The public say NO to campervan site (aire) ... News Item. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The other side of the aire coin ... .why the general public are not in favour.

Link Removed

Dear Sirs,

We live 30 yards from the green that lies between the Cafe and Curlew Close at Rest Bay. Our front window overlooks this green.

* If you build hard standing for motorhomes here they will not be 'relatively remote' from us.

* They are likely to encourage anti social behaviour as the common is mostly unsupervised. Populating the area could encourage others to use the parking and grass areas, including travellers and gypsies.

* The motorhome squatters that were ejected from the Eastern Prom were sometimes unattractive and noisy, with dogs, music and dilapidated vehicles. This won't attract visitors to Rest Bay and Porthcawl.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
NIMBYs perhaps... but we as motorhomers assume that everyone would welcome and benefit from aires.. when in fact many residents don't agree and can't see the benefit.

but the question you have to ask is why do the residents have this image of motorhomes, what is it they object to ?

quotes from the letters of protest

so even if they use this proposed facility at night (doubtful as they have already shown they do not wish to pay for overnight accommodation)

Why should significant public money be invested into any site in Porthcawl for visitors who bring very little into the community?

While there is a minority that flaunt parking restrictions and have the attitude that they have a right to camp anywhere we won't change this perception .. the irresponsible will spoil it for everyone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would appear, from the web site, that the objections are based on genuine concerns arising from problems in the past.

We also have to recognise that it isn't everyone who sees the "beauty" of motorhomes and that some could see their quality of life diminished by the introduction of such facilities.

Is it not, then, somewhat too simplistic to dismiss the objectors as NIMBYs?

Graham

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
While there is a minority that flaunt parking restrictions and have the attitude that they have a right to camp anywhere we won't change this perception .. the irresponsible will spoil it for everyone.

Careful what you say. That's all I said and I now have a price on my head:RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Careful what you say. That's all I said and I now have a price on my head:RollEyes:

yeah , I noticed.. :roflmto:

This isn't an opinion, it's hard facts , the irresponsible have already spoiled it many places across Europe.
Spain, France, Portugal and Morocco have all clamped down on free camping ... Greece, Turkey, Italy will no doubt follow .

There is nothing wrong with responsible free camping .. stop for a night or two , leave no mess and move on .. it's those who pitch up for days, weeks, and yes months on end that have and continue to spoil it for others.

Year on year camping vans are on the increase and with belts being tightened more and more are trying to save a few bob by camping for free.. This is not the spirit or practice of a true wild camper ..

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I think the photographs used are merely propoganda....the one on top right looks like it was taken at a MH show and clearly the bottom two are from a travellers site.

If these people want to object then they should cut out this exaggeration.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the photographs used are merely propoganda....the one on top right looks like it was taken at a MH show and clearly the bottom two are from a travellers site.

Indeed they are ... but as I said, this is the perception and fear many have, if motorhomers want to be classed differently then they need to ACT differently ...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

How else does propoganda work but by exaggeration. It would be no good showing pictures of well organised clean Aires if you don't want them in your area would it.

How true

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

And in this case it could result in even less parking available for motorhomes. Eastern Promenade is already restricted to no motorhomes overnight, but it would appear whenever I've been down there that this rule is being ignored.

There's a large area of wasteland nearby that, I believe, has finally been sold to a large supermarket and it's possible that the Prom could have all parking slots removed since it's so close. The Rest Bay proposal was a possible replacement and with the joyriding that takes place in the area, I can't see the supermarket leaving their new carpark open all night for wildcampers.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having shared French Aires with wandering crusties (or 'New Age Travellers' as they sometimes prefer to be called) I can go some way to understanding local residents' concerns. The battered old vehicles of questionable safety re gas equipment, wandering packs of unleashed dogs, and anti-social nocturnal behaviour are all realities I've encountered on certain aires in recent years - Biscarrosse-Plage springs readily to mind. If that lot were to turn up at the end of my street I'd be protesting, and I love stopping on Aires.

The Rest Bay local council's hands off attitude is silly - there are simple steps they can take to regulate a motorhome stopover, but they all cost money, which is not likely to be abundant in the next few years. The French use the following during the summer:

1. Time limits on stays, controlled by ticket, monitored by local attendants who patrol at different times of the day but not full-time.
2. Automated barriers with time-limited entry/exit tickets that only accept bank cards, ie to have a bank card you need a permanent address, which is not always the case among wandering crusties. Automated barriers are however a right royal pain in the a**e when they inevitably don't work properly.
3. In the final instance Gendarmerie in big boots who carry guns - maybe not an option at Rest Bay though!

