Getting to France from West Yorks (1 Viewer)

Slackhouse

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
Exp
One
Hi we are planing our first continental trip - travelling from West Yorkshire to France. The cost of the crossing from Hull is far more expensive than the channel hop - but does save on the drive expense and time to Dover or Folkstone. Advice on the what is the best option would be appreciated.
Hull is 80 miles from home - Dover 290 miles.

Also is the tunnel better than the ferry?

Thanks

Pete

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Pete
You have to balance losing two days of your holiday and nearly a full tank each way just travelling to dover!!
If you do decide to come south then the tunnel's far better imo, though it's far dearer unless you use tesco vouchers.
Whichever you choose, enjoy your holiday :thumb:

cheers...nige

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hull vs Dover...no contest, Dover every time.

assuming you can average 25mpg it will cost around £55 to £60 each way, and you'll be using (slightly) cheaper french diesel on the way back.

so, £120 in fuel and maybe £100 return ferry...£220

Hull ferry must be the best part of £450 ? plus the fuel to get there and back.

£200+ buys a lot of diesel for touring france.

time wise i did Scarborough to Dover in 7 hours without rushing and you're a lot nearer to the M1/A1 than we are.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pete
You have to balance losing two days of your holiday and nearly a full tank each way just travelling to dover!!
If you do decide to come south then the tunnel's far better imo, though it's far dearer unless you use tesco vouchers.
Whichever you choose, enjoy your holiday :thumb:

cheers...nige

two and a half to three hours to Hull and another twelve hours sailing time...near as damn it a day gone...and the same on the way back.

swings and roundabouts timewise !

Hull ferry is a very expensive floating hotel at maybe £450 a night for a tin room with bunk beds :roflmto:.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hull vs Dover...no contest, Dover every time.

assuming you can average 25mpg it will cost around £55 to £60 each way, and you'll be using (slightly) cheaper french diesel on the way back.

so, £120 in fuel and maybe £100 return ferry...£220

Hull ferry must be the best part of £450 ? plus the fuel to get there and back.

£200+ buys a lot of diesel for touring france.

time wise i did Scarborough to Dover in 7 hours without rushing and you're a lot nearer to the M1/A1 than we are.:thumb:

Me to John I totally agree with you :thumb:...Mel.....its not that far for Yorkshire although it is closer from Kent:ROFLMAO:

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
We have been doing this trip for years now,and three times a year, the price of the Hull trip is now to dear, we travel down to Dover in about 6 hrs, cross over and camp near Calais, then you are not having to get up very early to catch the ferry.
The thing that causes the main problem is the Thames crossing it can cause a delay so allow plenty of time, we allow a couple of hours, most time we are given an earlier ferry if we arrive early. If you need further help send me a PM.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We enjoy the Hull crossings but they are very expensive AND you still have to put the mileage in on the other side. However if you are doing N. Europe it saves going all the way down to Dover to come back up again.
Plus point was that when I was still working, because they are overnight sailings, I could leave work a little bit earlier and catch the ferry in Hull without losing a full day. Likewise coming back, I've gone straight to work from the ferry.
I tend to use the Tunnel because I don't like all the hanging around waiting to embark. Sheffield to Dover is about 5 hours at night.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi didn't know we had a Funster in out next town.

We do the trip once or twice each year to France and always use the Dover crossing. We find the A1 the best route down and as people say about six hours.

We invariably spend the night around Dover to take advantage of a reasonable crossing charge and to arrive in France at a reasonable time of the day to continue our journey down.

We have been tempted to try the chunnel but it always seems more expensive than the ferry.

What ever you choose just enjoy it.

Alan and Lynda

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Never sailed from hull as others have said expensive always gone from Dover usually get a early evening ferry around 6ish then stay at the aire in calais or the docks and then refreshed the following morning.
We travelled from west yorks to Dover in August around 7 hrs with a good stop, we did around 2500 miles in total got to say the 500 mile round trip to and from dover was the most stressfull and hard work of all the miles we covered plus while on the ferry you feel like you are on holiday.

Ged

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Having done all of these, my advice would be Portsmouth to Le Havre.

When I lived in Hebden Bridge, we crossed from Hull to Zeebrugge, which was okay 'cos we were going to Holland, and then on into Belgium. If you want to get to France, it's a fair old trek from Zebrugge to anywhere decent in France.

Le Havre on the other hand gets you immediately into a decent part of France, with the opportunity to head South very quickly.

Portsmouth is easy to get to. Motorway all the way pretty much from the West Riding, although there are a number of straighter and more scenic alternatives.

Hope this helps.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We used to live in Halifax so we were 6 miles from you and when we were going south to France we always went via the A1 south it's really a better route bit better scenery and far more places to stop in fact in my mind the A1 is infinetely preferable to the M1 (I was a HGV driver for many years)
Going via the A1 it is do-able to Dover in 6 hours..We used to set off a day earlier and stay overnight at Black Horse Farm (CC Site in Folkestone) and then early rollout from there and catch the ferry and away from Eastern docks

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Its some years since we did Hull (Zeebrugge) tugging. Much as others have said, its a luxury. For us just a short drive on the M62. 6pm boarding. One of the best buffet meals we have had anywhere, first class service, a few drinks and bed at a reasonable hour (with a cabin - tin, but adequate). Shower and breakfast let you hit the road 7-8am 'ish fed and fresh as a daisy. We were doing the north side, not France. Same on the way back - and home by lunch still fresh. But it costs.

We have travelled overnight to Le Havre after a long drive south. Again in a cabin and some years ago. Boarding about 11pm, quite tiring, and early early up if you want breakfast as we were of the boat before 7am. On the way back similar times and then a long drive north - i felt like i needed a holiday when i got home shattered. never again.

Last time we went tugging we did dover-dunkirk and as mentioned dartford a pain and we had a good day apparently. BUT, much more economical.

Now we have the MH we intend next time to do a leisurely drive down to near dover, crossing at a reasonable hour, and a reasonable hour or so max to the first stopover.

For me now there are two issues. Firstly, a lesuirely relaxing drive down and it may take a day longer overall we know. Secondly, a more economical trip - its pension time.

Never done the tunnel as SWMBO does not like the idea.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We have done Leeds to Dover crossing twice this year. 6 hours down with a nice stop for lunch and dog walk, then stop the night at Marine Parade and early over the next morning. £50 return plus £25 for the dog. We always go down the A1 since we are just a mile from the M62. Pension time for us too and we certainly wouldn't do the more expensive routes. Also, we fill up in Belgium and get home on 3/4 tank.

Ivy

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always think that going by road is cheaper than going by sea... and concerning

"the time taken to get there" aspect ...

...as a motorhoming nut I really, really enjoy the motoring side of our hobby/pastime/addiction just as much as the sitting outside the motorhomein the sun part of it.

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back