Fueled up for first time today (2 Viewers)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Filled the Hymer with diesel for the first time today ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

What a big surprise, gauge just under half £52.00 to fill.

The RV cost £150.00 for the same just under half so today was a real bonus:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Rory
And you will get more miles per tank ? ? ? ?:thumb:
Nigel
We REALLY have to meet up-------if we can catch ya ! ! ! :ROFLMAO:

Hi Guys

Hope so we've got some serious miles planned::bigsmile:

Yeah we must are you back in the Uk yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Rory,

Is that my old Hymer?

They are a great tramper hope you have many miles of trouble free touring.

One thing to have checked with them Rory, get the tag axles greased, one tube for each side of each axle. You have to have the axles hanging free when you do it or the grease will not flow through the torsion bar.

The other thing I found with mine was, under the wardrobe floor is the heater and boiler. The boiler has an automatic dump for the hot water, its very sensitive and will dump at the slightest hint of 10 degrees I had to use a wooden clothes peg to stop it.

Patrick & Jan:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi Rory
We left Texas last Thursday, arrived back to drizzle and cold----no suprise there then ! ! ---
We have collected our 5er from storage, and cleaned off the black streaks ! ! At the moment we are in Brandon ------It's really great to be home in our 5er.
We will be at the Norfolk meet.
we did read that you are planntng a 2 wheel trip !!!! How are the plans going, when do you expect to go ? ?
Pamala & Nigel

teccer1234

Free Member
Oct 25, 2010
Funster No
Filled the Hymer with diesel for the first time today ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

What a big surprise, gauge just under half £52.00 to fill.

The RV cost £150.00 for the same just under half so today was a real bonus:thumb::thumb:

Hi my first time on this forum, had a chat with one of your fellows at Stratford show this year, (I was taking the aerial photos for the organisers) parked near your vans,

I've got a hymer 694 like yours but fitted with a long range tank (140lts) and as I'm off down through France tomorow if I fill up at Folkstone I can get right into Spain before I need to fill up again, to H*** with the french strikers!!

one question though that somebody might be able to answer, as you know my van is a phgv registered camper and somebody has just told me that my Max speed is 56 mph, here and in the eu is this so?
tec

teccer1234

Free Member
Oct 25, 2010
Funster No
as a PS, if you were at Stratford show this year see if you can spot your van from the air

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRdw3-Npu-Y[/ame]

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
hi Rory
We left Texas last Thursday, arrived back to drizzle and cold----no suprise there then ! ! ---
We have collected our 5er from storage, and cleaned off the black streaks ! ! At the moment we are in Brandon ------It's really great to be home in our 5er.
We will be at the Norfolk meet.
we did read that you are planntng a 2 wheel trip !!!! How are the plans going, when do you expect to go ? ?
Pamala & Nigel

Hi Guys
Glad you're home safe.
Yeah its London to Beijing via Iran, Tibet & Everest Base Camp by motorcycle.
Training is going well completed the first phases so far. Hardest part will be getting the Visa's sorted in January. We leave Uk end of April & the trip will take 3 months approx 16000 miles and approx 7000 off road.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i wish you'd put a different header to this thread.....i mis-read it every time.

"Fu**ed up for the first time today" :Doh::roflmto:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Teccer1234 said:
one question though that somebody might be able to answer, as you know my van is a phgv registered camper and somebody has just told me that my Max speed is 56 mph, here and in the eu is this so?
No Teccer, it is not so. The maximum speed that you were advised about, ie, 56mph (90kph) is applicable to HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, and on Motorways/Autoroutes.
Like Rita & I, Rory & Jan, Patrick & Jan, and others too, you are over 3.5 tonnes, and are registered as a PHGV, and as such, your speed restrictions are 50mph (80kph) on a single carriageway, 60mph (100kph) on a dual carriageway, and 70mph (110kph) on a motorway, unless towing a trailer, whereupon your speed will be restricted to 60mph (100kph), and prohibited from using the outside lane of a three or four lane Motorway/Autoroute.
The speed limits abroad tend to be roughly the same, unless there is inclement weather, whereupon the speed limits are reduced.

Patrick & Jan said:
One thing to have checked with them Rory, get the tag axles greased, one tube for each side of each axle. You have to have the axles hanging free when you do it or the grease will not flow through the torsion bar.
Hi Patrick,

Although the axles need greasing annually, it is about 5/6 pumps of the grease gun per nipple to assure sufficient lubrication. Any more than that, and the grease just gets forced past the seals, filling up the empty torsion tube. .

Rory & Jan, glad that you had a successful weekend out in your new "coach."
Is the pump still working, and did you remember to open the taps, and the rear pipe valves when draining down, (12v isolated first)?
A great weekend. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No Teccer, it is not so. The maximum speed that you were advised about, ie, 56mph (90kph) is applicable to HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, and on Motorways/Autoroutes.
Like Rita & I, Rory & Jan, Patrick & Jan, and others too, you are over 3.5 tonnes, and are registered as a PHGV, and as such, your speed restrictions are 50mph (80kph) on a single carriageway, 60mph (100kph) on a dual carriageway, and 70mph (110kph) on a motorway, unless towing a trailer, whereupon your speed will be restricted to 60mph (100kph), and prohibited from using the outside lane of a three or four lane Motorway/Autoroute.
The speed limits abroad tend to be roughly the same, unless there is inclement weather, whereupon the speed limits are reduced.

