All the French Aires (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
On a recent 6 week trip around France I used the aires book "All the French aires" and I found that The book was not very much use as it is grossly out of date.

I estimate the out of all the aires I visited 1/3 where no longer open, 1/3 were changed in some way IE, no longer free but making a charge and the last 1/3 was as reported.

All of the site in the book have reports as to when they were last inspected but I found many of the "Last inspected" dates to be untrue as the changes had taken place before the date the book gives.

There is supposed to be and update coming out next year but I wont be buying one.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You can't beat the French aires book publications .. and CampingcarInfos is the best on line site .. you can now buy the USB stick pre loaded for 16.50 Euro .. or download for 8 Euro.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
are you going to do a mini blog or write up of your trip? (sorry if you have and I've missed it).We did notice this year more Aires charging and prices going up. Coastal areas not worth bothering( If saving pennies is important) most charging just a few euro less than the cheaper sites. Presumably the French are being hit with less spare cash the same as us. Love it though already booked two crossings for next year :thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
You can't beat the French aires book publications .. and CampingcarInfos is the best on line site .. you can now buy the USB stick pre loaded for 16.50 Euro .. or download for 8 Euro.

Link Removed

OK, but is it not in French Jim?

Doug...

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We use the French books - although in French they are quite easy to use.

As for "All the aires in France" - well it should be re-named " A few of the aires in France" !:roflmto:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I contacted Vicarous books before our last long France trip and offered to insepect and report on aires new and existing. I didnt like their attitude. I think they expected me to do it for nothing. Their loss, thanks to Camping Infos we found loads and loads of new aires which I could have added to the guide.

Dont forget you can set google toolbar or yahoo toolbar to translate the french site camping infos although its been a bit flaky lately (well mine has)

What we need is a british verson really. I know its laborious but before a trip I go on CCI and save as PDF files all the likely Aires Im going to visit in all the regions. That way I have a library of Aires in English thats up to date and I can use off line.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We bought both the English and French books from Vicarious earlier this year. May to July we toured Normandy and Brittany and found all the aires we needed.

Yes some had changed, some were much larger. The fees in the book we considered as a guide not as a definite.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
been saying it since it came out,.

Positives--- Some great aires if your lucky and hit one...

Negatives---- loads and loads and loads of aires missing, poor reports on loads, not all co-ordinates correct,

Major Negative--- I contact vicarious following a French visit when we used the first edition book. Offered 4/5 aires with Photos, and write up, that were not in the book, only to make things easier for our fellow motorhomers, what did I get? a free copy? no, an acknowledgement? no,, not a dicky, not even a than-you, despite some email prompts. Still got the book though but prefer campingcar infos.

Big Positive---
A fantastic concept and a great idea, just needed to be refined more, done more for the motorhomer and not for profit, so we could all chip in a bit.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
waste of time

There is supposed to be and update coming out next year but I wont be buying one.

Doug...

Same goes for me.. had my money once and that is it.. the book is a waste of space.. bit like the LPG book out of date by ages, another waste of money.

Bob:Angry:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The chap who started this thread is trying to start a mobile version.

Link Removed

My last post on there suggested it would be a lot easier if we all got involved. Anyone got the time to create a British Database of all the aires? We would have a lot of catching up to do. CCI also covers other countries not just France! There are a lot of members here though.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
The chap who started this thread is trying to start a mobile version.

Link Removed

My last post on there suggested it would be a lot easier if we all got involved. Anyone got the time to create a British Database of all the aires? We would have a lot of catching up to do. CCI also covers other countries not just France! There are a lot of members here though.

Sorry barryd, I started the thread but I am NOT starting a mobile version

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back