LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
How long would you expect/hope frozen food to stay frozen in a freezer ?

Or how many have done Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santandar with a freezer full of food?

And was it OK after 24 hours or so?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I have taken rv on a ferry I have never been asked to turn off freezer/fridge, should you turn it off ?

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
How long would you expect/hope frozen food to stay frozen in a freezer ?

Or how many have done Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santandar with a freezer full of food?

And was it OK after 24 hours or so?

Hi Maurice

When they have parked you on the boat have a look out for the ceeform connectors/power socket on the bulkheads. When we crossed I just asked a crew member if it was ok to plug in our caravan. They said no problem just had to wait for the ships electrician. They even provided the cable.

You can do this on most ferries as long as you check with crew member first, we used to do this when driving band tour buses.

Ant & Debs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
When I have taken rv on a ferry I have never been asked to turn off freezer/fridge, should you turn it off ?

If you are talking about gas Larry,,, yes it should be turned off..
cos the fridge/freezer must be level if not damage can be done to the fridge,,, I am talking about the UK electrolux type where the flame has to go up the centre of the chimney without touching the sides of the chimney/flue.. :thumb:

Dont know about Yank type fridge/freezers,, but I should imagine they work on the same principal,, there again I stand to be corrected.. :RollEyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mo, RV owners almost always drive with the gas fridge on as the american ones don't have the 12v option. It follows that provided it is not against the rules to keep it on on board that it would still work ok
Larry

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We always leave the gas on the fridge when we get on the ferry. Our freezer stuff lasts for about 3/4 days. I always put ice blocks in as well to supplement.

When I get the meat I always take it out of the huge plastic trays and put it into the thick freezer bags so it stacks in better, this seems to keep everything frozen that bit longer.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We travelled over to Norway on a 27hr ferry a few years ago. I had the freezer full.
I didn't plug in anywhere and it was fine - everything still frozen when we arrived.

The trick is to have the freezer very full and tightly packed.
As long as you don't open the door it will take a very long time to defrost.

Thanks Ant&Debs - we'll look out for the power sockets when we board!:thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

If you are talking about gas Larry,,, yes it should be turned off..
cos the fridge/freezer must be level if not damage can be done to the fridge,,, I am talking about the UK electrolux type where the flame has to go up the centre of the chimney without touching the sides of the chimney/flue.. :thumb:

Dont know about Yank type fridge/freezers,, but I should imagine they work on the same principal,, there again I stand to be corrected.. :RollEyes:

Surely, If you drive your MH /RV with the gas on it should be okay on a ferry, unless you are travelling around Cape Horn :ROFLMAO:

Mick

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Surely, If you drive your MH /RV with the gas on it should be okay on a ferry, unless you are travelling around Cape Horn :ROFLMAO:

Mick

I cannot find it :Doh: but many years ago we went over with a caravan and the literature/information stuff that came with the tickets, stated that all gas appliances must be switched off and gas bottles turned off at the regulators,,

Possibly things have changed now,, but I stand by my comment re the UK type fridges and why they should not be left on if on uneven ground, unless they have been changed from the flame up the flue/chimney, as said I am not or was not sure regarding the US R.V`s..

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
With my 12V compressor fridge it will stay frozen all the while you have 12V to power the fridge.

I have 2 x 110 Amp hour batteries so that is quite long.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back