Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I am trying to locate replacement winter vent covers for my Hymer S700 (1992) One of the originals blew off somewhere between Doncaster and the Lakes.

They are 360mm x 165mm They are Marked ITT reiss international. Just plain with the small holes where they fit into the grill.

I have seen vent on ebaY but they are the wrong size. I have looked at a couple of dealers with no sucess.

Anyone got any other ideas.

Emailed Hymer UK awaiting a reply. I doubt if they will have any.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
why do we need fridge vent winter covers, can anyone explain Thanks

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If Chatter comes on later, she knows the phone number of a breakers yard for caravans and I bet they will have one for you. If they have then I don't mind picking it up for you and sending it. I need one of the plastic white screws for mine.

1948, I too wonder how important it is that we put these on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
If Chatter comes on later, she knows the phone number of a breakers yard for caravans and I bet they will have one for you. If they have then I don't mind picking it up for you and sending it. I need one of the plastic white screws for mine.

1948, I too wonder how important it is that we put these on.

This is spooky! I asked last week at my motorhome dealer just why we need these vent covers. The answer from their technical expert was that the covers prevent the fridge from getting too cold in winter. They also stop draughts. This guy also said that the covers can be used even when the fridge was working, and even on gas.

Looking forward to seeing other people's comments.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I am trying to locate replacement winter vent covers for my Hymer S700 (1992) One of the originals blew off somewhere between Doncaster and the Lakes.

They are 360mm x 165mm They are Marked ITT reiss international. Just plain with the small holes where they fit into the grill.

I have seen vent on ebaY but they are the wrong size. I have looked at a couple of dealers with no sucess.

Anyone got any other ideas.

Emailed Hymer UK awaiting a reply. I doubt if they will have any.

Hi John, what make fridge do you have,:Smile: I wanted some and asked the dometic chap at the show, he had all sorts in his van. Bob.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That's interesting. I was always told that they had to be removed.... no wonder we get confused at times.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
why do we need fridge vent winter covers, can anyone explain Thanks

the fridge uses heat ( electric or gas ) to drive the refrigeration cycle .. (condensing then evaporation ).. if it is too cold the boiler won't get hot enough to condense the refrigerant .. resulting in poor cooling within the cabinet.
hence winter covers which don't block the vents but reduce the amount of circulating air.

it's a fine balance because if it gets too hot it also inhibits the cycle .. to improve the flow in hot climates you can fit exhaust fans in the top vent .. Electrolux can supply but easy enough to make up with a couple of 12v computer fans.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
the fridge uses heat ( electric or gas ) to drive the refrigeration cycle .. (condensing then evaporation ).. if it is too cold the boiler won't get hot enough to condense the refrigerant .. resulting in poor cool.

That makes very good sense, So I will just use foil to cover the vent when park up (cheapskate) and monitor fridge efficiency and foil can be removed quickly

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
My fridge manual recommends the covers fitted when the temp falls below around 10c. Though, this can only be a guide, as you can be well above and below in the same day sometimes.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Fridge vent covers

I was in Keswick last week and the temp was around 11,had the covers on,and the inside of the fridge was hotter than the oven,removed covers and vents to get some heat out, then was OK ,also my fridge has to be perfectly level to work on any source ?

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Rip-off?

Whilst I accept the technical reasons given for fitting vent covers in the winter (or when hosing down the MH), why do they have to be c.£25 a pair? Or a fiver for two fixing screws if you lose them. This seems like shameless profiteering on the part of motorhome accessory or equipment manufacturers to me. A couple of bits of plastic, for goodness sake!
People say that if you prefix any bit of kit with the word 'motorhome' the price doubles.
The only comfort is that if the prefix changes to 'boat' it seems to double again.
:shout:
Rant over ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Whilst I accept the technical reasons given for fitting vent covers in the winter (or when hosing down the MH), why do they have to be c.£25 a pair? Or a fiver for two fixing screws if you lose them. This seems like shameless profiteering on the part of motorhome accessory or equipment manufacturers to me. A couple of bits of plastic, for goodness sake!
People say that if you prefix any bit of kit with the word 'motorhome' the price doubles.
The only comfort is that if the prefix changes to 'boat' it seems to double again.
:shout:
Rant over ::bigsmile:

I like to use them while on the move in winter to stop dirt being drawn into the back of the fridge. I also fit the covers on the water heater and the Truma heater that vent to the side of the van. The other heater is roof vented. We had a side vented heater written off because of water ingress, over £1000 to replace plus labour. I also fit them when washing the van.

When the wind blows on fridge the side of the van they also cut out draft in the kitchen area.

I saw a caravan last week on this CL with white/silver Gaffa tape over the vents.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When the wind blows on fridge the side of the van they also cut out draft in the kitchen area.

Hi John
If you have draughts it means the fridge hasn't been sealed properly , or not at all.

The cooling unit must be sealed off from the interior of the van at the rear of the refrigerator for optimum performance and to prevent cold draughts from entering the living space.
Failure to meet this Criteria will allow warm air to collect around the refrigerator, the heat will re-enter the refrigerator through the insulation and the performance will suffer.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John
If you have draughts it means the fridge hasn't been sealed properly , or not at all.

You were right Jim The fridge had clear gaps all round. As far as I know that is how it came out of the factory. We have closed up as much as we can with silicon.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
If you think that the fridge covers are expensive, try the Truma boiler outside cover. It is no wonder they seen to get nicked so often.:Eeek:

Nice to see a none Political topic.:ROFLMAO:

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back