Nitrous Oxide .. the one used for gassing motorhomers? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, we haven't had a good gassing thread for a while .. ::bigsmile:

read this on Garry's thread
We stayed at campsite in Saumur on way down. A couple from France staying here now were there a few days after us and claimed that while they were there, 3 vans were broken into and robbed on same night and the occupants were definately GASSED with laughing gas. The police apparantly confirmed it as another site had been targeted the previous night. Not eye witnesses I am afraid but first hand knowledge

Googling 'nitrous oxide used by robbers' throws up some reports that it is being used ..

with the formula N2O. It is an oxide of nitrogen. At room temperature, it is a colorless non-flammable gas, with a slightly sweet odor and taste

it's non flammable, so no danger of vans exploding, it's an anesthetic .. what do you think, Is this the one or just more tales ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It takes away the risk of explosion that is generally put forward as a good reason why gassing does not occur but the volume issue still exists . At least the victims will be happy to have been burgled :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
If I'm unfortunate enough to be gassed, I hope the robbers leave the nitrous bottle behind, the MH could do with a bit of a boost now and then, particularly up hill. On the other hand, at least if they use Nitrous Oxide we will all be in a better position to 'laugh' the robbery off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
How did they know it was "laughing gas"? All these stories are a load of bo$$ox in my opinion. How come there has been no deaths from "gassing"? Or anyone caught, or stopped with gas canisters in their possession? Where do they buy the gas? How come no empty gas canisters are found? Aren't suspicions aroused when being purchased? For heavens sake, l cannot imagine anyone would believe this tripe!

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
If I have to read one more 'gassing' thread, I'll save the robbers the inconvenience and gas meself!!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
FromLink Removed
Gas-attack mystery still unresolved
Chris Tindall
Wednesday 11 August 2010 11:08

Truckpol says gas attacks on sleeping drivers remain a myth, despite claims the problem is worsening in some European countries.

DC Alan Soames, head of the crime intelligence unit, says there has never been any evidence to suggest drivers have been gassed so a theft can take place or to enable stowaways to sneak into a trailer.

Soames' comments come as Midlands haulage company Europe Logistics investigates claims by a subcontractor that he is still suffering side effects after being gassed in Waastmunster, Belgium, by two Iraqi illegal immigrants last Thursday night. They are understood to have boarded the trailer before being discovered by a UK Border Agency sniffer dog in Calais. The driver could be fined £2,000 per clandestine.

DC Soames says embarrassment is prompting truck drivers to claim they have been attacked in this way. "There has been no medical proof so far. [European Law Enforcement Agency] Europol has done some research and were of the same opinion that they didn't believe it's actually happening."

But drivers have hit out at DC Soames' comments. One tells CM: "It's happening, particularly in Holland, Rotterdam, Bruges; all the port areas - certainly truckstops in Belgium. There's been increased security there because of the likelihood of gassings, or attack."

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
How did they know it was "laughing gas"? All these stories are a load of bo$$ox in my opinion. How come there has been no deaths from "gassing"? Or anyone caught, or stopped with gas canisters in their possession? Where do they buy the gas? How come no empty gas canisters are found? Aren't suspicions aroused when being purchased? For heavens sake, l cannot imagine anyone would believe this tripe!

Nitrous Oxide is very easy to get hold of, a lot of performance garages sell it and you can easily get a very large cylinder, I have 3 cylinders all full at the moment.:ROFLMAO:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You need to get in the chat room they gassin in there every night:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nitrous Oxide is very easy to get hold of, a lot of performance garages sell it and you can easily get a very large cylinder, I have 3 cylinders all full at the moment.:ROFLMAO:

Hi Dude,

Interesting.. How large are the canisters and what does it cost?

Oh and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Hi Dude,

Interesting.. How large are the canisters and what does it cost?

Oh and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Thanks Jim, currently to buy from a performance shop Nitrous is around £5.40 per lb, my cylinders are 15lb capacity, a large cylinder will prob hold around 70lb's of N2O but you would need a pump to get it all out, some of the events I race at the N2O is subsidised and cost around £3 a lb, one of my bottles lasts about 2 1/4 mile runs if I have the big jets in so not too cheap.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Thanks Jim, currently to buy from a performance shop Nitrous is around £5.40 per lb, my cylinders are 15lb capacity, a large cylinder will prob hold around 70lb's of N2O but you would need a pump to get it all out, some of the events I race at the N2O is subsidised and cost around £3 a lb, one of my bottles lasts about 2 1/4 mile runs if I have the big jets in so not too cheap.

