sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have read elsewhere that there is an issue with the above, in particular the motor engine. Concorde are apparently giving this information.

Vehicles with delivery date before June 2016 are not affected. In the awning box or on the cover of the awning inside is a nameplate with date of manufacture, everything that was made before June 2016 is safe.

If, after delivery, a new awning with date of manufacture was installed after June 2016, then this is of course also affected or should be checked.

Another distinguishing feature is the shape of the remote control, the affected awnings have a small rectangular remote control, the unaffected one, which is rectangular and about 14-16 cm long.

I cannot find any reference to this on Google and the advice given to offending installation owners is to secure the awning with cable ties until the engine has been replaced?

Has anyone heard of this?

Michael

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, we haven’t been advised that there may be a problem. Ours would be one of those affected. I’ll ask the dealership for advice on what to do.

Thanks for the info.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Michael
I’ve emailed Durrwang as ours could be one of the affected ones
Luckily we’re going there for our 2 year damp test next week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Michael, I have heard back from Southdowns about the recall. Ours is one of those affected and we will have to get the defective part replaced, which will be done free of charge.

The reason for the recall is that they’ve had reports of incidents where the drive wheel of the motor has separated itself from the motor causing uncontrolled opening of the awning.

Thanks again for flagging this issue up.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Michael, I have heard back from Southdowns about the recall. Ours is one of those affected and we will have to get the defective part replaced, which will be done free of charge.

The reason for the recall is that they’ve had reports of incidents where the drive wheel of the motor has separated itself from the motor causing uncontrolled opening of the awning.

Thanks again for flagging this issue up.
Have they said how long before the repair can be carried out and if it’s ok the use the van in the meantime?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We’re not in the UK at the moment Robert so we’ll book it in for when we return. We need a couple of things looked at anyway so we’ll combine those with the awning issue - it’s not an inconvenience to us really. We just need to give advance notice to Southdowns so they can get the part in.

We’ll continue to use the vehicle but will have the securitisation (their word!) kit fitted ASAP.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’re not in the UK at the moment Robert so we’ll book it in for when we return. We need a couple of things looked at anyway so we’ll combine those with the awning issue - it’s not an inconvenience to us really. We just need to give advance notice to Southdowns so they can get the part in.

We’ll continue to use the vehicle but will have the securitisation (their word!) kit fitted ASAP.
We’ve had that ‘kit’ fitted
It’s basically a few strips of nylon reinforced tape

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

So, if we put gaffer tape across would that be the same? Can you describe where it was applied and if gaffer tape or similar would do the same job?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Robert you were at Polch why did they not fit the motor upgrade instead of just the temporary solution which precludes any operation? I understand the issue is the drive plate which previously they fitted with a mechanical holding to the motor but that in circa 2016 they switched to the plate being just press fitted onto the motor shaft. The upgrade is the addition of a mechanical fixing to hold the plate definitively in place, otherwise there is a distant possibility that it could "fly" off and the awning unravel in consequence.
Morelo and Concorde factories are currently fitting the upgrade, so why not NiBi? There is a particular complexity in fitting this upgrade to roof mounted units.
M

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert you were at Polch why did they not fit the motor upgrade instead of just the temporary solution which precludes any operation? I understand the issue is the drive plate which previously they fitted with a mechanical holding to the motor but that in circa 2016 they switched to the plate being just press fitted onto the motor shaft. The upgrade is the addition of a mechanical fixing to hold the plate definitively in place, otherwise there is a distant possibility that it could "fly" off and the awning unravel in consequence.
Morelo and Concorde factories are currently fitting the upgrade, so why not NiBi? There is a particular complexity in fitting this upgrade to roof mounted units.
M
I was going to Durrwang for my 2 year damp test so they fitted the securing kit.They had only just received them and hadn’t yet got any repair kits.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So, if we put gaffer tape across would that be the same? Can you describe where it was applied and if gaffer tape or similar would do the same job?
It’s basically gaffer tape
About 4 strips fitted from behind and over the top of the awning cassette
You’d need a ladder to do it

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Is there a chance that someone who’s had the upgrade/security kit fitted would be kind enough to post an image.
I’m miles and months away from going anywhere near Southdowns and it appears to be a pretty simple fix.
Thanks.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
CE77722D-58A4-40B3-B485-D9D5582D511F.jpeg

6E84EA46-4F78-468E-B37B-120027420A54.jpeg

0FDA8A9E-BD4C-4913-9774-962AA204F16A.jpeg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Is there a chance that someone who’s had the upgrade/security kit fitted would be kind enough to post an image.
I’m miles and months away from going anywhere near Southdowns and it appears to be a pretty simple fix.
Thanks.

