Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Since last week no boardband connection in the evening Been on the phone to India a few times to complain, not resolved. An engineer will call next week but will not call in the evening (connection works during the day) So I suspect he/she will find nothing wrong with the connection. Anyone out there had the same problem. Any suggestions
Tried turning router off/on in the evening with no success.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Since last week no boardband connection in the evening Been on the phone to India a few times to complain, not resolved. An engineer will call next week but will not call in the evening (connection works during the day) So I suspect he/she will find nothing wrong with the connection. Anyone out there had the same problem. Any suggestions
Tried turning router off/on in the evening with no success.

have you replaced the DSL micro filter ?

This is one of the most common problems.. I've had three fail in the past six months .. pop out to the supermarket and buy one, only a few quid. and it's the fist thing BT will ask you to do before they will look into it ..

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
if does not account for why the connection is ok during the day It only drops off in the evening Surely if filter is faulty, it will fail all the time or duringt the day also. Thanks for your reply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if does not account for why the connection is ok during the day It only drops off in the evening Surely if filter is faulty, it will fail all the time or duringt the day also. Thanks for your reply

I had an intermittent fault , it was ok in the evening but would drop out in the morning ..

I complained to Virgin who suggested replacing the filter.. I said I had already done so and the fault was intermittent .. but to keep them happy replaced it again.. and it worked .. I can't explain why .. now I keep a known good spare just in case ..

edit.. is your phone still working when the broadband drops out ?

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I had an intermittent fault , it was ok in the evening but would drop out in the morning ..

I complained to Virgin who suggested replacing the filter.. I said I had already done so and the fault was intermittent .. but to keep them happy replaced it again.. and it worked .. I can't explain why .. now I keep a known good spare just in case ..

edit.. is your phone still working when the broadband drops out ?

Thanks,
trip to supermarket Tesco now hope they stock it.
Phone works all the time

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks,
trip to supermarket Tesco now hope they stock it.
Phone works all the time

good plan.. Tesco's are only £2.99 .. that's what I have at present .. however,

maybe not the best so I've ordered a good quality one form ADSL Nation.com.. supposed to give better performance.. we shall see :roflmto: good luck

Link Removed

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Broadband

I agree but if you need a new filter get a good one.

Came back off holliday this year to no broadband, :Sad: had the engineers out several times to check this out.

Unfortunatelly BT do not own or look after the line.
The Chain goes like this :Angry:
Line is with Openreach they do everything to the switch and the Service Provider.
The Service provider talks to Openreach only but he is the hidden link.
BT Broadband buy the sevice form the provider and sell it to you.

Unfortunately the Openreach Engineer only goes to the box on the wall inside your house, he will check up to this from the exchange and will give you the sppeds if you ask.

If this is ok your problem is then with the filter the router and BT Broadband itself.

Keep pressing them and write down all the calls and who you speak to as you have to tell the whole story every time.

Not to put you off but it took me two weeks 30 calls all at minimum 45 mins each.:Eeek:

Now have a uprated line new router filter and a complete change out of software and hardware at the Service Provider.:Smile:

Now a happy camper .......... :Blush:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thats a total load of codswallop, you rent the phone line from BT and it is supposed to provide (1) a phone line and (2) the capability of providing an internet connection.

If you get grief use emails to get some action and sod phoning poxy India.

faults@bt.com

Give them your phone number and details.

Peter

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Thats a total load of codswallop, you rent the phone line from BT and it is supposed to provide (1) a phone line and (2) the capability of providing an internet connection.

faults@bt.com

Peter

He's right kids

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

faults@bt.com

Peter

Correct to a point.. the point being your master box.. after that any kit including the micro filter is the home owners and or the broadband providers responsibility ..

There are other land line providers ..

Kingston – www.kcom.com

NTL – www.ntl.com

Telewest – www.telewest.co.uk

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sample of the many emails and my commenst! Only took three weeks to sort and its still not perfect some of the time.

But emails in all fainess get a response within a couple of hours and they do phone you!

The saga did not end here as in the end the found another fault on the overhead line from the pole in the grass verge to the master box on the house.

It took FOUR separate engineers visits to sort it out. To prove my point the line is rented from BT and internet provider is AOL whose service was not at fault.
-----------------------------------------

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Hi,

Your engineer called today at long last and repaired the fault on the telephone line which was excactly where I have been telling you it was for the past THREE WEEKS.

I still have no stable internet access, keeps dropping and this is now becoming a farce.

I pay you to provide me with a telephone line that gives me a telephone, a fax, AND INTERNET, it is immaterail who my broadband supplier is as without a proper connection it will not work, it has been unstable ever since the phone went dead on the 10th of August and I have no intention of phoning India and sitting on the phone listening to some one I cannot understand speaking from a script.

Would you please sort this out once and for all, you supposed to be the leaders in providing communication, so far you have failed dismally.

P.J.Bartlett

BARTLETT INDUSTRIAL HOLDINGS LTD
To: pjbx@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:40:21 +0100
Subject: A fault I have reported - Cancel or update details of a fault [Incident: 100813-011317]

.ExternalClass td.ecxheader{;}.ExternalClass td.ecxtext{padding-left:4px;padding-right:4px;}.ExternalClass td.ecxlabel{;}.ExternalClass td.ecxdata{;}
.ExternalClass .ecxemailtext{font-family:verdana;font-size:12px;}Link Removed Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

SubjectA fault I have reported - Cancel or update details of a fault Discussion Thread Response (S wilson)28/08/2010 11:40 AMDear Mr Bartlett

Thank you for your e mail and I am sorry that you are having this delay with the phone service being restored

Just to confirm our conversation this morning, I have spoken to a coach who is advising me that the Openreach engineers are working all this bank holiday weekend to get faults cleared.
I have put some notes on your fault to advise to ring the other line in your property or to e mail xxxxx which is your wife's e mail address.

