Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Gale force winds and a 23ft swell are forecast for the Bay of Biscay today! I know a few Funsters that are catching the ferry to Santander this morning!:ROFLMAO: (if the captain has the courage to sail:roflmto:) Having experienced a bad crossing on that particular route more than once, I am positive they might turn a little green and by mid afternoon be wishing they had used Le Chunnell ::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
hehehehehe we have been over on a very rough crossing as well one year, didnt know there were many people on the boat as most of them stayed in their cabins (wouldnt of liked being one of the cleaning crew after that crossing), was held out at sea for an extra 24hrs and there were spannish news cameras waiting for the boat to dock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
They have my genuine sympathy!:Sad:
Imagine saving /looking forward to the trip all year to be met by weather like that on the day!:cry:
One bad Dover - Calais crossing was enough to put ffi & I off for LIFE!
Tunnel every time.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
didnt know there were many people on the boat as most of them stayed in their cabins

Thats the worst thing that you can do. If you are fit enough the best place to be is on an upperdeck where you can see outside, relax and maintain your balance. Easy said I know.
Jim
:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Thats the worst thing that you can do. If you are fit enough the best place to be is on an upperdeck where you can see outside, relax and maintain your balance. Easy said I know.
Jim

some of those that did venture out made for entertaining watching as they fought their way to the information desk and litterally screamed at staff they wanted to 'get off now' must admit it was very rough to the extent that hot food and drinks were not being served and there was no access to the outer decks,also they closed the front viewing room off even shut the bulkhead type doors on it. - just glad that i dont suffer from sea sickness i imagine its not very nice lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jim

And don't forget, sing Rule Britannia good and loud. Think of Drake and Nelson.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Been there........................................hughie.........................
got that.........................hughie...................................
stained....................................
hughie.................................t-shirt

:shout:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Jim

I thought the best place to be on a ship on a rough sea was as low down as possible. The higher up the more sway you get , the lower down the less. Think of a pendulum clock the ball end is the deck , the end of the chain is the bowels of the ship.
I only know this as i was once violently ill on a ferry from one Greek island to another. The crew got me to go sit in the kids play area , right in the bottom, with a bucket:Blush:
"Mummy why is that lady being sick , in here ?" :RollEyes:
Its only ever happened once to me and that was enough. We've been fortunate to have good crossings on all the other sea crossings .
Its meant to be very bad down there , in Bodmin , with floods as well. Hope everyone stays safe.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Predominantley the part that makes you ill is a lack of balance. Your being heaved about but you have no perspective of whats around you and therefore you tense up, lose all sense of balance and become ill.

If you can see around you and gain some perspective of whats going on around you its easier to balance. Your brain does it for you automatically.

The only problem with being high up is that the movement is accentuated by the height. The higher you are the more you will sway which is why people rush below decks.

There is also the danger of falling when your higher up because there's more movement.

Like I said, its easier said than done.

Its not a pleasant experience and any body who gets seasick easily has my sympathy.

Jim

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck to 'em.:thumb:

I hope they don't risk a large breakfast on the way down to the ferry:roflmto:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
At least some of them have got a few months to get over it before they do it all again :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Truth be known, I'm a bit green also, but with envy, I'm sure they'll have fun::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you can see around you and gain some perspective of whats going on around you its easier to balance. Your brain does it for you automatically.

Speaking from experience, this of course falls down when it's an overnight crossing and there's no horizon, etc. to see.

But on the plus side, you get a good blast of fresh air up on deck, and you can't hear everyone heaving down below. :roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One year on that crossing I was in the bar for a while, it had been very rough but I felt OK ... until I visited the loo:Eeek:

The 6inch lip at the bottom of the door was doing a great job at keeping the 2 inch pool of vomit that was rolling around in there with the ship. That was it, the stench of this and the Guinness I had drunk conspired against me the result was instantaneous :whatthe:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
One year on that crossing I was in the bar for a while, it had been very rough but I felt OK ... until I visited the loo:Eeek:

The 6inch lip at the bottom of the door was doing a great job at keeping the 2 inch pool of vomit that was rolling around in there with the ship. That was it, the stench of this and the Guinness I had drunk conspired against me the result was instantaneous :whatthe:

WAAAAAAAAAAY too much info................BLUUUUUUUURP!:cry:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This'll be them now::bigsmile:

sad-unhappy-sick-green-face%5B1%5D.png

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jim

center of the ship, port to starboard and bow to stern, and preferable as near the water line as possible.

next to no movement there.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
center of the ship, port to starboard and bow to stern, and preferable as near the water line as possible.

next to no movement there.

That's where we were in July 2007 when we crossed to Norway - brilliant crossing! I can get sea sick on a canal boat that's tied to a mooring!! :Blush:

Coming over to Santander last month we were almost the same position but a bit higher up - it was very calm though!:Smile:

Anyway - I've heard from Bryan and he's taken refuge in his cabin - all is well so far! :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back