Linking cab battery to leisure battery/panel when laid up? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Simple query (I hope):

I have a 85W monocrystalline solar panel on the roof, linked via charge controller to a 110Ah Elecsol carbon fibre leisure battery. It all works fine, and when laid up over winter the leisure battery remains fully charged.

However, the standard Fiat Ducato cab battery, which has three of those £10 solar trickle chargers connected to it in parallel (when laid up) routinely goes flat in winter.

I don't particularly want to fork out for another solar panel and charge controller.

It seems to me that it would make sense to link the leisure battery to the cab battery in parallel via some domestic-type electrical cable when the van is parked at its outdoor storage site. That way, the charge-controlled solar panel tops up both batteries.

Is this a sensible thing to attempt? And if so, what rating of cable should I use to remain safe? 10 Amps maybe?

Any advice/tips most welcome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no reason why not but do fit a 10a fuse in both ends of the link wire.

one drawback would be both batteries will be flattened if the panel gets covered in snow etc or a lack of sun for weeks on end.

you still only have the output from one panel charging twice the battery storage though so will take twice as long to charge to the same state as one battery

with the lowish amps from the panel a 2.5sqmm flex should do the job.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sugesting that this is the correct way to do it but,is it possible to run a wire from the outlet on the charge controler,you know the one with the picture of a bulb on it,direct to the engine battery?.
I believe that this outlet is used as a dump when the leisure batteries are full,so any surplus charge would go to the engine battery.
Hope this makes sense cos I would like to do it myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Am not sugesting that this is the correct way to do it but,is it possible to run a wire from the outlet on the charge controler,you know the one with the picture of a bulb on it,direct to the engine battery?.
I believe that this outlet is used as a dump when the leisure batteries are full,so any surplus charge would go to the engine battery.
Hope this makes sense cos I would like to do it myself.

i think thats limited to a very low ampage...probably much less than 1 amp.
could be wrong but thats my understanding.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i think thats limited to a very low ampage...probably much less than 1 amp.
could be wrong but thats my understanding.
I know of people that charge there mobile phones from this outlet,and would it realy matter if it was a low amp as long as it trickle fed the engine battery.Do you think any harm would come to anything John,I dont want to do any damage.
Have asked this question a few times but nobody seems to know for sure what that conection is for.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
BRIDGING FUSE.
Loss of battery charge due to the alarm system, vehicle clock, on board computer etc is normal over a period of time. Batteries also have an internal amount of self discharge and this gets worse with age.
Both the vehicle and the leisure batteries have their negative pole connected to the vehicle chassis. Without this the vehicle alternator could not charge both, the leisure battery of course via the split charging relay.
My simple method is to fit a pair of blade type fuse holders in a position that can be see every time the vehicle is entered via the driver’s door, in the foot well. One fuse holder has no wires attached, its is purely a park position for the fuse. The other fuse holder is connected one side to the positive terminal of the starter and the other side to the positive terminal of the leisure battery. This holder is clearly marked with white paint.
When the vehicle is laid up during the winter fit the 10 amp fuse in the wired fuse holder. This enables either the solar panel (if you have one) or the on-board stabilised charger unit to top up both batteries. During the summer and all other times the fuse is moved to the un-wired “park” position.
Should one forget to move the fuse to the “park” position and start the engine, the fuse will blow. So carry a few spares!

Don’t forget, the bridging fuse is intended to be used as a bridge ONLY during winter lay-up so that the solar panel or when you connect your van to the mains hookup once or twice a month you can fit the bridge and top up both batteries. Otherwise place the fuse in the unconnected PARK position.

Came across this , may or maynot fit the bill

BRIDGI1.gif

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
pappajohn, 1948, ScotJimLand: Thanks for the pointers there, most helpful.

Snowbird: I've got a small solar panel on a garden shed at home wired via a charge controller to an old car battery which I use for recharging small domestic gadgets like laptops, mobile phones etc. I've tried using that spare connection on the charge controller to recharge a Halfords 20Ah Powerpack without much success, and although the correct voltage is present I'm not sure (as pappajohn says) if sufficient ampage is there.

On some charge controllers that connection has a light bulb symbol on it, so I suspect it may be for low amp applications only. It works OK charging AA batteries and the like but that's probably the limit.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
on my charge controller the lightbulb is the connection for the load, this gets disconnected in event of low volts on the battery to prevent battery damage. any connection between the two lots of batteries should include a diode to protect and isolate each battery bank.
Try fitting this one
Link Removed
make sure you connect the right way round.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
on my charge controller the lightbulb is the connection for the load, this gets disconnected in event of low volts on the battery to prevent battery damage. any connection between the two lots of batteries should include a diode to protect and isolate each battery bank.
Try fitting this one
Link Removed
I always thought it was for the load,but the hole is not big enough to put the wires in to my load,so thats why I thought you could charge the engine battery from it.I have 2 contacts for solar panels plus 2 contacts for batteries plus the one with the bulb on it.Surely if it will power a bulb it will charge a second battery.I was told the contacts on the bulb only have power to them when the leisure batteries are full.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I always thought it was for the load,but the hole is not big enough to put the wires in to my load,so thats why I thought you could charge the engine battery from it.I have 2 contacts for solar panels plus 2 contacts for batteries plus the one with the bulb on it.Surely if it will power a bulb it will charge a second battery.I was told the contacts on the bulb only have power to them when the leisure batteries are full.
I suspect the voltage will not be high enough to charge, but easy to check, will have to be well in excess of 13v