I hope this is of some help and I am sorry for the delay.

Yours sincerely

Sally Wilson
eContact Customer Services
This email contains BT information, which may be privileged or confidential. It's meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you're not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you've received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email address above. Thank you. We monitor our email system, and may record your emails.
British Telecommunications plc

Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ Registered in England no: 1800000 Customer (Peter Bartlett Bartlett Industrial Holdings Ltd)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I complained to Virgin who suggested replacing the filter.. I said I had already done so and the fault was intermittent .. but to keep them happy replaced it again.. and it worked .. I can't explain why .. now I keep a known good spare just in case ..edit.. is your phone still working when the broadband drops out ?
[FONT=&quot]As daft as it sounds Jim I wasn’t aware that we had a customer replaceable filter on the Virgin cable system. I would be interested as I am in the process of tracing a similar fault with my own cable connection. I have Virgin TV Phone and Broadband through the cable that is separated within the cable wall socket. I upgraded it from 10 to 20 meg this week but still a bit up and down. I checked it tonight and only achieved 8meg overall.
[/FONT]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[FONT=&quot]As daft as it sounds Jim I wasn’t aware that we had a customer replaceable filter on the Virgin cable system. I would be interested as I am in the process of tracing a similar fault with my own cable connection. I have Virgin TV Phone and Broadband through the cable that is separated within the cable wall socket. I upgraded it from 10 to 20 meg this week but still a bit up and down. I checked it tonight and only achieved 8meg overall.
[/FONT]

Hi

You don't on cable .. I have Virgin on DSL, BT land line..

I used to have the cable service in Colchester, but now in the sticks of Suffolk, it comes across the fields on poles via wet string :RollEyes:

The galling part is that it's the same cost as cable :Angry:

regarding your fault .. it MAY be a bad connection on the junction box on the outside wall..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi

You don't on cable .. I have Virgin on DSL, BT land line..

I used to have the cable service in Colchester, but now in the sticks of Suffolk, it comes across the fields on poles via wet string :RollEyes:

The galling part is that it's the same cost as cable :Angry:

regarding your fault .. it MAY be a bad connection on the junction box on the outside wall..
Thanks Jim, I have checked connections etc but will give the new package time to settle, they are sending me a new modem and router next week will see how it performs then.
Living in a large town:Cool: we tend to forget about the antiquated setups that you country folk still have to put up with. Wet string and all.:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim, I have checked connections etc but will give the new package time to settle, they are sending me a new modem and router next week will see how it performs then.
Living in a large town:Cool: we tend to forget about the antiquated setups that you country folk still have to put up with. Wet string and all.:Sad:

well, I still have the Virgin cable hardware.. set top box, router and modem.. guess it will be an antique by the time we get cable :RollEyes: if you lived closer you could have it .. but then again , if you did you wouldn't need it :roflmto:

they were supposed to collect when we moved ..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
well, I still have the Virgin cable hardware.. set top box, router and modem.. guess it will be an antique by the time we get cable :RollEyes: if you lived closer you could have it .. but then again , if you did you wouldn't need it :roflmto:they were supposed to collect when we moved ..
[FONT=&quot]Things have really moved on now. This week we upgraded to 3xV+HD boxes with 20meg broadband and phone. Getting to this point has been a nightmare had to learn Indian, Philippine, Bulgarian and many other dialects but we got there in the end. The new boxes are great but cant work out how get a full screen when not receiving HD programs. :cry:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now have to return the 3 old boxes:Doh:
[/FONT]

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
changed filter internet worked fine till 6pm (always did anyway) and as if there was a switch somewhere web connection went off and returned this morning.
Thanks John Cross for the e-mail address
Will have to wait till engineer visit, but how is he/she going to find out the fault. Internet works perfect during the day!!
will post update when this is sorted

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
changed filter internet worked fine till 6pm (always did anyway) and as if there was a switch somewhere web connection went off and returned this morning.
Thanks John Cross for the e-mail address
Will have to wait till engineer visit, but how is he/she going to find out the fault. Internet works perfect during the day!!
will post update when this is sorted

well, it was worth a shot.. hope you get it sorted soon.

It sounds like BT are doing work in the exchange and switching your broadband off inadvertently .. will be interesting to hear the outcome.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ricky

It sounds like BT are doing work in the exchange and switching your broadband off inadvertently .. will be interesting to hear the outcome.

I agree with Jim here, BT do a lot of their upgrading work during the night.

Brisey

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Do you just have one computer? Are you sure the router is going off and that its not the PC?

If it is the broadband going down at a certain time it could be something being switched on nearby if you have old cabling to the exchange. Ours got upgraded in the last 2 years but before that happened one of the farms would switch on an electric fence and ithe ADSL would go off. took ages to suss that one out.

It does sound to be like an external fault though if its ok during the day.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Never mind phoning Mumbai, SKY have a call centre in Scotland, now thats no joke. :ROFLMAO:

When calling India you need to have a conversation about cricket for five minutes or so before you get into the techi problems, it works a treat. :ROFLMAO:
Jim
hardhat

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
update

connections in evening finally seems ok (finger crossed) Took over 3 weeks repeated calls to India, 2 engineer called. None the wiser, checked all internal lines and computers Ok. 2nd engineer said problem can be due to service provider or external interferance, (told BT India 3 weeks ago , but why 2 engineer and 3 weeks later, I will never know) and said that he will advise India to send external line engineer to investigate. Anyway, after he left connection the same evening started working. No external engineer called so how my line suddenly works, I will never find out.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ricky
Glad to hear that it is finally sorted out.:thumb:
In my experience BT will never tell you what was wrong or admit liability.:RollEyes:

Brisey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back