Has France become poorer ... (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Try asking someone who lives there how it is rather than making assumptions from afar.

And please don’t shout to make your point . It isn’t polite .
Been to France many many times. I have seen it change a lot

I wasn't trying to shout, only matching words. What a mistaker to maker!!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I find English expats living in France very protective of their adopted country. Even over protective.

Maybe they feel the need to justify their lifestyle choice, but they shouldn’t.

If they like it then fantastic (y)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I toured France last year for 2 months as I thought I needed to discover the true France , I visited most areas and some beautiful places,a couple of points and no I didn't agrivate them and for information due to my work days speak good French.
1 . My wife needed emergency dental treatment inside the dentist refused to even look at her even though she was clearly in distress and the sarcastic smile she the dentist gave us didn't help.
2. In Coursseulles on a free aire was told to move my van as pitch reserved it was a bank holiday,I said no chance ,woke up to find human feces on the screen.
Any way thanks for your points .
Two very unfortunate incidents but it doesn't follow that this is representative of France or the French. The same things could have happened in any country.
The only point I'm making is that one should avoid generalisations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I've met some extremely unpleasant French people over the years, same in Germany, Spain, Italy and elsewhere but the vast majority of people i meet are at least decent and civil even if first impressions are sometimes dubious. Oh, by the way this all applies just as much to Brits i meet. Probably true of forum members although i think mostly we are better than average.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I've met some extremely unpleasant French people over the years, same in Germany, Spain, Italy and elsewhere but the vast majority of people i meet are at least decent and civil even if first impressions are sometimes dubious. Oh, by the way this all applies just as much to Brits i meet. Probably true of forum members although i think mostly we are better than average.

I met some particularly unpleasant Germans on a site in Spain a few years ago.

We were paying top dollar for a beach side pitch ( as were they) but they decided that I should also endure their very loud dance music:mad:

They were 3 families with 3 blokes all over 6 feet and probably 20 years younger than me.

I just couldn’t back down and fronted them out( thank God).

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have lost postings from our French forum member yodeli for that very reason. She has helped many members of this forum when they needed help in French . So sad as she said when her country is constantly criticised compared to others .

I am sorry to hear this, Frankie is a lovely and hospitable lady, I shall miss her comments. If anyone is in touch with her please pass on our good wishes and try to encourage her back to Funsters

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We also found France had got more expensive when we were there earlier this year. We seem to have spent twice as much on food as we did this time last year.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Getting back on topic...
Wouldn't it have more to do with our plummeting pound against the Euro?
Screenshot 2019-11-03 18.06.36.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Went shopping in lidl in france. €114 euros later. Could have fell through the floor!!!
I'm surprised the french can afford to eat.
Fuel I've seen as high as €1.65 litre. In Spain just over the border paid €1.15.
50 cents per litre difference on a 100 litre fuel tank.
Have you seen the price on our motorway service stations or maybe just off an A road prices fluctuate greatly here. Cheapest locally was Asda now Sainsburies, difficult to keep up last year I was in Germany filled up with fuel as I drive out the price dropped on the electronic sign......

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Have you seen the price on our motorway service stations or maybe just off an A road prices fluctuate greatly here. Cheapest locally was Asda now Sainsburies, difficult to keep up last year I was in Germany filled up with fuel as I drive out the price dropped on the electronic sign......
They saw you coming :D

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Never found France much more expensive than other European countries.

Then again, we don't bother to much about prices (within reason), shop at Lidl's Aldi etc, occasionally eat out too.

As for the people, we don't speak enough French to hold a conversation, but always greet folk with a cheery 'Bonjour' and normally get a friendly reply.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I find English expats living in France very protective of their adopted country. Even over protective.

Maybe they feel the need to justify their lifestyle choice, but they shouldn’t.

If they like it then fantastic (y)
Chris I feel no need to be overprotective of France anymore than the U.K. even though it has been my home for 15 years . However I do call out people making remarks which are either untrue or not based on fact but gleaned from the press or a visit to a country which is very different to living there.
I would do the same if it was about the U.K. As I have only visited there maybe once or twice a year since living here I accept you natives know more than me lol
I know your opinions of France and take your remarks in the lighthearted way they are written :)
However it is hard to hear France berated with one breath then boasting it is great for a FLT .

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Never found France much more expensive than other European countries.

Then again, we don't bother to much about prices (within reason), shop at Lidl's Aldi etc, occasionally eat out too.

As for the people, we don't speak enough French to hold a conversation, but always greet folk with a cheery 'Bonjour' and normally get a friendly reply.

You’re so right LesW .. if you say Bonjour you will almost always get a polite response. One thing I noticed in a supermarket in Montreuil (Carrefour?) was that every shop assistant/shelf stacker etc greeted us with a Bonjour. Lovely touch.