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Try fitting this one
Link Removed

Thanks for that pointer Wildman - at the risk of seeming a) a bit thick and b) overcautious regarding electricity, that set up would work just as well with the leisure battery as the main source and the cab battery as the secondary battery yes? No problem with the engine being off while it's laid up?

What I'm driving at here is at absolute best the solar panel would be putting 7 amps into the batteries, and probably a lot less in winter, given that the panel is flat and not angled. Is that kit rigged for a certain minimum charging ampage?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Link Removed

appears to be a bog standard split charge switching relay to me but being voltage sensed rather than current sensed....still needs the engine running to switch over.

unless you mean wiring it 'back to front' so the charger voltage triggers the relay and feeds the chassis battery from the hab battery ?

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
BRIDGING FUSE.
Loss of battery charge due to the alarm system, vehicle clock, on board computer etc is normal over a period of time. Batteries also have an internal amount of self discharge and this gets worse with age.
Both the vehicle and the leisure batteries have their negative pole connected to the vehicle chassis. Without this the vehicle alternator could not charge both, the leisure battery of course via the split charging relay.
My simple method is to fit a pair of blade type fuse holders in a position that can be see every time the vehicle is entered via the driver’s door, in the foot well. One fuse holder has no wires attached, its is purely a park position for the fuse. The other fuse holder is connected one side to the positive terminal of the starter and the other side to the positive terminal of the leisure battery. This holder is clearly marked with white paint.
When the vehicle is laid up during the winter fit the 10 amp fuse in the wired fuse holder. This enables either the solar panel (if you have one) or the on-board stabilised charger unit to top up both batteries. During the summer and all other times the fuse is moved to the un-wired “park” position.
Should one forget to move the fuse to the “park” position and start the engine, the fuse will blow. So carry a few spares!

Don’t forget, the bridging fuse is intended to be used as a bridge ONLY during winter lay-up so that the solar panel or when you connect your van to the mains hookup once or twice a month you can fit the bridge and top up both batteries. Otherwise place the fuse in the unconnected PARK position.

Came across this , may or maynot fit the bill

BRIDGI1.gif
If you 'aqquired' this from the same bloke as myself - folk can take it for granted he knows his stuff! Im about to fit this myself, having had the info for long enough. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you 'aqquired' this from the same bloke as myself - folk can take it for granted he knows his stuff! Im about to fit this myself, having had the info for long enough. :Doh:

this is a cheap way of doing it, one I wouldn't recommend. if you go this way ensure you fuse the linking cable at BOTH ends .. also, if the panel stops charging there is a risk of flattening BOTH batteries

I gave the correct solution in my first post ..

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
ScotJimLand: Thanks for your earlier recommendation re the split charge relay and fusing arrangement. I rigged up a cab battery topping up circuit as advised and it's been a complete success.

Before I installed it, during the first of this winter's cold spells, I found the cab battery was as dead as Disco. I managed to jump start it and drive the van around a bit to top it up.

I installed the circuit in time for the second cold spell, and on my return to the van recently the cab battery was showing all four lights on the monitor panel (it hardly ever does that at rest) and it started first time.

The relay I used was a Smartcom unit (£12 on eBay), mounted in a small electronic project box for protection.

Excellent advice there sir.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Breaker

Instead of fitting a fuse I fitted a 16 amp circuit breaker which trips if I forget to turn it off. Saves the hassle of looking for a fuse each time. This is relatively easy with this Hymer since both batteries are in the same compartment.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep mine on the drive and can keep the hook up connected during the cold weather.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
battery to battery

magicsurfbus I have 85+130 giving 215watts these are fitted on tilt hinges and the feed 6* 85 amp batteries.A ten amp cable connects the liesure batteries to the drive battery through a 12 volt relay when we originaly fitted it we installed an on\off switch in the glove dropdown but on 2 occasions I forgot to switch it on and flattened drive battery so now it stops on all the time.System now been in use 6 years no problems allows for radio,alarm system,navigator and 12 volt inverter for the lap top, due to the fact that as fast as i use the power from the drive battery it is pulling the power fron liesure batteries which in turn allows the solar\genny to top everything back up.Hope it helps.Stay Safe:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back