Smart 16a charger only good up to 120ah battery?? (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Thinking of buying one of these SMART chargers made by RING [model rsc16] but it says 120ah is the largest type of battery it should handle . !! [Found on Fleebay !]

So does that mean its NO good for my 220ah on board Battery Bank ...? presently being supported by the factory supplied built in Zig unit [not sure what ah it puts out]

This particular smart charger also has an 'anti-sulphation' mode and handles Calcium batts.

Must I also disconnect the existing on board charger before connecting this potential newby ??

NO doubt some keen eyed 'sparky' will put me on the straight and narrow:Blush:

Many thanks ...David,Liz 'n pup

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my rv has 4 x 120ah batteries and i have a 25amp 3 stage charger....works fine :thumb:

the original built in charger/converter had a max charge output of just 5amps and the rv makers thought that sufficient :Eeek:

the previous owner fitted a 20amp unit which seemed to be ok but as the power converter is shot the charger is doing all the work on hookup.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking of buying one of these SMART chargers made by RING [model rsc16] but it says 120ah is the largest type of battery it should handle . !!

If it's SMART as in micro controlled I'd guess they set a time limit for it to reach full charge and if it doesn't it falls back to maintenance charge. Put a bigger battery and it assumes it's duff.

BUT, if you switch off and start again, second time around it will reach full charge.

Maybe !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
update on SMART 16 A Charger

This has now arrived and doing its work.
TOO early to say how good it is BUT all seems fine without climbing inside the Battery:roflmto:

This RING smart charger says Max 120 ah on their web site & on Ebay site where I bought it from.

BUT ON READING THE MANUAL AND THE STICKERS ON THE MACHINE IT SAYS 200 Ah. !!
:Cool::Cool::Smile::Smile:

a Bonus eh !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back