Internet connection (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
What is the best mobile internet connection for me and my laptop (ie coverage abroad eg Spain etc and value for money and ease of use)?
I have a Nokia 5800 mobile on Vodaphone (10.00 Freedom Pack) and a Toshiba laptop.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Gaudie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What is the best mobile internet connection for me and my laptop (ie coverage abroad eg Spain etc and value for money and ease of use)?
Gaudie

There isn't one.

If long term abroad best to buy a local SIM or complete dongle. Still not a bargain. Otherwise you just get ripped off with a UK dongle.

WiFi is a better solution.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
WiFi is something worth getting to know, but not the units that look like the telephone dongles, what you need is something a bit more powerful, something like this

Link Removed

Is very useful and its free!

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GAUDIE
Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
WIFI

There isn't one.

If long term abroad best to buy a local SIM or complete dongle. Still not a bargain. Otherwise you just get ripped off with a UK dongle.

WiFi is a better solution.

Hi Brian
I guess by WiFi you mean going to an Internet cafe etc and connecting to the internet that way, which is ok for me cos my laptop is WiFi.
It would be useful however to be able to connect when you are not in a town/city but that goes back to the above.
G

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GAUDIE
Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
WIFI

WiFi is something worth getting to know, but not the units that look like the telephone dongles, what you need is something a bit more powerful, something like this

Link Removed

Is very useful and its free!

Doug...

Not sure what you mean exactly. My laptop has WiFi which means I could connect wirelessly in a cafe etc but it would be useful to have a connection
when not in a town/city.
G

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
connection outside of wifi in Eurpoe on a dongle is horrendously expencive, instead of £10 a gig on a three card/dongle roaming charges take that to £1000 so you are stuck with wifi at Mcdonuts, airports, railway stations industrial estates etc. But do check the legality of using other peoples bandwidth. Fon is something worth looking at.
http://www.fon.com/en/

plus a good wifi antenna to boost reception.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Not sure what you mean exactly. My laptop has WiFi which means I could connect wirelessly in a cafe etc but it would be useful to have a connection
when not in a town/city.
G

These WiFi hot spots have a limited range or your Laptop has, so a strong signal may not be available.

These antennas can receive a signal over a greater distance. I bought one of these Link Removed and have found it useful, in fact found many more close to home as soon as I connected. Many will be secure but if you are near an open hot spot you may be able to connect. I find it easy to connect to the likes of McD's and motorway services outside the premises. :thumb:

Some others are more powerful and may suit you better, you pays your money & get what you paid for. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
when not in a town/city.
G

Sorry for the slowness in the reply I have a few connection problems of my own for a day or so.

First, the wifi that you have built into your laptop only has a range of a few meters, maybe a 100 at best. What I use has a range of 1000 meter and I have worked a connection of 3 KM.

Yes the Internet cafe is one place were free connections can be found, so you can be sat in comfort in you van and have a connection to the Internet,

If you want to go down this path it sounds that you have no knowledge of wifi so you have a lot to learn but you will do it if you want to, do some searching and reading on the subject, it will be worth it I promise you.

Doug...

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
I guess by WiFi you mean going to an Internet cafe etc and connecting to the internet that way, which is ok for me cos my laptop is WiFi.
It would be useful however to be able to connect when you are not in a town/city but that goes back to the above.
G

Away from towns and campsites your only option is the mobile phone network, it's very expensive. OK for emails if you need to keep in touch, but forget anything like sites with high graphic content, it will cripple you.

Upvote 0

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
So with these aerials that extend the wi-fi signal you are just searching for a non secure network to log in too or a free signal like MacD's etc ????

Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Could somebody please explain to a dedicated Luddite what the difference is between

Link Removed

and

Link Removed

Ta:thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could somebody please explain to a dedicated Luddite what the difference is between

Link Removed

and

Link Removed

Ta:thumb:

One is directional one is not.

Just like binoculars, the boxy directional one needs pointing roughly towards the WiFi base and rewards you with much greater range.

The pole one you just stick up and you get 360 deg coverage.

The boxy one is best. The focus sucks in more signal from the WiFi base you want so as a benefit anything in other directions cannot interfere with you.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A lot of people use these...the first one the TP link picks up signals up to 3 Km and the second Sky wifi picks up signals up 5 Km

Link Removed

Link Removed

Mel:winky::thumb:

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
So with these aerials that extend the wi-fi signal you are just searching for a non secure network to log in too or a free signal like MacD's etc ????

In one word yes, there are many free WiFi hot spots - COSTA - STARBUCKS -many on MW service areas, these places want you inside their premises so you will feel obliged to buy a coffee. With an antenna to boost your reception you do not have to buy a anything from them unless you wish to. Stay in your MH in comfort & access their signal.

In Portugal we came across small villages that had WiFi but without one of these it was only a weak signal unless you are close to their antenna.

If you have one of the new mobile phones, many are offering free access to the net included in your monthly allowance. So why not connect to your phone to your Netbook and use your free allowance, as long as you have a mobile signal.

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
If you have one of the new mobile phones, many are offering free access to the net included in your monthly allowance. So why not connect to your phone to your Netbook and use your free allowance, as long as you have a mobile signal.

Yes , you are right.......but only use in UK.

As with inclusive phone allowance it only allows for UK usage, anything abroad would incur huge costs.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Yes , you are right.......but only use in UK.

As with inclusive phone allowance it only allows for UK usage, anything abroad would incur huge costs.

Oooops I had forgotten the original post said abroad, so scrap my previous post, sorry. :Doh:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back