It is easier if you can hold a conversation, of course. From a primary teacher in the south (I was interested that the 10/11 year olds were having a Friday afternoon dinghy sailing lesson) to a couple who were in their second year running a restaurant in the Loire we had many lovely friendly conversations. People are people world over ... they (usually) match friendliness and a smile.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We were in Germany earlier in the year ... it ‘felt’ better off. Not a very scientific measure, I know ?.
I think you said that this was your first time in Germany. If so, then it's no surprise that it felt to you to be more prosperous than France. It has felt like this to me over the 40 years that I have been regularly visiting both countries. However, with the exception of Berlin, I have never been to the old East Germany.

I think that one factor which can make parts of France feel poor, is the large number of rural villages, with few young inhabitants. Particularly outside of the summer season, this can lead to quite a dismal atmosphere. (Purely my opinion.)

I like both countries. We have met many lovely people in both and each country has its own qualities. However, if I could choose just one of the two, it would definitely be Germany.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think you said that this was your first time in Germany. If so, then it's no surprise that it felt to you to be more prosperous than France. It has felt like this to me over the 40 years that I have been regularly visiting both countries. However, with the exception of Berlin, I have never been to the old East Germany.

I think that one factor which can make parts of France feel poor, is the large number of rural villages, with few young inhabitants. Particularly outside of the summer season, this can lead to quite a dismal atmosphere. (Purely my opinion.)

I like both countries. We have met many lovely people in both and each country has its own qualities. However, if I could choose just one of the two, it would definitely be Germany.

Well, almost. I spent a week in Dortmund 5 years ago ... going back for another week there later this month. Our partner school is in Dortmund.

I would like to visit old East Germany. It has, I believe, had huge amounts of investment. Our friends in Dortmund tell me that West Germans pay an extra tax which is spent in the old East German areas to try to unify the country economically.

There are still many areas of France I would like to spend more time in ... areas of Germany Waiting to be discovered and visited in more depth.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I toured France last year for 2 months as I thought I needed to discover the true France , I visited most areas and some beautiful places,a couple of points and no I didn't agrivate them and for information due to my work days speak good French.
1 . My wife needed emergency dental treatment inside the dentist refused to even look at her even though she was clearly in distress and the sarcastic smile she the dentist gave us didn't help.
2. In Coursseulles on a free aire was told to move my van as pitch reserved it was a bank holiday,I said no chance ,woke up to find human feces on the screen.
Any way thanks for your points .

This is my problem with a post like this well I fully understand your speaking from experiences that were not nice at all, I have had near enough the exact same experience with a dentist in the uk my point is having traveled extensively and can say in my experience of all those countries is just like at home there are good and bad, awkward and rude everywhere but I find the good and friendly far out way the bad

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Well having lived in France for almost 8 years in the Haute Vienne we have found the French to be friendly and helpful. My French is poor but i do try and this is appreciated. Cost? we think we are slightly better off overall than in the UK.

As for Frankie, a nicer more helpful person you could not meet!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Getting back on topic...
Wouldn't it have more to do with our plummeting pound against the Euro?
View attachment 343353
No.
I spend in euros & even I have noticed the sheer scale of the increases just over the last 5 or 6 years.
I would like to visit old East Germany. It has, I believe, had huge amounts of investment. Our friends in Dortmund tell me that West Germans pay an extra tax which is spent in the old East German areas to try to unify the country economically.
What they probably didn't mention was that it was introduced shortly after the wall came down & was a "reunification tax " of 1% for one year". :rolleyes:As my brother , who lived & worked in Germany for 30+ years, said in 2010, " & here we are 21 years later still paying" . :rofl:What he also omitted to say was it then changed around'95 into the "solidarity surcharge" known colloquially as "The Soli" & is currently around 5,5% surcharge on annual income tax amount.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
No.
I spend in euros & even I have noticed the sheer scale of the increases just over the last 5 or 6 years.

What they probably didn't mention was that it was introduced shortly after the wall came down & was a "reunification tax " of 1% for one year". :rolleyes:As my brother , who lived & worked in Germany for 30+ years, said in 2010, " & here we are 21 years later still paying" . :rofl:What he also omitted to say was it then changed around'95 into the "solidarity surcharge" known colloquially as "The Soli" & is currently around 5,5% surcharge on annual income tax amount.
They have said some of that ... am I correct that it’s still going to those areas?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They have said some of that ... am I correct that it’s still going to those areas?
Yes it is still going there but I believe that they have stopped it now for all bar the high rate tax payers & discounts for certain other criteria.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes it is still going there but I believe that they have stopped it now for all bar the high rate tax payers & discounts for certain other criteria.
Consultant anaesthetologist and (part time) heart doctor ... I’m guessing they’re paying it ... ??

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I recently discovered that if you go into a shop in France, it is good manners to greet the shopkeeper and not just rummage through their stock. It gets a good response in the UK though.
My French is bad, O level taught by a Yorkshireman 50 odd years ago, the French will sometimes ask me to speak English as they can understand me better, but are always polite.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I am sorry to hear this, Frankie is a lovely and hospitable lady, I shall miss her comments. If anyone is in touch with her please pass on our good wishes and try to encourage her back to Funsters
If that is the case I feel shamed to be associated with anyone offending a member who would appear to have given so much help and support in the past.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back