Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The owners manual (and workshop manual) for the Ducato X290 does state that the timing belt must be changed at a maximum of 5 years or 192,000 km (120,000 miles) whichever occurs first, so that is the standard replacement interval unless you exceed the stated mileage within the 5 year period.

4 years is recommended for heavy duty use, which includes cold climates, a lot of town use or long periods of idling.

So I wouldn't go past 5 years in any circumstances.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
considering it is a glorified rubber band and that they rot and the very serious damage caused inside your engine when it snaps at high revs, then £400 per 5 years is cheap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years.

Our first cambelt change was done by the book. Garage said "look at the belt", looked like now, then he showed my the tentioner roller, if was just about to collapse.

Your choice £££ or gamble on £££££.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our first cambelt change was done by the book. Garage said "look at the belt", looked like now, then he showed my the tentioner roller, if was just about to collapse.

Your choice £££ or gamble on £££££.
That's the other thing. I was told I needed to change the tensioner and the water pump too.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
My understanding from car ownership ... never, ever scrimp on cambelt changes. And at the same time change the auxiliary belts, tensioner and water pump too.
Cambelt failure is rare but if you have it, it’s likely you’ll need an entire new engine.
And very often it’s the auxiliary belts that give way and their failure causes the Cambelt to fail.
so if manual says to do it, personally I’d do it ?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Strangely the Peugeot 160bhp engine fitted to my Bailey states change belt at 10yrs.

I had this dilemma on my Audi A6 - Manual say change at 5 yrs or some colossal mileage. I did not do even 30k by 5yrs so extended this out to 7yrs. I am sure manufacturers must have decided on cam belts instead of chains as a sweeter to their dealers. Cost me £550 buy a independent. The main dealer wanted over £750. Money for old rope/belts!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the reason they recommend changing the water pump is that on the x250 and above it needs to be removed in the belt renewal process and "can" be a problem refitting the old without leaks often through the bearing seals.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
From Honest John’s website ... a very handy reference for all things motoring related ....

“Generalising, we say every timing belt engine needs a fresh timing belt, tensioner, waterpump and aux belt every five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first,”

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Last belt change, MH was 10 years old, I asked for the pump to be changed, they said "not needed" though they might have forgotten.

i hope i am correct hilldweller , Brian that your motor is a sensible pre X250. .... and as i understand it it snot part of the change process. so not need to change unless it has a problem..

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
My cam belt is due next year,( Ducato 2.3).got a mobile fitter friend that used to work in the fiat/iveco dealer going to change it for me,i'll be buying the full 'Gates' belt kit including water pump & changing all the ancillary belts too...I'd rather pay a couple of hundred quid to change the belts than fork out @ £5k for an engine..

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
On an X250 The pump does not need to be removed to do the job, but it is spun/operated by the cam belt. I swapped belt and tensioner, but didn’t do pump, as it’s only done minimal miles, and isn’t made of rubber.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The reason the pump is often recommended is that if it fails between belt replacement intervals the timing belt has to be removed and replaced in order to change it, so you're looking at the cost of an additional belt change as well as the pump.
It's preventative maintenance and as with the belt and tensioners, all comes down to how lucky you feel!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I changed mine on previous MH, motorhomes don't do the mileage but suffer from ageing (just like tyres). See what I wrote previously. The belt was OK to look at but look at the tensioner.
This fell apart on removal so the bang would be the tensioner failing, not the belt !!
1573153931347.png

pulley.JPG

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I can't be bothered to go out and look under the bonnet but does anyone know if the X244 (03) 2.8 JTD (Ducato) is belt or chain.. It's something I should do when I service it over winter as I don't know it's history despite the fact it's onl;y done 24K, she's 15 years old....
Judging by the tyres that were on it were well past their sell by date, I doubt the previous owners were the "regular maintenance" type. :rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I can't be bothered to go out and look under the bonnet but does anyone know if the X244 (03) 2.8 JTD (Ducato) is belt or chain.. It's something I should do when I service it over winter as I don't know it's history despite the fact it's onl;y done 24K, she's 15 years old....
Judging by the tyres that were on it were well past their sell by date, I doubt the previous owners were the "regular maintenance" type. :rolleyes:
It's a belt. (and it's overdue :Eeek: )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back