently making 2 different colour ways of the Persian Tiles blanket. Crochet in front of the TV is my evening occupation. @Jenben Carolyn go for it. This is the thread that finally got me started. Bella Coco on YouTube does an excellent tutorial for a basic granny square, I think lots of us on here have used it.
Beautiful work Alice.

Ah you have convinced me to go for it, any recommendations on crochet hooks and the sizes I should start with as I have a birthday gift voucher to spend ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Not crochet, but this is my latest make. For our son & daughter-in-law who have recently moved to a large house in Scotland and don’t have anything to hang on the walls yet.

Ruairidh the Heilan Coo
View attachment 347946
Alice that is amazing!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

However, if you (or anyone else in this group) intend to learn to crochet so that you can make octopus for premature babies they have a good success rate with their CALs - Crochet Along Videos. Newcomers to crochet are getting their octopals passed after just a few attempts. Octopusforapreemie.com.

You need to have a project in mind - or loads of wool to use up. Crochet is basically three sttiches - chain - double crochet and treble crochet and with those three stitches you can make granny squares. Alternatively, meet up with Hilary Hils and Glenns she'll soon have you hooking!

I know , i must have another go Pamela.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Beautiful work Alice.

Ah you have convinced me to go for it, any recommendations on crochet hooks and the sizes I should start with as I have a birthday gift voucher to spend ?
Will you teach me when we next meet up?!!?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015

I can show you how to do a poppy. Then I would pass you on to my previous pupil Mrs Badknee who has gone from strength to strength for a master class.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Anne davanne To think it all started with a chance comment and with everyone's support we have developed a lovely thread. I am thrilled with the way it now features lots of interesting projects.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I love that! but it doesn’t look like there’s 3dc (?uk /us) in each ch or it would be very tightly curled.
I do 2dc (uk) in each ch for octopus tentacles and they are curly as a curly thing!

For anyone who is going I am helping out on the UK Handknitting Stand Harrogate Knit and Stitch Show on Sat 30 Nov 14:30 to 17:30 and Sunday 1 Dec 13:00 to 16:00. It's stand TG11 (Knitworking) and at the end of Hall C near the tunnel for Hall Q.
I can’t make it, although I would love tuo, as I’m too far away and have commitments here on Sunday but have a lovely show!

Question , I have never been able to learn to crochet . Should i give up or try again ?

I really would like to crochet a granny stripe blanket .

Am I delusional in thinking this is possible ?
Not delusional at all. I started crocheting nearly 2yrs ago to make octopals for OFAPUK (in at the deep end!) and can now turn my hand to anything. I had tried several years ago but gave up quite quickly as found it easier to knit as I’ve been doing that since I was a child but as soon as I found a purpose and was really determined to do it it came.
Look for Bella Coco on YouTube. I’ve found her the best when learning different stitches. And she teaches in uk terms. You need to watch out on YouTube as a lot will talk in us terms which are different.
Or, as snailtrailer suggests, join us at OFAPUK making comfort creatures for tiny premature babies. The crochet along courses are turning out some very good crocheters.
Good luck!

Yes if I ever learn !!.Just wanted something to do in the van to be honest and take with us in the winter.
I still think you should persevere with crochet, but cross stitch is another craft you might consider. I’ve always got one on the go and with me on a trip. No need to store lots of bulky yarn, I keep mine self contained in a plastic envelope. Often on a trip in the motor home I’ve got several different ongoing projects with me: crochet, cross stitch and knitting!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I can crochet, made a bedspread for my bed in 3 different colours of hexagons in cotton when I was 12 - hated that thing so much but my mum forced me to finish it! I can also knit, make lace and other things. However, we're off to the Lake District over Christmas, 4 nights on a campsite where there is no wifi or mobile signal, although we could go to the pub we don't necessarily want to go every night and as I'm limited on walking at the moment and so is our terrier I need to have something to do other than read my kindle while Mark is out doing long walks with our schnoodle.

Is there anything I can make which doesn't involve having some massive garment, something which would be useful for somebody else, happy to crochet lots of smaller things but there's nothing that I want to make for us or myself.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I can crochet, made a bedspread for my bed in 3 different colours of hexagons in cotton when I was 12 - hated that thing so much but my mum forced me to finish it! I can also knit, make lace and other things. However, we're off to the Lake District over Christmas, 4 nights on a campsite where there is no wifi or mobile signal, although we could go to the pub we don't necessarily want to go every night and as I'm limited on walking at the moment and so is our terrier I need to have something to do other than read my kindle while Mark is out doing long walks with our schnoodle.

Is there anything I can make which doesn't involve having some massive garment, something which would be useful for somebody else, happy to crochet lots of smaller things but there's nothing that I want to make for us or myself.
Have a look at Attic 24. Lots of lovely things to make apart from blankets.

Link Removed

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have been knitting a stash-buster lap blanket. I have lots of odd balls of yarn from charity shops so put them to good use. I don’t normally do ‘random’ but am happy with the result.
It’s knitted corner to corner, every row knit, increasing one stitch at the beginning of every row on the way out then decreasing one stitch at the beginning of every row on the way back in.
C618CC34-0189-4976-8077-322D7A549D4C.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back