The difinitive internet connection guide for France? (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi folks

Before anyone shoots me down - yes I know I can search the forum for ways to connect to the internet. And here is a ton of info. But:
1. It's all over in bit's 'n pieces
2. It's probably outdated by now
3. I need to know how my options stack against my Alden Netmaster 90

So ... is there a thread or site with the definitive connection guide?

The crazy thing is, we have an Alden Netmaster 90. However, recently we've found the speeds to be very low. In the evening pretty much unusable. It's because we've exceeded our threshold and been "shaped" (a nice word that means "throttled"). We travel a few teens and use up our 80MB per day in no time at all. So Alden (IpCopter) is ok for essential emergency stuff, emails, some Skype and basic web browsing but not much more.

We need something a bit better. Something that we can do some real facebooking, maybe a bit of Youtube. We've given up on a slingbox or any form of IP TV.

So maybe some specific questions:
1. Is 3G an option - and does anyone know of some good deals?
2. Even if I find some good deals, what is the coverage like?
3. What about places like MacD's, are they really free and "unlimited"?
4. What about other spots?
5. Does it really help to get a "long-range" wireless device and if so which one?

Rog

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Boy am I looking forward to the reply to this! I'd like to hear all the queries sorted as I have the same problems
Wyn

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wow, this has been viewed over 130 times but so far nobody has any info to contribute!

Internet access must be a real challenge in Europe. It seems to me that we're in good shape here in the UK.

Rog

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wow, this has been viewed over 130 times but so far nobody has any info to contribute!

Internet access must be a real challenge in Europe. It seems to me that we're in good shape here in the UK.

Rog

Hi Rog
I never answered as I have no up to date info on providers, data costs or coverage .. when we were in France roaming data costs were prohibitive.. things may have changed. Buying a French sim required a French address ..

3. MacDs are free .. no limit
4. Libraries, Autoroute service areas, cafe's etc
5. I use a Hawking Hi Gain dish , extends the Wifi range by about 300% bought from Maplin , about £50

Personally, I would forget a 3G dongle .. there are more than enough wifi .. unless you require 24/7 for business use.

edit
Googling may find one cheaper ...
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hawking-Hi-Gain-Wireless-G-Standard-HWU8DD/dp/B000DINCIQ"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hawking-Hi-Gain-Wireless-G-Standard-HWU8DD/dp/B000DINCIQ[/ame]

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Rog

("It seems to me that we're in good shape here in the UK.")

YES YOU ARE:ROFLMAO:

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi folks

Before anyone shoots me down - yes I know I can search the forum for ways to connect to the internet. And here is a ton of info. But:
1. It's all over in bit's 'n pieces
2. It's probably outdated by now
3. I need to know how my options stack against my Alden Netmaster 90

So ... is there a thread or site with the definitive connection guide?

The crazy thing is, we have an Alden Netmaster 90. However, recently we've found the speeds to be very low. In the evening pretty much unusable. It's because we've exceeded our threshold and been "shaped" (a nice word that means "throttled"). We travel a few teens and use up our 80MB per day in no time at all. So Alden (IpCopter) is ok for essential emergency stuff, emails, some Skype and basic web browsing but not much more.

We need something a bit better. Something that we can do some real facebooking, maybe a bit of Youtube. We've given up on a slingbox or any form of IP TV.

So maybe some specific questions:
1. Is 3G an option - and does anyone know of some good deals?
2. Even if I find some good deals, what is the coverage like?
3. What about places like MacD's, are they really free and "unlimited"?
4. What about other spots?
5. Does it really help to get a "long-range" wireless device and if so which one?

Rog

(" What about places like MacD's, are they really free and "unlimited"?")

I have found No Problem using them...on skype with video:thumb:

they also say LeClerc supermarket....out side or inside in the cafe

("Does it really help to get a "long-range" wireless device and if so which one?") :winky: Mmmmm ....yes it would

157 and some responce

Mel

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OK, so if I can sum it up in one go:

1. Satellite internet:
a. The good bits
i. "Mobile Office" Work (limited traffic) and essential stuff
ii. Allows us to connect anywhere
iii. Very basic web browsing for a very small number of people
iv. Reasonable ongoing costs (about £5 per day)
v. VPN seems to work OK
vi. Skype seems to work well (i.e. making calls)
b. The drawbacks
i. Initial setup is around 4k
ii. Low bandwidth
iii. Small data allowance
iv. In reality, unless you have ehu, you need more than one battery and/or a generator – adds to the cost (and yes, if you use computers you need this anyway – but the satellite kit does use some power especially if you have a wireless router)
2. 3G – various facts in random order:
a. Reasonably cheap to get up and running
b. Using UK kit with roaming is very expensive and/or low data allowance – emergencies only!
c. To get a French deal you need an address in France
d. Some French deals (probably the good ones) may require, in addition to the French address, a French bank account
e. PAYG in France seems, from everything I have read, isn't that feasible
f. There may be places you want to go to that don’t have decent 3G coverage (I’m guessing this is the case – correct me if I’m wrong)
g. If you don’t use your dongle for an extended period it becomes invalid (depends on provider)
3. WIFI
a. The kit is either totally free (comes built in on most computers) or very inexpensive for excellent quality. Purchasing a very good system (e.g. USB) costs considerably less than £100, probably around £60
b. Wifi sites – Officially free
i. Places such as MacD's, Libraries, LeClerc etc are great but you need to go there
(i.e. no good for surfing when you're camped up). This may require you to “plan” your trip for your daily “fix” of “e-Funstering”.
ii. Some camping sites have free internet – sounds like they're few and far between
c. Wifi sites – Unofficially free
i. Fairly contentious in motorhoming circles (please don’t hijack this thread with a moral debate)
ii. It’s possible, in some countries, to run foul of the law
iii. Available here and there (trial and error) – i.e. park up and test
iv. Decreasing number of unsecured sites
v. Built-in wireless device may not be good enough, may need to get external wifi device
d. Wifi sites – paid
i. Seems to be fairly expensive for the data allowance you get
ii. Some camping sites have paid internet – allowing you to surf and e-Funster in the evening
iii. Often need to go there (i.e. no good for surfing when you're camped up)
So funsters, let’s start a comprehensive document that we can build on (to stop thickies like me asking the same questions over and over again). How is this so far?

Rog

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
My input is:

Have a look at www.quickspot.fr they have a good range of hot spots, and seem to be supplying most of the sites in our area, (just now) Normandy.

We are paying E10.00/week for unlimited access, with good speed and quality.

Could be worth a look.

N
Nomadic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
PAYG in France seems, from everything I have read, isn't that feasible
yes this could be a way but not the best, not cheap for so little Mb YES I did say mbs not GB

(c. To get a French deal you need an address in France(Mmmmm not quite true)
d. Some French deals (probably the good ones) may require, in addition to the French address, a French bank account)
Now this couple we met from Wales..they called at Cite Europe in Calais and called at the SFR shop got a PAYG deal .....without a French address....

Now we have a 12 months contract with orange in France this cost us 15 euros per month with a cost of 1 euro at the start for a dongle.....for the 15 euros we get 200mb per month with a extra 200mb to use at the weekends and holidays in France...Mmmmm not good I hear you say, but there is nowt better about over here:Eeek::cry::Doh:...so use the French dongle when camping and call at McDs and others when you can to up and download

we have found most of the places we have been we been able to get "3G" but there has been a lot of places we could only get "E"....and that is sloooooooow:shout:

Mel :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My T mobile PAYG dongle charges £10 a day for roaming (as opposed to £15 a month in UK)

This is useful for the occasional European trip when there is no WiFi and there is no capital cost to set it up. You only need to pay when you use it, so as there are months when we don't go anywhere this is pretty cheap.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back