Wheel clamp advice needed (2 Viewers)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi,

I’ve searched the forum and can’t find a strong recommendation for any specific wheel clamps, or if they’re even needed if you’ve other security measures; immobiliser, alarm, steering wheel lock etc.

What’s the consensus? Are they necessary or a waste of money?
If they are necessary which brand is best?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Steering wheel lock ...Disklock or Milenco steering wheel lock.
Wheel lock as in driven wheel....Millenco Wheel clamp compact

Either way its best to be safe than sorry..

Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I’ve gone belts and braces . Milanco wheel clamp
And steering lock , alarm and tracker and two locked security bollards blocking the RV in. Plus my car is parked up tight against it . If the buggers manage to get it out then I’ll give them a bloody medal

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I just bought one last week and don't want it on my motorhome now, I held it up to my sparkling new alloys and thought NO that's not going on there! I have two alarms steering lock, tracker and pressure sensors so that will have to do! I will use it on another car.

Amazon product ASIN B005NY5SBO

Attachments

• IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4593.JPG
    IMG_4593.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 37

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
And a simple scissor jack will silently open that Milenco one too.
Which one do you refer to? The one we have on the drive wheels is a bugger at best to get on? Never mind trying to get it off! Cant see how you can get between the two sections whilst on the tyre/wheel with a scissor jack? I assume its the one I have referred to that is?

Kev

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
With all these things you are at best buying more time for them to get disturbed , I had two wheel clamps, and hitchlok on a caravan behind a locked and chained steel gate , they still had it away .

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Its worth keeping in mind that most wheel clamps are worthless now the likes of Aldi are selling cordless angle grinders for less than £50.00.
Broken Link Removed
Its all about another layer of security and time, they would also be making noice using a grinder but nowadays people turn a blind eye to most things, bike thefts, alarms, muggings e.t.c. If anything it could make the thieves look elsewhere (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Centinel Clutch Claw in car security device pedal lock

Anyone use one of these ?
Are they recommended ?

View attachment 344258
Yes - have one for car & motorhome & good as they can be adjusted to fit new models when necessary. Substantial good quality product but manageable to carry in car or motorhome. More info. & discount code here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ies-discount-codes.184590/page-3#post-3098432
Physical security measures can be overcome but making it time consuming, necessary to use tools or make noise etc should deter or at least delay theft.

May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Thanks for quick reply 596.
Just wondered how effective a security device they are.
Are they better than using wheel clamps, or should they be used in conjunction with a wheel clamp ?
I suppose you can’t have too many deterrents fitted though.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I used to use one on my defender, but don’t bother any more as they can still drive it but just crash their way through the G box. Shame it doesn’t lock the pedals down.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi,

I’ve searched the forum and can’t find a strong recommendation for any specific wheel clamps, or if they’re even needed if you’ve other security measures; immobiliser, alarm, steering wheel lock etc.

What’s the consensus? Are they necessary or a waste of money?
If they are necessary which brand is best?

Thanks in advance!
I use a Disklok, when fitted if it is attacked it just slides around the wheel. It also stops the wheel being cut to get off the lock. Hopefully it will never be put to the test.

Deleted User
With petrol grinders and diamond discs. Or even Battery grinders can do most of these wheel locks within minutes. Check out Youtube for opening padlocks. You'd never spend less than £50 on the next one.
If I had too get one, it would be the top quality huge and heavy motorcycle chain, and the nuts of a padlock.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Got an Almax Series IV and a big Squire padlock in the garage. It’s almost too big to take away with us!

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I use one of these

plus alarm, lock the rear steadies down, turn around and lock the drivers seat, a Disklok and finally, lower and lock the bed over the lounge down which also prevents the seat being rotated.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I use one of these

plus alarm, lock the rear steadies down, turn around and lock the drivers seat, a Disklok and finally, lower and lock the bed over the lounge down which also prevents the seat being rotated.
Good idea about the drivers seat. Every little helps! Haven't got a drop down bed though.

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Steering wheel lock ...Disklock or Milenco steering wheel lock.
Wheel lock as in driven wheel....Millenco Wheel clamp compact

Either way its best to be safe than sorry..

Kev

Hi Kev, I'm not clear how the Milenco wheel clamp works for wheel trims that cover the locking nuts? Online video not clear either. Can you put the location bar through the wheel holes? Thanks, Graham

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The bottom line is if they want it no matter what you fit they will have it away, that is why you pay insurance as has been said earlier the battery powered disc cutters and big bolt cutter will deal with most things it just delays them. Do you have drilled discs on your mhome? If so a very small padlock will stop it being driven away and is almost impossible to see at first glance, (It goes through the disc and stops up against the caliper) The down side is to remember to take if off when you leave it. A long shanked stainless padlock can be had for under a £10 on a certain website

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back