I take on my Hymer 660 heater... (2 Viewers)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sleeves rolled up and, screwdriver in hand, I tackle my Truma heater in the Hymer.

Last season it would only ignite randomly and as the winter approaches here in Portugal I am reluctant to use the van without the heater 100%.

I have a new igniter/gas switch unit and a new (double) burner ready to go in.

Yesterday I investigated and removed bits and now just have to undo the gas pipe and she should come out...

...more later...

JJ

PS... Any information from experienced Truma Funsters welcome...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
PS... Any information from experienced Truma Funsters welcome...

And no crap like "Are you a qualified gas fitter with C651/23 and G665/A/JJ/F554 certificates. If not you really should not be messing with GAS. Have you not seen the news, half of Irlam was destroyed, 200 houses, by a gas leak".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
And no crap like "Are you a qualified gas fitter with C651/23 and G665/A/JJ/F554 certificates. If not you really should not be messing with GAS. Have you not seen the news, half of Irlam was destroyed, 200 houses, by a gas leak".

started an apprenticeship in Irlam (Royles)... I bet the fitter on that job had all the certificates...

I have "grandfather rights" certificates...

JJ

PS... I went up a ladder yesterday without a trained and qualified ladder holder at the bottom of it...

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I win... the heater loses...

It tried to stay where it was but, after patient and skillful application of a little muscle, out she came...

Following this triumph there are those who would have got stuck straight in, replaced the suspected faulty part and finished the job...

...but not me!

Coffee time and post this news... then it will be too late to continue today so I will continue in due course... like tomorrow... maybe.

JJ :Cool:

Attachments

• heater out 2.jpg
    heater out 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 49
  • heater out 1.jpg
    heater out 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It's a Truma Jim, but not as we know it.

Ours is round !

bet yours is one of those young, whipper snapper Combi 6 water and space heater all in one thingies...

... mine is a stately 22 years old and while it is being fixed/serviced I could still have hot water should I choose...

JJ :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Go for it JJ, I have every confidence in you, considering its 20 years old, from the photo it looks quite unused.

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Following this triumph there are those who would have got stuck straight in, replaced the suspected faulty part and finished the job...

...but not me!

Coffee time and post this news... then it will be too late to continue today so I will continue in due course... like tomorrow... maybe.

JJ :Cool:
go for it live the life and never do today what you can put off until tomorrow, after all who knows tomorrow may never come.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
bet yours is one of those young, whipper snapper Combi 6 water and space heater all in one thingies...

... mine is a stately 22 years old and while it is being fixed/serviced I could still have hot water should I choose...

Back or Front heater JJ?

We replaced the front Truma e2800 with an e4000 after water ingress through the outside wall vent. There is no drain for it to escape.

Had the burners replaced in the rear e3000 earlier this year. The bigest problem we have had with the back one was with the battery box and its wiring. Van is 1992 Hymer S700 so only 18 years old.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi John and Joan,

My Truma doesn't fit to an outside wall... it is a double heater, it looks like two joined together and came out as one unit... its air intake is through the floor and the burnt gases are vented via a flexible chimney through the roof. The ignition system together with the flame cut off system is on the front heater so is easily accessible when the heater is in place.

It is all fitted with German thoroughness, clips holding everything firmly in place, the bits of wood that had to be removed to get the heater out are all machine cut and fit perfectly and are held in place by many screws. Very reassuring...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John and Joan,

My Truma doesn't fit to an outside wall... it is a double heater, it looks like two joined together and came out as one unit... its air intake is through the floor and the burnt gases are vented via a flexible chimney through the roof. The ignition system together with the flame cut off system is on the front heater so is easily accessible when the heater is in place.

It is all fitted with German thoroughness, clips holding everything firmly in place, the bits of wood that had to be removed to get the heater out are all machine cut and fit perfectly and are held in place by many screws. Very reassuring...

OK JJ

It is an e5000 the double version of the e3000. I have the original German manual for the e3000/5000 if you need any info.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
you are very kind John (Joan?)... I too have an original manual (operating manual)... yours isn't a service manual as well is it?

JJ

Sorry JJ only installation and information. They are quite straight forward I have worked on the old SB1800 a number of times, which is the same principle. The little nuts can get siezed but WD40 works well.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bad News

the igniter part is not quite the correct one... the gas supply pipe is different... can't fit it...:cry: :cry: :cry:

The Good News

I have found the fault... a tiny earth wire had slipped out of its screw down connecter (hence the initial random nature of the fault). I have refitted th earth wire and the igniter is sparking like a firework...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

JJ

PS... anyone want to buy some Truma heater parts... brand new?

Attachments

• wrong part.jpg
    wrong part.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 18
  • wire come loose....jpg
    wire come loose....jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If your reconned heater is as good as the Kipor that you mended for me at Shepton I just hope you have a carbon monoxide detector installed.

Its one heck of a distance for all us funsters to come just for a funeral---- but we will of course

Only kidding stay warm and comfy JJ

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If your reconned heater is as good as the Kipor that you mended for me at Shepton I just hope you have a carbon monoxide detector installed.

Its one heck of a distance for all us funsters to come just for a funeral---- but we will of course

Only kidding stay warm and comfy JJ

You jinxed it Alan... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I blame you...

Pride comes before a fall... :cry:

Timed how quickly the heater warms the Hymer last night... (minutes)

Went in this lunchtime... turned on the heater... nothing... no clicking... no nothing.

Checked the gas was switched on...

Checked the loose wire wasn't loose...

Checked the igniter batteries were charged up...

Still nothing...

Perplexed...

Only explanation... Alan (laneside) Jinxed it..

JJ :Angry: :Angry:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Link Removed
You jinxed it Alan... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I blame you...

Pride comes before a fall... :cry:

Timed how quickly the heater warms the Hymer last night... (minutes)

Went in this lunchtime... turned on the heater... nothing... no clicking... no nothing.

Checked the gas was switched on...

Checked the loose wire wasn't loose...

Checked the igniter batteries were charged up...

Still nothing...

Perplexed...

Only explanation... Alan (laneside) Jinxed it..

JJ :Angry: :Angry:

JJ have you any Gas in the BOTTLE or is it empty ??????????? check you gas rings

Link Removed

Mel

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Silly man Mel... I am only a few weeks older than you...

You think I am that stupid do you?

I better go and check...

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back