Opinions on Tyre weld (1 Viewer)

tentpeg

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Funster No
Would you see this as a viable option tio save on the weight of carrying a spare tyre? What are people's views?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you have the smallest of pin prick puntures - it will get you to a garage, where the tyre fitter will hate you for using this gungy stuff and covering him in it from head to toe.

Anything else and you are stuffed! That will mean recovcery - in which case if you NEVER had a spare from factory, then you will be ok. If you have, they they will have the option of charging you as it breaches terms - many don't charge you for the first/odd call out for a tyre change or recovery, but some may. (Costs quite a bit to recover if over 3.5t!)

So, ok for the smallest of punctures - anything more than that and no good to man nor beast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had it in the van............It has a spare wheel.:Smile:

We had it in the Smart car trailer............It also has a spare wheel.:Smile:

And we had it in the Smart..........::bigsmile: Now that does not have a spare wheel.:Smile:

I don't know if it works,:roflmto: :winky: But we have never had a problem and as we go abroad with these it's more belt and braces. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My car does not go far anyway and has a spare, so I would change it. :Smile: But to be honest I would not want to be without a spare wheel. :Smile: Had a lorry for 18 years and spent many hours waiting for Jane to bring a wheel out or waiting for the police to cone a lane off and the tyre company ripping me off.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its crap..:Eeek:..plain and simple, if your going to have a tyre problem chances are it will be on the motorway. By the time your notice the problem and pull over the tyre will be knackered and no amount of tyre weld is going to help you.

Put a spare wheel in...you know it makes sense :thumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyre weld

hi there,my opinion,leave well alone.carry a spare.i like to know what the tyres are doing under me not mask it with some makeshift gunge:Eeek: i would not touch it. regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I used it when it was in it`s infantcy (When it first came out)

Went to a tyre garage to have a permanent repair (Screw through the tread) and the guy did not want to know.. :cry:

Dont know if it would be the same these days..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have Ultra seal in my tyres

I have Ultra seal in my car tires, I have slime inin the RV wheels and also in my Smart car (no spare and the front wheels are a different size to the rears) I also have my trailer tires done as well including the spare.

I have a full size spare on my RV but that is also done.

Does it work? well I should never know as it seals any hole as soon as it gets a puncture, but them I have not found any nails in the tires yet... I did lose a rear one tire on the RV at the rear a while ago, but that was due to the valve extender coming un done and let the air out of the valve. Cost me a tire in the end.

But every bit of gear to cross and dot is worth it to me.... not easy to change a tire in a wheelchair.

Tried the service offered where a company comes out within 2 hours anywhere in the UK with a new tire..I also beleive I have a fairy at the bottom of the garden... how about 3 days and three tire trucks from the same company until they could get a tire over the weekend... and we are talking about a large company in the South East with lots of depots including one less than half a mile from my home. Waste of money, waste of time.
They ended up paying for the new tire as compensation for the time it took. Torn up the membership, easier to get your own recovery company to do it from the yellow pages.

You pay your money and take your chances..

Me have a spare or get one and also the ultra seal... All US postal trucks use it they carry no spare wheels.. plus a lot of other companies, impressive internet video they have.

Bob

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A lot of bikers use because the last thing you want on a bike is sudden deflation of a tyre. I know of quite a few who have had objects in their tyres and the sealant has stopped them going down. Some have (rather stupidly in my opinion) run them for high mileages without having a permanent repair.

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
A lot of bikers use because the last thing you want on a bike is sudden deflation of a tyre. I know of quite a few who have had objects in their tyres and the sealant has stopped them going down. Some have (rather stupidly in my opinion) run them for high mileages without having a permanent repair.