To my mind, employing a part-time attendant or even existing traffic wardens to monitor a time-limited stay at the stopover would make most sense. The worst possible option is they leave it completely unpatrolled, it gets overrun by crusties, and it then becomes a shining example of why not to have any more anywhere else. If it needs a bit of regulation to succeed and encourage others, then go for it. Maybe not free-for-all wild camping in the purest sense but surely a start in the right direction as far as the UK's concerned.

(Sits back and awaits incoming flak..? :winky:)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
2. Automated barriers with time-limited entry/exit tickets that only accept bank cards, ie to have a bank card you need a permanent address, which is not always the case among wandering crusties. Automated barriers are however a right royal pain in the a**e when they inevitably don't work properly.

No Flack. I Fully agree with all of the comments in your post.

However in the case above we are often the cause of problem using this system.

At the Aire a Boulogne Su Mer the Aire was almost empty but the barrier indicator said that it was full.

Motorhome were coming in by obtaining a ticket, but when they were leaving they were tail ending other out, so the computer counted more in than had left. As a result it was not letting any more in.

The others I have used failed safe so you could enter or leave if the system was faulty. This happened to us at Tregastel.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
John & Joan: The empty aire that says it's full problem can also be caused by tickets being issued for 24 hours and not expiring when the holder exits within 24 hours, as we found at La Palmyre this year. It was driving people of all nationalities scatty.

It goes a long way to explaining my deep loathing of automated barriers.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The Rest Bay local council's hands off attitude is silly - there are simple steps they can take to regulate a motorhome stopover, but they all cost money, which is not likely to be abundant in the next few years.

Yes, money and wilpower...and the local council have neither. The kids have been promised a skateboard/cycle park for years and it keeps getting delayed. Various one-off events that were meant to take place have been cancelled due to dilly-dallying and finger-pointing. The big regeneration project has finally resulted in Tesco getting a nice piece of land...even though it has 3 stores in nearby Bridgend...is that regeneration?

The place is stuck in a time-warp...a faded old seaside town that won't/can't change. I mean....it holds the largest Elvis festival in Europe every summer...need I say more? :RollEyes:

In the final instance Gendarmerie in big boots who carry guns - maybe not an option at Rest Bay though!
Might stop the joyriders....but will probably hasten a few of the aging locals to an early grave! :Smile:

I wonder what the massive Trecco Bay static caravan park nearby thinks of a motorhome site?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think that the Trecco Bay owners will have a vested interest in NOT allowing a M/H site at Rest Bay.

Our family used to spend all our summer holidays there when I was a youngster and you generally got the impression that the town was therre purely to service the needs of the caravan site.

It's a shame really..

and of course the photos present a scenario that no one would want - especially motorhomers themselves!

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I am so angry at this :cry: and I have sent the following response to the Email address provided for people to register their protests. I don't know whether it will see the light of day and very much doubt that it will change anyone's mind but felt I had to put our (my) point of view! :-

I must say I am disappointed to read the letters relating to the proposal of a motorhome stopover at Rest Bay. During my childhood our family would spend every available holiday at Porthcawl and, as a result, I have a very soft spot for the area.

I have recently retired and have bought a motorhome in order to enjoy what our beautiful country has to offer. It was not until my wife and I took it across the chanel that we realised just how welcoming they are of motorhomers on the continent and how well they are catered for.

In contrast I am saddened to read how much Porthcawl wishes to turn away tourists wishing to visit the area. The requirements of motohomers are quite different from those provided by a caravan site and are widely misunderstood in this country.

It would seem that any and every excuse to turn away those who like to visit your area can be trotted out. Motorhomes are an expensive capital outlay and, as such, tend not to be within the realms of people who are likely to be causing the types of nuisance quoted by the objectors. One of them is the problems posed for the disabled. My wife, who is registered disabled, might have liked to have enjoyed visiting - did it occur to anyone that there are many disabled who find motorhomes are more convenient than other forms of holiday?