I’d give them a call and ask if your vehicle is affected first. You might be lucky and find it’s OK.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It’s basically gaffer tape
About 4 strips fitted from behind and over the top of the awning cassette
You’d need a ladder to do it

All technical stuff huh!! :D

We’ve got a surveyor’s ladder onboard so we should be able to sort it ourselves.

I think cable ties would be neater and do a better job.

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Is the recall for both 12v and 240v
motors ?

Kath

Kath, This is the message that I had forwarded to me via Southdowns.

Product Recall: Thule Omnistor awning type TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V Nice tubular motor, and Motor kits 230V for TO 8000 and TO 9200, produced in the time period June 2016 to July 2019

As we are sure you are aware, quality and safety are paramount to all the Thule products that we bring to the market. Despite our best efforts to always develop and manufacture high-quality products, we regret to inform you that we have identified a potential safety issue with our awnings, models Thule Omnistor TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V tubular motor, produced in the time period from 01 June 2016 to 31 July 2019.

We have had limited number of reports of incidents where the drive wheel of the Nice 230V tubular motor has separated itself from the motor, causing an inadvertent and uncontrolled opening of the awning.

We have therefore notified the competent market surveillance authorities of the issue.

Now we ask for your help to facilitate the recall process. We need any contact information to all customers who may have received vehicles with the affected motorized awnings or where the awning motor has been retrofitted or repaired in the aforementioned period. We intend to properly inform these consumers, send them instructions and materials to secure their awning, and invite them to have their awning retrofitted for free.

We therefore kindly ask you to provide us immediately with all data of the affected end customers with the delivery and production date of their vehicle or with the date of installation of their motor kit. You may find attached a sample data sheet to input all necessary information required.

As our analysis shows that in a worst case scenario the issue may cause the awning to open while driving, and therefore could cause a significant safety risk for consumers, we recommend that the awnings of the affected consumers are retrofitted immediately or secured with the securisation kit available until it can be retrofitted, so that they can safely continue their travel. This applies to all vehicles with a 230V motorized awning or a retrofitted tubular motor from the aforementioned production period

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
All technical stuff huh!! :D

We’ve got a surveyor’s ladder onboard so we should be able to sort it ourselves.

I think cable ties would be neater and do a better job.
Not sure how your awning is fitted but there was no obvious gap through which to thread the cable ties

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Thanks for the images, I have to say that’s seriously flawed fix even though it’s temporary.
Tomorrow I’m going to get the ladders out (Telescopic) and check it out,it’s not rocket science from what I can tell the drive shaft is separating from the mounting plate ,therefore,if it’s all connected without movement it’s hardly likely to fall apart.
Report to follow.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Kath, This is the message that I had forwarded to me via Southdowns.

Product Recall: Thule Omnistor awning type TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V Nice tubular motor, and Motor kits 230V for TO 8000 and TO 9200, produced in the time period June 2016 to July 2019

As we are sure you are aware, quality and safety are paramount to all the Thule products that we bring to the market. Despite our best efforts to always develop and manufacture high-quality products, we regret to inform you that we have identified a potential safety issue with our awnings, models Thule Omnistor TO 8000 and TO 9200 with integrated 230V tubular motor, produced in the time period from 01 June 2016 to 31 July 2019.

We have had limited number of reports of incidents where the drive wheel of the Nice 230V tubular motor has separated itself from the motor, causing an inadvertent and uncontrolled opening of the awning.

We have therefore notified the competent market surveillance authorities of the issue.

Now we ask for your help to facilitate the recall process. We need any contact information to all customers who may have received vehicles with the affected motorized awnings or where the awning motor has been retrofitted or repaired in the aforementioned period. We intend to properly inform these consumers, send them instructions and materials to secure their awning, and invite them to have their awning retrofitted for free.

We therefore kindly ask you to provide us immediately with all data of the affected end customers with the delivery and production date of their vehicle or with the date of installation of their motor kit. You may find attached a sample data sheet to input all necessary information required.

As our analysis shows that in a worst case scenario the issue may cause the awning to open while driving, and therefore could cause a significant safety risk for consumers, we recommend that the awnings of the affected consumers are retrofitted immediately or secured with the securisation kit available until it can be retrofitted, so that they can safely continue their travel. This applies to all vehicles with a 230V motorized awning or a retrofitted tubular motor from the aforementioned production period
Thank you for the info x

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You are right Robert.... cable ties won’t feed down at the back. We have another plan involving bungees! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back