Hello from Simon (1 Viewer)

shutt

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
Hello
My name is Simon from the Staffordshire/Cheshire border. I have just become the owner of a Coachmen Mirada RV. I am not sure whether this site welcomes American RV owners or not.
Not sure what I have done in buying it :Eeek:- have I done the right thing or taken on a big headache - not sure yet. Lots of stuff on it and lots of things I don't understand or that may not be working right.
First problem I have is that the grey holding tank is showing full but I have tried to empty it and only a small amount of waste came out. Meter still shows full.
Second problem is that the black wast tank is half full and I want to empty that but don't know where to do this. Does anyone know of a place near J16 M6 where I can drop black waste?
Any help would be gratefully received.:thumb:
Simon

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya Simon welcome to mhfun, good forum for all sorts of mhome or rv related info, there is also a sister site www.rvoc.co.uk which is great for rv specific info.
Holding tank indicators are rarely accurate and your grey tank is probably empty but has dirty sensors. The black tank could also be the same, but if you need to empty try booking on a cclub site for a night and then you can dump your tanks. If not buy a black waste tank or wastehog from a mhome / caravan accessory shop or online and empty and pour it down your toilet/ sewage drain at home.
When empty put a couple of gallons of water in each tank with a bit of soap powder or a proprietry brand of tank cleaner and drive it for a bit

Good luck Larry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As Larry said, tank probes will be dirty.. I wouldn't bother about trying to clean them as they won't stay clean very long.. waste of time.. you soon learn when they need emptying .. black tank, look down the loo with a torch , grey tank needs done when you need to fill with fresh ..

Some motorway services have a black dump point for coaches ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

shutt

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
Holding tanks

Thanks for the advice. Are the sensors easy to access to clean?
The wastehog method doesn't sound like it is for the faint hearted. :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As Larry said, tank probes will be dirty.. I wouldn't bother about trying to clean them as they won't stay clean very long.. waste of time.. you soon learn when they need emptying .. black tank, look down the loo with a torch , grey tank needs done when you need to fill with fresh ..

Some motorway services have a black dump point for coaches ..

Don't drop the torch :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for the advice. Are the sensors easy to access to clean?

Nope.. In five years I never got mine clean so gave it up as a lost cause ..

Waste hog is well named .. smells like a hog :roflmto: but easier than using a bucket which we did for a while :RollEyes:

You may also want to consider a macerator which can pump the waste up to 50 mts .. possible more ... useful for sites where there is no drive over dump point .. or as some wag on a US forum suggested ..spraying over the garden .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had a Flojet with 30 mts of pipe.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hello
My name is Simon from the Staffordshire/Cheshire border. I have just become the owner of a Coachmen Mirada RV. I am not sure whether this site welcomes American RV owners or not.
Not sure what I have done in buying it :Eeek:- have I done the right thing or taken on a big headache - not sure yet. Lots of stuff on it and lots of things I don't understand or that may not be working right.
First problem I have is that the grey holding tank is showing full but I have tried to empty it and only a small amount of waste came out. Meter still shows full.
Second problem is that the black wast tank is half full and I want to empty that but don't know where to do this. Does anyone know of a place near J16 M6 where I can drop black waste?
Any help would be gratefully received.:thumb:
Simon

Hi Simon and flyingwelcome

We better welcome RV's Cuz I got one:RollEyes: Get Ready for the learning curve, if you havn't got a handy foul manhole in your drive or where you park your RV then join the Camping & Caravan Club they usualy charge £6.50 if you go in and dump waste.

As for your RV showing tanks full as previously stated it is more than likely a sensor dirty, can usualy be cleared when flushed after emptying.

Did you buy your RV from a dealer? he should have done a proper hand over and explained every thing, or were you like me and bought it private and got told "B" all.

You will find plenty of help on here, but you can always PM me if you want.

All the Best Rick.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

believe me its better than the next option...:ROFLMAO:

but easier than using a bucket which we did for a while .

so did i....once :Eeek:. now i have 40ft of dump hose. :thumb:

many club site will allow you to fill water and dump rubbish, grey and black tanks for around £5 but not all have a driveover black dump and it may mean trying to get your dump hose up to an elsan point.

macerator pump is the way to go but its around £250 for one.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Make sure you have a good length , say 20 ft of 3" dump hose. I also have an 18 inch length which I use to connect to the wastehog, not too smelly that way.
When dumping on site the elsan disposal points are often too high but you may find a manhole nearby that is the rodding point for the elsan point , and , subject to permission can generally be used to dump your tanks in .

OP
OP
S

shutt

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
I bought it privately from a guy that knew quite a lot but I reckon he told me what he wanted to. I realise that there is loads to learn and it is quite daunting really. My first challenge will be to see whether I can drive the thing safely. Any tips? The most difficult thing I find is to know how much clearance I have on the right hand side.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Takes a bit of getting used to. First of all learn how to judge how close to the kerb you are, you will think you are over it for a start, watch your mirrors as the rh one will show the white line and if you are inside it. If in doubt in narrow roads I slow right down for oncoming traffic especially larger vehicles. On many roads bumping in the drains will tell you that you are close to the kerb.
Good luck

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It does take a little getting used to Simon, but it will come with practice. At first you will think you are sat over the kerb and it seems odd, but persevere. When you are used to it, your smile will be bigger than the wheelbase of your RV. The onboard facilities will make you feel at home, and you will get the hang of them all in time. l bought mine privately, and it was a steep learning curve. Just ask as many questions as you like on the forums, thats one of the reasons we are here. Finally, your tank sensors are probably dirty and inaccurate, like most. Happy RVing, you will love it.

Craig.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
First Chalenge

I bought it privately from a guy that knew quite a lot but I reckon he told me what he wanted to. I realise that there is loads to learn and it is quite daunting really. My first challenge will be to see whether I can drive the thing safely. Any tips? The most difficult thing I find is to know how much clearance I have on the right hand side.

Hi Simon

Thats what we do for a living see PM sent.

All the best Rick

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hello:thumb:

From JCs site...

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamma-Roll-Tank-40-litre-Grey-Waste-Tank-.html

This is what we use, well, we've used it once so far for when we can't get to a drive over point. Annoyingly the bayonnet fitting on the tank whilst it's like the standard 3" Yank, it's not, so the rather over priced Fiamma short hose and connector is required but the other end will take a standard Yank 3", Duncan at starspangledspanner or Linda at Statside can sort you one. The advantage of this tank is sealed transfer (hopefully) and if you stop transfer when the little boble rises the tanks around 2/3 full and a easy lift. I went to full once and it took two to lift:Doh: Being able to lift gives flexibility to use typical 'elsan' points, or your loo at home. There are Yank tanks but these still require a 'drive over'.

If you start playing with drains make sure you get the sewer and not storm, sorry if obvious:Blush: We're fortunate as we have one dead center at the bottom of the drive at home so easy:thumb:

As others have said, enjoy the driving, it wont be long before you've got the hang of it and as has been said, if in doubt slow down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back