Standing rainwater on top of motorhome (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Should I be worried that I have rainwater on top of motorhome 'stuck' behind rear of front cab sleeping area? problem is I have the motorhome parked on a downhill gradient with the cab more downhill than rear of vehicle which is probably causing accumulation of water.

If it is an issue then I could park the other way, its just that I would have to reverse out of a really tight spot which would need someone at the back end to guide me out. This would be inconvinient, however looking after motorhome is obviously more important.

Any thoughts please:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always put some levelling ramps under 1 side to tip the water off the other:thumb::thumb:

andy

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is the same. No problems so far except I get green mould which is a bugger to get off from under my solar panels. :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
you could always put some levelling ramps under 1 side to tip the water off the other:thumb::thumb:

andy

Hmm, I have them on the front wheels currently which reduces the angle, making motorhome more level. Do you mean putting ramps under back wheels increasing angle. Wonder if I could get motorhome to do handstand!!:Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Mine is the same. No problems so far except I get green mould which is a bugger to get off from under my solar panels. :whatthe:

Thanks for this, I do have some green mold, thought I brought it back from lake district with me...thought I might get charged with stealing it...:cry:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you have them under the front take one side out and just sit it on one that way the van will be on a slight lean so the water should run off the side:thumb:

andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
providing the overcab to roof seal and any roof vent seals are in good shape it wont be a problem

Ive had no problems internally at all. I suppose as long as I give it a clean frequently and checkovercab roof seal, its ok to leave as is..but if not using for long periods perhaps turn vehicle around. :whatthe:Hang on what am I saying!! It wont be left for long periods without being used!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
if you have them under the front take one side out and just sit it on one that way the van will be on a slight lean so the water should run off the side:thumb:

andy

Ahh good idea, never thought of that!!

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have the same problem. If I put chocks under one side I get black streaks down the other side where the water runs off. If I don't put any chocks under I get wet through when I get in as my weight causes my side of the van to dip tipping the water all over me. Can't win.:cry:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

andy

andy

first suggestion is better...ramps under front and rear on one side only...will avoid any undue strain on the higher wheel/suspension and any possible body twist.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'd just park it the other way round. Why wait for it to become a problem when it can so easily be avoided? Chocks/levelling ramps under one side is another option, just depends which is easier to do really.

D.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It might be worth noting that if anyone's looking in who bought (or is planning to buy) a second hand pre-2006 CI Carioca 656 (ie the ones that don't have the sleek, rounded futuristic looking Fiat cab) you may get a problem with standing water on the roof

Mine was bought new in 2005 and has had two trips back to the repair shop under warranty to sort out an ingress of water problem caused by a recognised design fault in the roof seal. It was the subject of a product recall by CI. Basically some twerp designed it so the join of the roof seal sat in a puddle of rainwater, and didn't have long enough screws to keep the seal tight. The first time this fault materialised was during a routine hab check at the dealer's. The second time I discovered the problem by coincidence when I was replacing the standard fluorescent light fittings with LED ones.

If you remove the light fightings and have a quick poke around in the roof space and feel any form of wet in there that's not a good thing.

I'd advise that if you're planning to buy the above model of van, find out if that design fault was properly dealt with by its original owners.

Something else to look out for on this particular model (and maybe on other vans) - excess rain water can often drain straight down the side wall onto the fridge vents and create damp problems inside the wall around the vents. As mine has a Fiamma awning attached, a simple solution was to fit a seal between the awning casing and the side wall so water drained off the ends of the awning.

I'm beginning to sound like a complete vanorak now, so I'll stop, but I thought it worth a mention.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back