Now its my Garmin giving probs ! LOL !! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After the fiasco with that useless bloody Tomtom thing ( see notes below ) I thought I would revisit my Nuvi 760 to see if there was something I could do to improve the screen updates

Visited the garmin site and started trolling through .. Unlike Tomtom, Garmin are very customer focused and within a short time I had sussed out what had happened and I THINK ( untested yet ) cured it.

It was then I noticed the big red warning sign !!

The Nuvi 7xx and a few other units have been subject to a recall due to a possible exploding battery problem !! :Doh:

Fortunately Garmin pay for carriage back to them and promise a quick turn around, so all should be sorted out within the next 7 to 10 days max ( spoke to someone this morning who reckoned 5 days is more realistic at the moment )

Sooooooooooooo

If you have a Garmin bought within the last 18 months I would suggest you pop along to the Garmin site and check your model and serial number..

I think an exploding GPS attached to your windscreen may well be quite spectacular but something of a pain in the bum long term ! LOL !!!

Notes re Tomtom

( see thread re warning about the Go 1000 Live and the major issues it has )

( and thank you JJ for helping me out with that one.. greatly appreciated and a pint on me when next we meet !! )

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
:Angry::Angry:I WAS a Garmin customer, and the last thing they were focussed on was me.....:Angry::Angry:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I feel sure I won't find your Tom Tom useless kind sir!

TOM TOM ROOLS !!!

...as do Kipors, Double Skillets and Driverite air assisters...

JJ :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually, I think the tomtom firmware is proly slightly better than the Garmin JJ so do understand what you say.. I was just totally disappointed when I found I could not do with it as I had been promised, and the human part of Tomtom I had the misfortune to deal with just told lies and really did not seem to give a damn once they had my dosh

W D, sorry to hear you had probs with them, I can only speak as a find..

I have been a Garmin nut since the early 90's and currently have 1 x handheld, 1 x motorcycle, 4 x car type units

Only had a problem once in all that time and after a 10 minute fone call Garmin decided to send out a new unit with a returns envelope for the old one..

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
I returned my Garmin under the recall, I was impressed that a 3 year old model was covered.

The down side is they lost mine, the good news is I got a newer better model with the lastest maps. thanks Garmin

Nick

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I still though have my Garmin Quest - one of the best.

Use it in the MH, on the motorbike, on the bicycle, on foot.

Nuvi 300 - pile of merde

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have two Garmins

I have a rather long in the tooth Street Pilot III - fantastic bit of kit and also a hand helf Oregon which is very useful... Found the expense of the down loads and the massive unlock codes a real pain on the Garmin site..But not had a lot of real issues with them.

I do have the Pioneer (the all singing and dancing one...waste of money)

And recently have the Snooper 7000 which I klike and is in use most of the time.

But with luck no exploding batteries yet.

Bob :thumb:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have 2 garmins, garmin rule ko ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I've had a Nuvi 660 for about 3 years (with no probs) but never bought any map updates. Checked out the Garmin site and they do a one-off update for 50 squids or lifetime(?) updates for 75. Is there any reason i shouldn't go with the lifetime one - it seems a no-brainer to me.::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that seems cheap to me

I've had a Nuvi 660 for about 3 years (with no probs) but never bought any map updates. Checked out the Garmin site and they do a one-off update for 50 squids or lifetime(?) updates for 75. Is there any reason i shouldn't go with the lifetime one - it seems a no-brainer to me.::bigsmile:

The Garmin Street pilot III was £120 each year with no options.. did it for about 5 years then stopped as it became silly money and most the roads do not change that much.. if I am on a road that is not on the map, it just yells at me 'off route' soon comes back to the correct place once I have get back to a road it has in the system... These days I do not bother to do a lot of up dates.. yes speed cameras, but maps no... but that does not seem bad.. but how long are you going to keep it?

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The III plus had England as a base map and to work out a route you had to place a way point at every junction !
Could take as long to programe the dear old thing as to ride the route :winky:

After that I too moved on to a Quest.. then another Quest after the first Quest made a bid for freedom at 170+ mph ( Sent the remains back to Garmin who 'repaired' it.. as in replaced it cos there was not too much left of the original... for £65.00 )

Still got a couple of 510's a 550, the Nuvi and also the '72' hand held.. Richard ( as of ex village guitars ) showed me the value of that little beast in Croatia.. because it leaves a crumb trail there is no need to worry about roads when of exploring on bikes ( and somewhere that 2nd Quest !! )

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

I've been thinking the same. The lifetime updates last until they no longer support the model and my fear was that, knowing in my luck, they'd drop support one week after I pay my £75 :Doh:

But I'm getting a bit fed up with my nuvi 255W sending me along roads that are clearly not better than my choice (excuse me sat-nav, do you know what "Unsuitable For Motor Vehicles" means? The grass and crumbling concrete is a clue! Last time I listen to you unless I'm totally lost..:Angry:). So maybe a map update is worth going for.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I have bought the lifetime update for my nuvi, seemed a bargain to me. My garmin streetpilot needs a new dvd to keep up to date which is rather costly

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
OK...I've bought the lifetime upgrade....let's see if it's any better at not getting me lost.

Apologies to all 255W owners if Garmin announce next week that it's no longer being supported :winky:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
pssst-Our Mio Spirit 555 has served us well this last 10weeks in France,as have 2 other Navman's over the past 10yrs ::bigsmile:

But praps one day I'll try one of the 'popular' makes.:ROFLMAO: I suspect they all have their own foibles and are really much of a muchness.

Mike

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mike, how many POI's have you added to your unit ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just wondered Mike.. I was lead to believe the firmware architecture of the Mio's was the same as the later Garmins ( or tother way round :winky: )

When you get to 16,000 screen updates tend to slow up a bit as it is a shred memory thing ( according to those that are supposed to know ::bigsmile: )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update
Unit was collected last Tuesday

just got it back with a free screen protector flimsy, a letter of apology for any inconvenience, and all my data still intact..

Now then tootoot, Tintin, tutu or tintom .. make a note.. THAT is called customer service.. No lies, no bull plop.. just a job well done and a note to say sorry for any inconvenience ..
RatRat would proly have lost the unit by now, be scrabbling around to prove they never had it in the first place, and be thinking up all manner of very plausible reasons for me never seeing the thing again ! ( that is if they ever admitted there was a problem in the first place ! )

Been with Garmin a long time and am still in general a happy bumpkin ! ( Had to use a Navman for a few days and enjoyed that too.. No fuss, easy to use, good clear instructions )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back