mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi, I went with a friend to look and test drive a Swift Voyager today at a well known dealer....

The drive of the van was superb but then I spotted somthing wilist "feeling" the atmosphere of van...On the Wardrobe doors, there was like a dust covering - I was able to remove this quite easily...I Thought this maybe damp spores although I have no idea what damp looks like, I asked the dealer. His response was to say its dust attected to door and that the van has had full damp check and is ok.

The van is 2009 and did not smell damp.......Could it be poor air circulation following the recent temp drop?

My friend loved the van and got offered a fairly good deal....

Any ideas what the "dust" on door could be.....I'm probably paranoid but somtimes its better to be like this.

Thx
MM

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if it was damp 'spores' you would smell it as soon as you wiped over it.

ask to see the damp check paperwork/checklist and speak to the guy who did the check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Damp spores

I shall remain discreet about the company/ salesperson as I'm sure its probably my curosity....

More about damp spores.....As it explained previously, its only on the wardrobe door...I used some kitchen roll to remove....did not smell
at all.....Any other checks i can do?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is couple of reasonable explanations...
If the oor had a plastic based coating and the inside had been polished with any vigour, the door skin would attract all the odd bits of dust floating around

Orrrr.. even simpler

The whole van had been dusty, been cleaned and the door had simple been missed ( Unlikely but from experience possible ! )

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I shall remain discreet about the company/ salesperson as I'm sure its probably my curosity....

More about damp spores.....As it explained previously, its only on the wardrobe door...I used some kitchen roll to remove....did not smell
at all.....Any other checks i can do?

Do not buy a damp motorhome, it will literally rot away. Like Peter said Use your nose, does it smell of damp? Smell inside cupboards, wardrobes and under the sink. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any nails or screws or staples. Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and wallboards, but behind the scenes, where the water has entered there may well be dry-rot problems. Check the area where the wall panel meets the floor for water marks, also look carefully in all the corners, these will often be in cupboards, but look carefully as corners are very susceptible to leaking. Look in the area underneath each window. Water ingress can also cause delamination, once water is getting in, it may travel to a different part of the motorhome and do its damage there. The cost of putting right rotting walls, floors or ceilings is horrendous so if in doubt then walk away. Best of luck

OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
The Bolero and damp??

Many thanks for all your advice.....

My Friend put a 2K deposit on this van after the dealer faxed the Hab certificate over....I can't believe it...I'd want an independent inspection.

Maybe it was dust as opposed to damp spores on the cupboard door
but I'd certainly want another look..

Rgds to all
MM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread