Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On a lot of petrolhead websites/forums they are all discussing this item below which appeared on Link Removed
Is the bit about chipped ECU's true? How would the tester know?

2011 VOSA changes to MOT
Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.
HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.
Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).
Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.
Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.
Full details on the Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Jim..

One thing I did pick up on ( being a bike oriented person ! ) was the following:

Reflectors are now in 1.5 instead of 1.4. The note that formerly read Each vehicle is required to be fitted with two reflectors, one on each side fitted symmetrically is now removed.

There were actually MOT twits who tried to say this was a requirement on bikes !
Needless to say they were neither popular or right !! :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I'm not sure why a chipped ecu should be an MOT faliure but its going to cause a lot of grief. Member who are MOT Testers should know the answer to this one.

HID lights are pain in the bum and imo would be a welcome faliure.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You can all rest assured:thumb:
If and when any of the above come into being
The tester will be the last to know:RollEyes:
So if testers are talking about it now it has to be pure speculation
Chipping effecting emissions and causing mot failures :shout:
Never come across it :whatthe: again speculation and scare mongering:RollEyes:
Geo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Talking to a member of the local police motorcycle club, it is generally reckoned that since the advent of HID's being retro fitted to bikes, the incidents of SMIDNY's* has reduced by a noticeable amount

Of course HID units are illegal on motorcycles as there is no provision for them to self level, but I have never ever heard of anyone being reported or receiving a rectification notice for having one fitted .. VOSA, the police and indeed everyone else interested in preserving the lives of motorcyclists appreciate that ANYTHING which attract the attention of drivers is a good thing.

SMIDNY

Sorry Mate I Did Not See You

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think you will find Jim thats because the site you give is 2010 changes whilst the original site quoted 2011 changes.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm not sure why a chipped ecu should be an MOT faliure Jim
:Smile:

As an extreme case in cars, double the power, brakes stay the same, maybe not safe.

The "chipping" could also remove a speed limiter, many fast cars are limited to 150s.

I wonder if some Big Brother is lining us up for automatic speed control and making it illegal to remove it.

Actually the same could be said of MHs, anyone daft enough run flat out with a chipped motor would soon learn how long it took to stop one.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
jims link is to the 2011 changes as posted on the wrecks site, down the page a bit, ok yust tried it and see your problem, the page shows 2010 changes because these are the current changes, where the proposed ones listed came from I have no idea.

Link Removed

Link Removed admin Link Removed Salvage hints and tips, Salvage news Link Removed
2011 VOSA changes to MOT
Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.
HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.
Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).
Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.
Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.
Full details on the MOTester site

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

that'll be most american RV's failing then :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well it was like this
I was just tugging at yer loom looking for chaffing. when there was this spark and a bit of smoke:Eeek:

Attachments

• cartoon_car_on_fire_lg_nwm.jpg
    cartoon_car_on_fire_lg_nwm.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 14

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I thought that a 'chipped' ECU meant that there was a box plugged into the ECU which 'over rides' the chip in the ECU and can be removed and everything would revert back to normal.Whereas a 're-mapped' ECU meant that the original software had been replaced with a more efficient version. In some cases the re-map brings the ECU up to a standard which is offered as an 'optional extra' in Europe by the manufacturers.
Am I totally wrong about this ::bigsmile:

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought that a 'chipped' ECU meant that there was a box plugged into the ECU which 'over rides' the chip in the ECU s.
Mike

I think so, now anyway.

Ages ago there was a plug in EPROM chip which was changed, hence "chipping".

Now the memory is Flash and built in, so now we have Re-Flashed.

And to confuse further there are injection modifier boxes which do plug in and fiddle with injection timing and fuel pressure.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I thought that a 'chipped' ECU meant that there was a box plugged into the ECU which 'over rides' the chip in the ECU and can be removed and everything would revert back to normal.Whereas a 're-mapped' ECU meant that the original software had been replaced with a more efficient version. In some cases the re-map brings the ECU up to a standard which is offered as an 'optional extra' in Europe by the manufacturers.

Mike
You are technically correct
What Brian would say if he spoke English is "Chipping is now used as a generic term for buggering about with standard settings"

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
From what I understand from speaking to a few people the chipping bit is plug in boxes and remaps of the existing ECU.

I doubt it will effect people much at this stage. The "theory" behind how it would be tested at some time in the future (probably not day one) is that a diagnostics tool would be used on the ODB port.

There was a requirement a while ago put on manufacturers that this had to be a standard and that there also had to be a hash check put in against the ECU codes. So if you altered the ECU it would no longer have a matching hash code and therefore be flagged as modified.

As with all things digital it probably wouldn't take the hackers long to get around this and also modify the hash tags I guess.

There was some talk about this being a non backdated regulation, bit like the emissions test which is different depending on the age of car, so it may not effect any current vehicles.

As I say, the thoughts came from friends who work in the automotive industry doing ECU work and some conversations they have had with the authorities. So could be accurate assumptions, or could be wildly wrong.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
What about the motor manufacturer altering the ECU, as was done as a first fix when complaints about juddering in reverse appeared. This was a change that was made to the software to change slightly the engine management system.

If you believe all the hype 'Chipping', or what ever you want to call it, is claimed to save fuel. So VOSA are going to penalise us for being more Green? I think not.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
OEM's have the ability to change the hash to match the new map should they need to change it, such as at service time.

I guess in some scenario's they may well penalise the ability to be more green.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back