Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Only this week he said we would be all alone and lonely motorhoming in Devon and Cornwall at this time of the year

Well look at the picture, its an old quarry just outside of Minehead we got here just after lunch and took the last available spot. If I had faced the other way there is a similar amount of vehicles.

I know its not quite Devon its Somerset but just goes to show either Buttons is wrong or the times they are a changing.

Incidently never been to Minehead before it is possibly the least annoying seaside town we have been to with pleasant beaches and equally pleasant forest walks. The journey from junction 24 on the M5 to here is also very pleasant albeit a bit twisty

Last edited:
OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi Alan is it a club site?

Hi Ken and Steph

Yes it is the caravan club site at Minehead just a mile and half walk to the town and beach and similar to heathland and forest

It is a whacking £12.50 per night but Lynda said I smelled and needed a proper shower.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
looking at site it looks ok .:thumb::

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
Yes it is the caravan club site at Minehead just a mile and half walk to the town and beach and similar to heathland and forest

....And not forgetting Dunster.:Smile:

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
PS...........We stayed at this site about a month ago, and as beginners, learnt just how annoying it can be if someones 'Van alarm goes off at just past 3:00am!:Doh:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We were down that way Sept / Oct. The CC club sites looked busy but we just used CL's many of which were empty and £4 or £5 per night. Some great CL's down that way although they may be a bit boggy by now if there has been a lot of rain.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
As the big sites close down for the winter, the ones that remain open will remain busy, while the CLs/CSs will be quiet.

Location is important too of course, hence Minehead - in October Corfe Castle was full when I visited while California Cross (in the middle of nowhere south of Dartmoor, narrow access roads in all directions) was almost empty. Both are C&CC.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Taunton is not that far from there

When we had some work done by VanBitz we visited Minehead.. giving Cornish Farm a plug here.. they have a very agreeable site in Taunton with great facilities.. Have stayed a few times now while having work done on the RV.. it is a commerical site 4 penant if I am correct and a good touring base..

Bob:thumb:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Minehead always reminds me of France! Lovely area, Watchet, Dunster....they are all nice round that area, Lynton & Lynmouth with the lift, fantastic. We have to go to St Davids to get our winter bedding & clothing then we are off to Somerset/Dorset/Devon etc.. Think we will be near Looe for Xmas.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
near Looe

Minehead always reminds me of France! Lovely area, Watchet, Dunster....they are all nice round that area, Lynton & Lynmouth with the lift, fantastic. We have to go to St Davids to get our winter bedding & clothing then we are off to Somerset/Dorset/Devon etc.. Think we will be near Looe for Xmas.:thumb:

Years ago I used to take my A class RV to Killigath Manor just outside Looe, nice site and I could get in and out with a bit of care. Love looe, have not been there for a long time.. perhaps I may again.

Bob:RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Twas at Minehead my kids ( as was ! ) saw dolphins for the first time
We were standing on Quat Street along by the harbour when suddenly 4 or 5 appeared very close to the shore..
You also get whales in the estuary sometimes.. def worth a look anyway ..
Actually, on a clear day, you also get Wales ( but that is not quite so exciting )

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Need a thrill?

Take a drive from Minehead to Lynton thro Porlock, make sure you're wearing brown troos. Even better do it when it's foggy.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
And take the walk to Culbone Church reputedly the smallest in England, don't know if there is still a hut with tea and coffee on offer when you get there.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is that the road that just makes a sudden dive down with no notice

Need a thrill?

Take a drive from Minehead to Lynton thro Porlock, make sure you're wearing brown troos. Even better do it when it's foggy.

Is that the back road that suddenly dives down without any notice a dead drop in to a hollow? done that in a car, hate to try it in an RV.

Bob:Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Only this week he said we would be all alone and lonely motorhoming in Devon and Cornwall at this time of the year
Well look at the picture, its an old quarry just outside of Minehead we got here just after lunch and took the last available spot. If I had faced the other way there is a similar amount of vehicles.
I know its not quite Devon its Somerset but just goes to show either Buttons is wrong or the times they are a changing.

