Watchdog warning about a Survey (1 Viewer)

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Ray is the webmaster for a Private Estate here in Seasalter and has just been sent a warning by the Neighborhood Watch Coordinator and Im passing it on to the Forum

[Reference: Watchdog Survey Information]

Dear Coordinator,

May I bring the following important information to your attention.

Police in Kent would like to make people aware of the following report on BBC’s “Watchdog” programme featured on 4 November 2010 about the following survey that is soon to be sent to over 1 million homes.

N-Power, Unilever and Talk Talk are among the many companies sponsoring a survey that is to be sent out by TNT. They request you fill in a questionnaire detailing your personal information and to leave it on your doorstep in an unsealed paper bag for collection the following day.

The questionnaire is five pages long and contains one hundred and eighty six questions about your personal circumstances.

The Information Commissioner's Office has stated that;

"These surveys usually require people to provide a large amount of personal information - ranging from whether they have any outstanding medical conditions, to details of their household income. Anyone approached to fill in one of these surveys should think twice before leaving information like this on their doorstep. They should be aware that anyone could potentially pick it up, opening the way to identity theft. People completing these forms should also understand who will have access to their information and what it will be used for."

More advice and information is available from the Watchdog website link. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/11/tnt_survey.html>

Very many thanks,

Kent Police

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Mavis, I saw that. Thousands will still fill it in:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'll fill it in !!!

the answers wont make sense to them though. :ROFLMAO:

shame its not a pre paid reply envelope....just send it back with other companies junk mail inserted.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same sort of thing when folk click on emails from eBay or PayPal ( and then complain like mad their account has been 'hacked and how terrible the security is' on such sites

It is worth remembering that in all such cases it is the user themselves that have given their info to the scammers ( usually without realising it )

Three things to think about and act on

1) eBay do sometime send out mails/ messages, but if they do, there will be a copy of the message on your account on eBay.. Sign in to your account and check the messages there. NEVER NEVER click on a link to eBay or PayPal or indeed anything else you are a member of that is in an e-mail

2) PayPal will send you a letter if there is an issue with your account, OR inform you when you log on to your account.. So again, NEVER EVER click on a link sent you by e-mail

3) I actually caught a really good scammer just a few months ago
I was telephoned by a 'rep from PayPal'.

He asked if everything was ok and was I happy..

yep

Ok, this is really just a courtesy call to let you know in advance we will be sending out a mail which you must respond to which brings your paypal back in line with the new Euro banking rules. ( This was indeed done last year so COULD have been about to happen again ) You may be unable to gain access to your account for 30 minutes while it is updated DING DONG !!!!!!!!!!

At that point I asked if he could sort out a minor problem.. On my account I had an out standing issue that had been going on for years.. A wrong customer account name..

Sure thing.. what is the name sir ?

Blah blah

I have passed the info on to the fault team and that should be resolved within a week

Of course there was not REALLY an issue and if he DID have access to the account he would have seen that..

A few days later said mail arrived..

Traced its delivery route and it had come from Belarus, not Ireland

Someone a little less aware of the lengths these people go to might not have picked up on it

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Even though it came from the police via Neighborhood Watch to My Husband I couldnt believe that they would ask you to leave it on the door step:Doh:
Link Removed

But when you watch the link --its true:Doh:

I think we all should put a load of rubbish on the form and teach them a lesson

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back