Driving Licence (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
My current licence is a pink'un dating from 1976 - the last time i changed address.
It gives me categories A and E only. I think categories must have changed since then because 'A' is any vehicle except Groups D, E, G, H and J: i.e. motorbikes, mopeds, roadrollers, invalid carriages, tracked vehicles. Group E is moped. So far, so good. By elimination, I can drive anything else which does not require a separate licence, like HGV's and PSV's.

However, I am thinking of getting my licence changed to a credit card style picture one. I am comfortably short of 70 so the need to update the picture in 10 years is not a problem. I have a concern, though. Does anyone know if the DVLA will re-issue the licence with the current categories and could I lose my entitlement to drive a MH (3500kg)?

Tony_g

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
............ Does anyone know if the DVLA will re-issue the licence with the current categories and could I lose my entitlement to drive a MH (3500kg)?

Tony_g

They shouldn't but they might! They certainly tried it with a few people re the 6500kg catagory a while back and the advice to me when it came my time to get the new license was to include a covering letter that you expect to retain your rights to the relevant catagories to which you are entitled by your previous license. In my case i also stated WHY i wanted retention of those rights, which in my case was that i drove an american RV at 7.5 tonne.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
my hubby lost his motorbike entitlement and they only keep records for 3 years so if you think something is missing off your licence make sure you write to the dvla straight away, dont just presume its covered by another category.

He will now have to retake everything at our expense.

And for anyone who hasnt already sent off their licence, remember to photocopy it before you send it just in case it gets lost.

good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I never understood the advantage of having a credit card type of licence which only last 10yrs when you also have to have the old paper type of licence.:Doh:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I never understood the advantage of having a credit card type of licence which only last 10yrs when you also have to have the old paper type of licence.:Doh:

That's easy! Its so the b*ggers can get more brass out of you!:Angry:

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Photo licence

In some countries it makes life easier to have photo id. I've resisted getting a new licence for years but I'll have to get one when I'm 70 in 8 years time, anyway.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks Pablomc

Many thanks, that is exactly the info I needed. I tried navigating around the DVLC site but managed to miss this. Well spotted!
tony_g

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Take a photocopy of the old license before sending it off. The DVLA are notoriously reluctant to rectofy their errors.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Blimey !! That is a NEW one compared to the one I have..

I have one of the green ones issued in 1972 mine.................

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

the licence last until age 70 but the photo expires every 10 years.
mine expired on 18/10/2010 and still ain't got round to renewing it :Blush:

the reason for a card licence.....because resistance if futile and we will be assimilated into the greater European collective.

plus it makes the gov a fair few £million each year with £20 a time renewal fee's

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Blimey !! That is a NEW one compared to the one I have..

I have one of the green ones issued in 1972 mine.................

i had one of those and it had bus entitlement on it :Angry:...not for hire or reward of course :winky:

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I read that if we want to keep our 7500kg entitlement existing licence holders will have to take a course over the next 2 years or so, the total course time was around 18 hours I think, has anyone else heard of this.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I read that if we want to keep our 7500kg entitlement existing licence holders will have to take a course over the next 2 years or so, the total course time was around 18 hours I think, has anyone else heard of this.

I think you are probably refering to the CPC which all vocational drivers of vehicles 7.5 tonne and above will need to continue to earn a living by driving - there is no current requirement for people to take CPC for recreational driving. IMHO this was just another Labour government scheme to create money and jobs - there are 5 modules to the CPC and you do not have to take all 5 - you can take the same module every year and still complete the course - also you do not need to do a module every year - you can do it all at once - the other point is that people who currently hold the original CPC required to hold a position as Transport Manager which is a far more complicated and involved course still has to take this basic CPC.:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you need sometimes to get heavy with them

A while back they tried to remove my motorbike licence when they re did my licence.. had a real tussle, but in the end they put it back, same as my licence was taken on a normal car not an automatic and they also changed that to automatic until we did some battle and they put the licence right..got £25 compensation from them as well.

You have to be prepared to fight for your rights or they will try and walk all over you.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back