Winter time take it out of storage for the day. (1 Viewer)

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Well all we know the season is nearly here and most wont use there vans over winter, For us ours is in Storage and i was wondering if i am the only one or am i mad to say that if we dont use our MH for afew weeks i plan on getting it out of storage for the odd day and just drive it about instead of the car.

What do you lot do in these circumstances,

We plan on using it as much as we can but there maybe a large gap..

Craig

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You do right. The longer it lies the more it dies. Ours is on the drive and so we can take it out pretty much anytime.
Jim
:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with Jim. We had hoped to get away in October but didn't manage it for various reasons. We took the van out for a run up the A19 today rather than use the car.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I take mine for a run every 14 days just to keep the oil circulating and just as importantly the tyres turning, make sure you give it a good run not just to warm up, I usualy do about 30 to 40 miles in mine.

Hope this helps Rick.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We keep ours in storage all year round , though we use it all year round too. Most weekends and the odd week here n there.
Saying that we got it last November , and used it all over the winter and are still using it as much as we can now. Kids social lives permitting:Doh:
The only thing that stopped us going out at times last winter , was the heavy snow.
The storage gates had frozen up at one point , we had to wait for the owners to unfreeze the locks on the main gates and manually push up the barriers. Saying that , if we had the MH at home , we would never have got it up the hill on to the main road.
Even our Nissan Terrano 4x4 struggled:whatthe:
Our next longer trip is Aviemore Boxing Day over the New Year. Wonder if we will get snowed in? Wheres the fingers crossed smiley.
Bev

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
We plan on using it over winter and are looking for sites open all year with things to do even if its just shops near by, Was looking at going to london and take kids to Hamleys the massive toy store ::bigsmile:... And if they do want togo there i am going anyway :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why ?

Why does an engine need exercising, it has no memory and MOST wear occurs when starting .. not running, so it's not doing any good .. or is it just for the feel good factor running it. ?
An engine can stand for years with no harm coming to it ..

Tyres can get flat spots but soon return to normal after they warm up.. if really fussy, jack the vehicle up and put on stands and cover the tyres with sacking.

Hand brake left off, then it won't jam on

Battery either removed or left in vehicle and kept on a maintenance charge ..

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Why does an engine need exercising, it has no memory and MOST wear occurs when starting .. not running, so it's not doing any good .. or is it just for the feel good factor running it. ?
An engine can stand for years with no harm coming to it ..

Tyres can get flat spots but soon return to normal after they warm up.. if really fussy, jack the vehicle up and put on stands and cover the tyres with sacking.

Hand brake left off, then it won't jam on

Battery either removed or left in vehicle and kept on a maintenance charge ..

The logic, or at least my logic is condensation could form within engine, gearbox, axle etc and by running (driving) regularly it stops this being a problem as well as pumping/throwing the oils around to retain a coating on the various surfaces. You leave a vehicle outside for years it will sieze up period, indoors yes you may get away with it more than likely.

Personal experience here, most vehicles I've come accross that have spent time layed up are a pain, discs/drums rusting up which wilst they may/will clean up in use often don't give good performance, so need changing and ball joints, sure fired way to end up changing the buggers is leave a vehicle standing for prelong periods, OK proper ones with grease nipple can be 'cleaned' through but in the more typical the grease will go hard and frankly I've seen perfect ball joints (in theory) run less than a 1000 miles on idle vehicles.
Each to there own, but I always excersize a vehicle around 2-3 weeks, with us it can even happen with the cars let alone Winne.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The logic, or at least my logic is condensation could form within engine, gearbox, axle etc and by running (driving) regularly it stops this being a problem as well as pumping/throwing the oils around to retain a coating on the various surfaces. You leave a vehicle outside for years it will sieze up period, indoors yes you may get away with it more than likely.

Personal experience here, most vehicles I've come accross that have spent time layed up are a pain, discs/drums rusting up which wilst they may/will clean up in use often don't give good performance, so need changing and ball joints, sure fired way to end up changing the buggers is leave a vehicle standing for prelong periods, OK proper ones with grease nipple can be 'cleaned' through but in the more typical the grease will go hard and frankly I've seen perfect ball joints (in theory) run less than a 1000 miles on idle vehicles.
Each to there own, but I always excersize a vehicle around 2-3 weeks, with us it can even happen with the cars let alone Winne.

Gotta be honest I'm with you Dodgey, I have repaired too many low mileage unused vehicles in my time and seen too many brake shoes or pads part company with their bonding to leave them standing, I will always run them, cars as well. I have even sold cars because I hadn't got time to run them.

All the best Rick.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
RWS

Absolutely! We find that if we do not take our Euro Mobil out on a regular basis it starts to develop RWS (Restless Wheels Syndrome) and instead of its usual perky appearance:-

5151008035_2a370afd6f.jpg

it starts to look a sadder vehicle altogether:-

Link Removed

and if ignored becomes completely depressed:-

Link Removed

and I really do think a vehicle suffers more from standing than by being kept in use.

Wyn

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Agree with Simon and Rick keep them moving

Gotta be honest I'm with you Dodgey, I have repaired too many low mileage unused vehicles in my time and seen too many brake shoes or pads part company with their bonding to leave them standing, I will always run them, cars as well. I have even sold cars because I hadn't got time to run them.

All the best Rick.

We put the Winnibago to bed so to speak..put on the front outside screen, put the wheel covers on the wheels, pull the blinds down, open the cupboards, turn the oil heater on (80 watts) and set the boiler to 37 degrees to kick in, put a custom made cover in the front of the Atwood heater between the metal door and the body of the boiler, open the grey valve and then set the dehumidifier on timer for each night........... then we wake her up and strip everything off - ok takes half an hour then we use her... no set times, just as we fancy.. I love driving her, and that is reason enough to do it... the good for the vehicle is a bonus as far as I am concerned and I agree with Simon (Dodgey) and Rick (Motor Romin) that it is better to keep them on the move. I used to own half a dozen coaches many years back and know the issues if a vehicle is left to stand.

Motor homes are no different and need to be used.. why have one if you just moth ball it for half a year. Looking forward to the new year bash in Hampshire and I certainly hope to have it out over night before then.. if not it goes out for a trip and I love it.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back