As for the photos showing what an antagonist considers would be the result of a motorhome stopover, I do no know of any motorhomer who would want to stay in such a place. Instead a more informed viewpoint might be to take a look at how beautiful some of the motorhome Aires on the continent can be. How come that they do not have problems with travellers setting up residence on their sites? They do not have the rowdyism, drunkenness, rubbish problems that Porthcawl is being persuaded would result. How come Fylde council are in the process of providing just such a facility and are looking forward to extending it by opening further stopovers in their area once shown to be of benefit?

Yours sadly
Wyn Price

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
* The motorhome squatters that were ejected from the Eastern Prom were sometimes unattractive and noisy, with dogs, music and dilapidated vehicles.

obviously cant differentiate between recreational motorhomers and new age travellers :Angry:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Am I missing something here. The original statement and council debate is over 12 month old

"The Communities Directorate are currently set to present this report to Cabinet on 14th July 2009 at 2.30 pm. Cabinet meetings are open to the public whilst non-confidential matters are discussed."

are you hoping that they delayed decisions.:ROFLMAO:

Don

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Point taken Jim, It was more about the letter from wynne dated yesterday.:ROFLMAO:
But yes, I agree with you it is the image of travellers that reflects on us all sadly.

Don

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ahh you are right - I didn't notice the date. I was just so disappointed at the injustice of it.
Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'd like to think so but I'd be even happier if I thought it might make someone stop and think, not just perpetuate the stereotype.
Wyn

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I'd like to think so but I'd be even happier if I thought it might make someone stop and think, not just perpetuate the stereotype.
Wyn

You may well have even now Wyn.

If more genuine motorhomes wrote to their councils with examples such as Flyde and Carickfurgus, it could change perceptions.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Canterbury Park and Ride already an Aires in New Dover Road and that is always kept so clean and tidy.
I hate the way this article has been presented:cry:

Attachments

• canterbury p&R.jpg
    canterbury p&R.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 19

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
* The motorhome squatters that were ejected from the Eastern Prom were sometimes unattractive and noisy, with dogs, music and dilapidated vehicles.

obviously cant differentiate between recreational motorhomers and new age travellers :Angry:
broad sweeping statement John, whats the differance between a fulltimer and new age traveller, all fulltimers are travelling people here we go again putting people in boxes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
broad sweeping statement John, whats the differance between a fulltimer and new age traveller, all fulltimers are travelling people here we go again putting people in boxes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am awaiting a reply from fft@gypsy-traveller.org I asked the following questions.

What differentiates a person as a "Traveller", to one who travels the roads?

When do you stop being a "Traveler"? How many generations before you cease to be a traveller?
How long do you have to travel before you become a "Traveler"?

I lived full time in caravans for 9 years of my working life. The rest of the time I was brick based. Does that give me some claim to be ethnicly considered as a "Traveler"?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To my mind a full-time motorhome traveller probably drives a vehicle that was originally designed, built and intended to be a mobile dwelling, and which meets certain safety standards regarding its electrical and gas fittings. When they pull up at a stopover they more than likely do so alone, or in a small responsible grouping, and keep any animals they own under control. Whilst they might enjoy imbibing of strong drink outside their van they probably do this in a manner that doesn't disturb their immediate neighbours, and they don't usually accompany it with loud intrusive music. They keep the stopover tidy.

Some (and I'm quite happy to accept that it's not all) New Age Travellers occupy the stopover in a convoy or piecemeal colony driving vehicles that were never originally intended to be mobile dwellings. Their dogs are allowed to run free and uncontrolled, often reverting to a potentially dangerous pack mentality. The dogs also start begging and hassling other travellers for food scraps. Whatever substances the New Age Travellers indulge in (legal or otherwise) are usually imbibed in groups, into the wee small hours, accompanied by loud intrusive music.

When you've been charged down on your early morning walk by a pack of baying uncontrolled Crusty hounds including at least one Rottweiler, and when you've been kept awake all night by the loud boozing and the babble and the music that wasn't emanating from the motorhomes of full-timers, you rapidly learn how to distinguish between the different groups, without any hint of prejudice about your fellow travellers in general ;-)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
when you've been kept awake all night by the loud boozing and the babble and the music that wasn't emanating from the motorhomes of full-timers, you rapidly learn how to distinguish between the different groups, without any hint of prejudice about your fellow travellers in general

That 'll be the Fun group then .. :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back