Hi Patrick,

Although the axles need greasing annually, it is about 5/6 pumps of the grease gun per nipple to assure sufficient lubrication. Any more than that, and the grease just gets forced past the seals, filling up the empty torsion tube. .

Rory & Jan, glad that you had a successful weekend out in your new "coach."
Is the pump still working, and did you remember to open the taps, and the rear pipe valves when draining down, (12v isolated first)?
A great weekend. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Jock & Rita
Great weekend and the best breakfast yesterday I've had for years:thumb:
Pump still working and I've found a spare at about £32.00.
Drained everything last night so no probs.
Fuel gauge went ballistic on the way home fluctuating between 3/4 & empty:Angry:
See you soon
Rory & Jan

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Fuel gauge went ballistic on the way home fluctuating between 3/4 & empty:Angry:
See you soon
Rory & Jan
A common Fiat problem with that model. I had some help from folks on here for mine, ie, Hilldweller, Pappajohn, and others too.

Between the front seats, under the rubber mat, there is a metal plate covering the fuel tank sender unit. Remove that, disconnect the multi plug, spray with electrical lubricant and reconnect. If that doesn't work, (it does for some, but didn't for me), disconnect speedo cable from gear box, and gently remove the instrument panel from the binnacle. You can then gain access to the rear to disconnect and reconnect the multiplug that relates to the fuel gauge.

Initially, my fuel gauge responded to tapping of the fuse box area in the glove compartment, causing me to suspect either a loose connection, fuse, or relay underneath the dashboard, so I removed all the fuses and relays one by one, and refitted them, after tapping each relay.
Not sure which, but one of the latter two actions above cured my fuel gauge problem. :thumb:

Incidentally, when on the Luxembourg Autoroute approaching Capellan services, (when the authorities suddenly closed off the road), the gauge was in the red. :Eeek: I had refuelled at Dover and calculated MPG before leaving Dunkerque, so new that there should be some fuel left. When we eventually found a filling station on the outskirts of the city, the tank took 64 litres, meaning that there was 16 litres already in the tank when showing red. Phew, that was scary :winky:

Good luck with the quirky problems. (The temperature sender unit also springs to mind here. :winky:)

Cheers,

Jock.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Guys
Glad you're home safe.
Yeah its London to Beijing via Iran, Tibet & Everest Base Camp by motorcycle.
Training is going well completed the first phases so far. Hardest part will be getting the Visa's sorted in January. We leave Uk end of April & the trip will take 3 months approx 16000 miles and approx 7000 off road.

Hi Rory, thats some motorcycle trip, is it an organised one if so who are you going with, will they be taking some of your luggage and are you travelling two up. Thats a lot of miles, more so the 7000 off road, ouch.

It sounds amazing though have fun and stay safe.

Pat

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Rory, thats some motorcycle trip, is it an organised one if so who are you going with, will they be taking some of your luggage and are you travelling two up. Thats a lot of miles, more so the 7000 off road, ouch.

It sounds amazing though have fun and stay safe.

Pat

Hi Pat
Yeah it is an amazing trip in fact more people have been to the moon than done this trip. Its only ever been done once before by Kevin & Julia Sanders who I'm going with this time.
There will be a support vehicle with spares and medical equipment but I have to carry all my own kit for the whole trip, got my cloths down to 6kgs::bigsmile: not including bike gear.
Doing the first two thirds on my own as its far too extreme for Jan but she's flying out to Cheng Du in Southern China to meet us and will complete the last 3 weeks through China up to Beijing as pillion with me.

Just sold my beloved FJR 1300 which I'd owned from new since 2000 for a 05 1200GS which I've been slowly tricking up for the trip, costing a fortune:cry: Tried the Adventure but it was far too big and top heavy for me especially with all the off road we'll be doing. I was a off road racer for 14 years so looking forward to that element and recently spent 3 days training with Simon Pavey (Paris Dakar fame) and was surprised how quickly it all came back. Still have to complete a first aid course and spend 2 days on road training with the police which I did a few years ago when I worked as a part time instructor. Also about to start work on a fitness programme which will hopefully help me cope with the alltitude which is a real health risk as we'll be above 13000ft for 3 weeks and living very rough and eventually up to 16500ft.

Its something I've always wanted to do, go to Everest base camp, and combined with the motorcycle overland trip is a massive personal challenge which I feel I need to do before I'm too old.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Rory,

Fabulous! We have met kevin and Julia Saunders, been to a few of their talks, even contemplated the pan american one. We also think Simon Pavey is the man, he has great credentials with the dakars behind him.
I have always wanted Neil to go on one of his off road course in Wales.

However it was too expensive, specially two up, and it was a bit full on and we want to take our time. I think its a good idea that Jan is following on and you can then enjoy China together.

Our plans are to do it in an overland truck now with a motorcycle on the back.

Our hat goes off to you because we know how hard it gonna be, but you only have one life and it best to do it now rather than later.

Let us know how you get on.

Pat and Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back