Which Awning??? (1 Viewer)

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hello All,
We have an Autotrail Cheyenne 635SE, prchased only a few weeks ago and have not ventured forth yet, I want to get an Awning for it, we have two Cockers and it would be nice to have somewhere to clean the a bit before they get in the MH especially in the Winter and of course for our relaxing use in the Summer.

Question is, Which one would you all recommend, I do not want something which takes hours to erect, which would probably mean it stays in the bag!!!

I have seen some with a figure of eight fixing strip which presumably slide into a channel somewher on the MH although I can't see such a channel on ours, I recall that is how our awning fitted when we had a caravan, this brings the next question, I can see how the figure of 8 system works when initially erecting the awning but how does one leave the awning as a stand alone whilst away??

Any comments on types and makes and fixing issues would be most welcome.

Paul

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can see how the figure of 8 system works when initially erecting the awning but how does one leave the awning as a stand alone whilst away??

Any comments on types and makes and fixing issues would be most welcome.

Paul

You just slide the fig8 out. Sounds easy ? Try it at -8 in a gale :Smile:

We bought one of these a few months ago:
http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_108384.html

Very good for the price. Tried it twice in preparation for Spain in 6 weeks. It makes a huge difference in space. The top fits OK with fig8 but the side seals are a bit iffy. We want it as living space so we are more fussy about the side seals than if it were just a utility area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are no good, quick, easy ones..

quick ones don't stand up to the wind..

good ones take time to put up ... so most end up on ebay

I had a Movelite XL ... good quality and great when up, but .... it's now sold :roflmto:

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Which Awning

We have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite XL which is about 10X10 foot inside when erected. It takes about 15 to 25 mins to erect once you get the hang of it. Really needs two people and not so easy in a strong wind. We bought a drive away kit which slides onto the wind out awning. To drive away just slide it off and go. We have two dogs and they seem to like the extra space the awning provides. Cost is probably round the £200.00 mark now. Also it is very light and pack into a small kit bag. Cost about £200.00 now , but cheaper if you shop around on the Internet. Regards Pam and Dave.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have an Apache which we are taking with us on our winter travels.

The big question is how long will you stay in one place? If the answer is not long you will not want to spend the time erecting it for only a short time.

The domed shaped ones are OK but may not stand up to very rough weather. We have tried both Ours has a steel frame, which makes it very heavy but we have had it up in force 8 gales without any mishap.

Our figure of 8 just clips onto the roll out awning and with some ratchet tie downs will stay in place while we are away.

Some pics attached.

Attachments

• 25062010472.jpg
    25062010472.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 25062010474.jpg
    25062010474.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 20

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Paul,

I have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite XL Awning with a figure 8 drive away fixing kit that im going to put in the classifieds in the next couple of days. PM me if your intrested.
Cheers Min:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have a Riversway Mobil driveaway.
Havent used it in winds as yet, but it goes up fairly easily and actually fits back into its bag.

OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far, I had seen the Riverways one at the NEC show and was quite impressed, however the Movelite XL seems to get good press as well and is half the weight, is that a good thing or does it just mean it is not as well made and thinner material for example.
My biggest worry is that it will be difficult to use as a driveaway and then reattach as we do not have a car to tow and intend to use the MH to do our sight seeing, so it could mean disconnecting and reconnecting on a daily basis, does this change anyone's views. Also any comments on how the sides are attached to the MH?

Thanks again Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back