Hi Laneside. I only just picked up this thread as we flew in from Cyprus last night, the weather in Cyprus was unseasonably dry and hot 35c :sin:we managed a great sun tan had a great time, our All Inclusive hotel :Cool:was brilliant and I must have put on a stone and will take a week to sober up. :wine:
Glad to hear you are having a good time Minedhead :rain: it is a great place to visit during the hot summer weeks, are you sure all those vans are not in cold storage for the winter, looks very quiet to me.
Hope you don’t get caught up in the floods of Cornwall, front wheel drive,::bigsmile:riving2: you could soon loose traction and it could be March before anyone passes by and finds you there. :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Remember doing Porlock with my mum and dad when I was a very small child.. Motorbike and side car !! We did make it up but I remember seeing cars at the side of the road that didn't :RollEyes:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We haven't been that way in the motorhome but it's next on the list.

Remember about 20 years ago along A39 we took a turn to avoid Porlock Hill and the road got narrower the further we went and we finally came out to see a sign behind us saying "Unsuitable For Motorists" :Doh:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If anyone that is not adverse to paying site fees is going that way then the nicest Caravan Club site we have ever been on was the Brixham one.

It is laid out so well and private with many sea views, the bus to Torquay and other places stops outside the gate.

In season there is a bar and swimming pool and nice walks to Dartmouth which is ever so pretty.

Out of season it was £15.00 per night but may be a bit pricey in mid season

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
This is a great thread and giving me ideas:Smile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If anyone that is not adverse to paying site fees is going that way then the nicest Caravan Club site we have ever been on was the Brixham one.

It is laid out so well and private with many sea views, the bus to Torquay and other places stops outside the gate.

In season there is a bar and swimming pool and nice walks to Dartmouth which is ever so pretty.

Out of season it was £15.00 per night but may be a bit pricey in mid season

Thats Hillhead! one of my favourite sites, just a bus ride to everywhere. When in Dartmouth try The Rockfish on the river front near where you get the pedestrian ferry (the pan fried Mackeral is a bit of a swindle, but the Scallops is good value,as is the Scampi, and as for the chips:thumb:,
Or for something completely different, but early morning opening, shuts at twelve, try Alf Rescos as you come off the vehicle ferry turn right and it's along on the left, mouth watering food, tremendous atmosphere sunday morning is the best time!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Need a thrill?

First time I did that was in a morris 12 I paid £5.00 for with three other lads in it, I thought I was going to have to turn it round and go up porlock backwards, or get them to push, just made the top in first gear overheating with a very smelly clutch.

Ahhhh those were the days not.

When we were kids our holiday base every year was Washford just down the road. Got a piccy somewhere of me aged 9 sitting on the wall at Minehead surrounded bt seagulls.

All the best Rick

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Laneside. I only just picked up this thread as we flew in from Cyprus last night, the weather in Cyprus was unseasonably dry and hot 35c :sin:we managed a great sun tan had a great time, our All Inclusive hotel :Cool:was brilliant and I must have put on a stone and will take a week to sober up. :wine:Glad to hear you are having a good time Minedhead :rain: it is a great place to visit during the hot summer weeks, are you sure all those vans are not in cold storage for the winter, looks very quiet to me.
Hope you don’t get caught up in the floods of Cornwall, front wheel drive,::bigsmile:riving2: you could soon loose traction and it could be March before anyone passes by and finds you there. :roflmto:
:active::whistle:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We missed the floods by just one day but no worries our motorhome is a rear wheel drive trannie, it took Porlock hill like a sports car even with leaves under the wheels.

Honest those caravans and motorhomes were all occupied but we did find some well spaced out sites lower down country

Alan and Lynda

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We stayed at the CCC site at Minehead a couple of years back, no tuggers there as the roads up to it are not suitable for caravans::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back