The Ausie attitude to motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
"Having a public dump point is an attraction to mobile tourists, and we need to remember that this is the fastest growing segment of the tourism industry in this country," Mr Berry said.

"Installing a dump point and providing necessary rest areas for these travellers will encourage them to visit, stay and spend their dollars in that town with the local businesses."

The Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) provided the kit .. can't see the CC or C&CC doing that .. can you ?

The Port Lincoln City Council accepted the CMCA's offer to assist in having a dump installed under a subsidy scheme where councils are given a 'dump-ezy' dump point free and only have to cover installation costs.
Link Removed

Link Removed

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thing is Jim , its such a vast place . Many Ozzie's never even leave the place. Flights from Oz to Europe are a lot more expensive than from EU to Oz too . Which really bugs the residents !
It would be great if we had the facilities though. It would encourage more people to tour the UK.
I.M.O

Motorhoming even caravaning is an expensive hobby in OZ.
Much more than here.
Lots of Brits we know , got a right shock once they emigrated. They couldnt afford a caravan. Even though they had had top quality ones , or even motorhomes in the G.B.
Most family's out there camp , with tents or trailer tents. Everywhere is geared up for camping , its great. We found it very cheap on the camp sites converting £ to $ .
But all of our pommy friends , actually out there earning $ , found it expensive to do. None were able to enjoy camping every weekend like we were. Even though they regularly did it in the UK and they had all the lovely weather out there .
They said most of the year , it was far too hot in a tent . No air con .
They were used to flying off to Greece , Spain etc a couple of times a year too .
Now they were hard pushed to do a couple of weeks at a "Big 4" ( realy good sites fab facillities ) site in a tent , once a year.
These were proper tradies aswell , sparkies, chippies, brickies . Who went out for a better "life style " for their families :Sad:

We shall definatly go again though and tour with a hired MH . We only did S.A .
Its a great place to drive , when not in the suburbs. ( Too many mini roundabouts there, for MH's to stop the hoons , leaving black skid marks on the roads)
Big open roads , massive skies ......
Bev

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
And of course the caravan or motorhome costs a lot more because as has been said, they have to be built that much more solidly to withstand the mileage and the road surfaces (or rather lack of it in many places!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
And of course the caravan or motorhome costs a lot more because as has been said, they have to be built that much more solidly to withstand the mileage and the road surfaces (or rather lack of it in many places!)

and not to forget our LA's would be unlikely to find the installation cost either in the current climate.

regarding our roads, I saw a news item this morning that indicated Somerset's road budget was being cut in the region of 70% - we have a lot more potholes coming if they all get even half way to those reductions folks.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
We had a 6 week holiday in Aus 9 years ago and loved every minite of it.We hired type 25 VW`s and toured around,the campsites were far better than what was generally available in this country at the time and the people very friendly.I must say I didnt get the impression that owning a Campervan /Caaravan /Boat etc was regarded as something special as the whole place seemed geared up for the outdoor lifestyle.
As for the dump idea ,wont happen here ,too many people with the attitude of, I dont use it why should I pay for it,as in LIbaries and other services that are available already.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
and not to forget our LA's would be unlikely to find the installation cost either in the current climate.

regarding our roads, I saw a news item this morning that indicated Somerset's road budget was being cut in the region of 70% - we have a lot more potholes coming if they all get even half way to those reductions folks.

Even before the cuts the roads were bad - many of the side roads in Somerset were a series of potholes connected by bits of tarmac - in some areas they have overcome the need to repair the road by erecting a sign saying 'Risk of Potholes' should have put another one up 'May find some Tarmac if careful':Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The point I was trying to make was that the Ausie councils actually appreciate and value motorhome visitors .. in stark contrast to the attitude to SOME of or councils ..

"Installing a dump point and providing necessary rest areas for these travellers will encourage them to visit, stay and spend their dollars in that town with the local businesses."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back