Yes, I used it when I did bike couriering and it is certainly better than nothing. About a 50% chance th etyre will stay fuly inflated but it will slow a puncture in any case to let you get off a motorway etc. And yes, I was one of the rather stupid ones who used it permanently:Blush: - wouldn't do it now though.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I used it when it was in it`s infantcy (When it first came out)

Went to a tyre garage to have a permanent repair (Screw through the tread) and the guy did not want to know.. :cry:

Dont know if it would be the same these days..

I used to get alot of it when doing recovery - usually from VW and Ford's that never had spare wheels - tyre places either refused flat out, or charged a £40 surcharge!

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
agree with use on a bike (do make sure you shake the can though, as my friend failed to notice!)
if it was me, in the RV, I would probably carry a spare tyre (without wheel) and a can.. and if its blowing a gale and your late for a ferry then try the goo, if the conditions are more pleasant, get a tyre fitter over..

:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if i get a screw or nail in my tyre i fix it myself with tyre strings takes 5 mins and never removed a wheel yet to do it.

Link Removed

OP
OP
T

tentpeg

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Funster No
The reason I ask have just learnt the motorhome that I like has stopped supplying a spare as standard they supply tyre weld for an emergency. I also notice that cars increasingly are being supplied without provision to carry a spare tyre.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
in my experience there are 2 types of tyre sealent, the sort that comes in an aerosol can that is suposed to inflate the tire and seal the puncture at the same time .well (this is only my experiance ,25 years ago) absolute s##t all it did was fart and spew out all over the place ,(tube type ,spoked motor bike wheel):cry:then about 18 years ago i was introduced to the green slimy s##t that you put into a good tyre that is supposed to stop tyres going down in the event of a puncture.this i know works as i had an 8mm bolt stuck into the tread area of a front tyre on one of my recovery trucks,it didn't have any goo in the tyre so i went out and got some and put it in the tyre ,blew it up to the required 90 psi and pulled the bolt out,and guess what, 3 revolutions of the tyre and the hole was sealed ,i used the truck every day for 18 months before selling it on and it never lost even 1 psi . i now fit the stuff in all of the tyres on all of my vehichles and have never had a puncture since (now thats tempting fate:Doh:)i also carry a spare wheel because no amount of goo will stop or cure a blow out. hope this helps steve.:thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I used it in my lawn tractor because the rose bushes and black berry thawns kept puncturing the tyres, been in there eight years never had a puncture since.

Can't bring myself to use it in a truck or car yet.

all the best Rick

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
I'd carry some as a backup to the spare. Just in case you were really unlucky and got two punctures at once.

The tyre weld may sort one for long enough to reach a tyre place.

Wouldn't have it instead of a spare tyre though.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Personally would not use it - so easy for damage to happen and not be noticed until it get that bad you have a blow out - and the the result can be catastophic - always prefer to use Tyrons they keep the tyre on the wheel so that you can pull of the road safely even if it is a major blow out. No responsible tyre fitter will charge an exorbitant surcharge for refitting tyrons and most that I know do not charge for it at all always prefer to carry a spare.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if i get a screw or nail in my tyre i fix it myself with tyre strings takes 5 mins and never removed a wheel yet to do it.

Link Removed

definately not advised and not to BS regulations.

Puncture repairs should be carried out in accordance with BSAUl59 regulations. Only a special vulcanised plug patch should be used which repairs the tyre to the required standard.

this hasnt been a recognised repair procedure for at least 35 years and you do it at your own risk.:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the permanent stuff in the motorhome tyres (no spare and nowhere to put one. The aerosol stuff is supplied with the van for repair.
I also used it on the Smart car, same reason, no spare plus two different tyre sizes. I do not have it in the Matiz and a week ago had a flat, no detectable puncture but tyre wrecked by running it flat (it was on the rear and not immediately noticeable on the rather poor road surface) The Matiz has a spare, of a sort.

I'm quite sure that had the green gunk been in those tyres I would not have had the flat.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

No I wouldn't use it. Just a few weeks ago my hubby used it on the pram it is an all terrain 3 wheeler.

First of all it exploded, then when he finally got it in the tyre it lasted all of 1 hourish, just time for us to get back from our walk. I said at the time it wouldn't be any good for a car/mh tyre if it can't even do the job on a pram!

I'm just glad we didn't have to experiment on a larger vehicle :ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
definately not advised and not to BS regulations.

Puncture repairs should be carried out in accordance with BSAUl59 regulations. Only a special vulcanised plug patch should be used which repairs the tyre to the required standard.

this hasnt been a recognised repair procedure for at least 35 years and you do it at your own risk.:Eeek:
been used for years in the heavy transport industry, iv seen them put in 44 ton artic,s and last for 1000,s of miles ,but as you say at our own risk??
and also put in hole,s 10 mm wide caused by rebar.
but as you say not british standard but cheap and quick.
by the way most british standards are wiped out by EU regs now????

chris

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in a pram wheel.. did I read that right?

Hi

No I wouldn't use it. Just a few weeks ago my hubby used it on the pram it is an all terrain 3 wheeler.

First of all it exploded, then when he finally got it in the tyre it lasted all of 1 hourish, just time for us to get back from our walk. I said at the time it wouldn't be any good for a car/mh tyre if it can't even do the job on a pram!

I'm just glad we didn't have to experiment on a larger vehicle :ROFLMAO:

If you put that under pressure in a pram tire then I am not suprised it exploded... the pressure in a car tire is much higher for the size than a pram tire... I did read that right? a pram tire:Doh: always something new... made my day this has.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Eeek:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
If you put that under pressure in a pram tire then I am not suprised it exploded... the pressure in a car tire is much higher for the size than a pram tire... I did read that right? a pram tire:Doh: always something new... made my day this has.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No it didn't explode in the tyre!!!

The can exploded when he set it up to use. It is a beast of a pram!!!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
My future daughter in law had a puncture in her Smart car. The breakdown people refused to come out to her assistance if she was'nt carrying a can of tyre seal. This was her second puncture in a week and having used the can which was with the car on the first one I had to go out to her with another can before the recovery vehicle got to her.

Deleted User
Would you see this as a viable option tio save on the weight of carrying a spare tyre? What are people's views?

My motorhome had no spare wheel supplied when purchased new (rapido) just a can of gunk and compresser. As we were driving to portugal I did'nt fancy being stuck up the pyronees needing a replacement tyre I decided to buy a wheel and tyre. A new rim from mercedes was no problem but matching the continental tyre was a wait of 2 weeks, a spare wheel is peace of mind and well worth the extra 35kilos
spongy

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thank god for that, you had me worried

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No it didn't explode in the tyre!!!

The can exploded when he set it up to use. It is a beast of a pram!!!

Thank goodness for that, had me really worried.. had this mental picture of a baby in a pram going bang.. the tire getting bigger and bigger and then BANG it explodes and the baby goes sky high.:Doh:

Bob:thumb:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Thank goodness for that, had me really worried.. had this mental picture of a baby in a pram going bang.. the tire getting bigger and bigger and then BANG it explodes and the baby goes sky high.:Doh:

Bob:thumb:

I was laughing my head off last night everytime I thought of this :ROFLMAO:

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
Punctures

If you have the smallest of pin prick puntures - it will get you to a garage, where the tyre fitter will hate you for using this gungy stuff and covering him in it from head to toe.

Anything else and you are stuffed! That will mean recovcery - in which case if you NEVER had a spare from factory, then you will be ok. If you have, they they will have the option of charging you as it breaches terms - many don't charge you for the first/odd call out for a tyre change or recovery, but some may. (Costs quite a bit to recover if over 3.5t!)

So, ok for the smallest of punctures - anything more than that and no good to man nor beast.

Interested in your comment above regarding recovery. I spoke to Green Flag, which is my recovery company for my MH and car and they said that punctures are covered in the policy.Do I need to ask for more details do you think?
Gaudie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back