Its allright to know the distance they last, but how many vans do they last?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rasmus

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Here's a thought, why dont we all chip a couple of quid, fill up one of Dude's 15 lb N20 bottles then find a volunteer, I dont know like someone who starts gassing threads, put them in an average size MH, let the N20 off and see if they go sleepy!? Job done and then we all know if its true or not!:thumb:

Yes Jim, still reading :RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here's a thought, why dont we all chip a couple of quid, fill up one of Dude's 15 lb N20 bottles then find a volunteer, I dont know like someone who starts gassing threads, put them in an average size MH, let the N20 off and see if they go sleepy!? Job done and then we all know if its true or not!:thumb:

Yes Jim, still reading :RollEyes:

This is one for Clarksons mob :thumb::ROFLMAO: I can see it now put the lanky one and the hamster in a M/h or a caravan and let captain slow gas them :ROFLMAO:Any body know how to get in touch with them ? Think of the viewing figures and headlines :thumb: bound to be a hit ::bigsmile:
terry

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Seroiusly tho' Dude may be able to tell us if its feasible to physically carry enough N2O to be effective

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
quote: "gassed in Belgium by two Iraqi illegal immigrants"

Quite amazing! Even Iraqi illegal immigrants know how, and how much, to administer! If l had a couple of rag heads come into my shop for N20, alarm bells would ring!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A couple of years ago I posted a motorhome gassing story from a certain well-known UK club's magazine to an Urban Legend Newsgroup.

Needless to say, the story involved a couple whose MH had been robbed at a French service station overnight, and who'd heard about gassing stories, so assumed it had also happened to them. No direct evidence of course, just hearsay, but this didn't stop the club magazine's editor featuring the story. No connection to the club running a number of expensive camp sites around France I'm sure.

Anyway, one response from the Urban Legend Newsgroup pointed out that the hoary old chestnut about travellers being gassed in foreign lands by dastardly foreign types has its origins in early train travel. Apparently tales of caped and cackling foreign fiends pumping mysterious gas into train compartments to render the fine upstanding British occupants insensible were not uncommon in the early twentieth century.

All that's happened is the old legend has evolved to take in new forms of transportation.

There's a Laurel and Hardy film where they can't stop laughing. That's what sprang to mind when I read the opening post in this Nitrous Oxide thread :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Motorhome Gas Attacks

Being flammable (or not) was not one of the reasons given by the Royal College of Anaesthetists when they suggested the gassing stories were not just unlikely, rather, "impossible" Link Removed

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The evidence given as proof in most of the info I've read regarding "gas attacks" relates simply to victims having heard nothing. No actual gas evidence is cited.

Let's be real here.
These thieves are not amateur opportunists, they are professionals, it's thier living.
As such, victims who are sleeping deeply wont hear them.
THEY ARE GOOD AT IT!

"We were gassed" probably means "we were knackered" or "We'd had some vino collapso".

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I can see your plan Jim....light the blue touchpaper & stand well clear :ROFLMAO:

As I posted the original tale in my mini blog I would like to point out that I don't particularly believe the story however I don't totally disbelieve it either. How's that for sitting on the fence::bigsmile:

I have read all the gassing stories with much scepticism. However I am more inclined to believe the two individuals who were actually on the pitch opposite when the French police were taking statements. They have been travelling the length & bredth of Europe & N Africa for many years and are seasoned motorhome travellers now living in France.
It was the police who told the occupants they had been gassed and showed them how it had been done before they forced the window out. The occupants of each of the 3 vans described having vivid weird dreams but hearing nothing else. Maybe wacky baccy party....who knows. :Eeek:

I am always gullible for a good story but my mind is always open.......even for a bit of laughing gas :whatthe:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can see your plan Jim....light the blue touchpaper & stand well clear :ROFLMAO:

Not at all Garry ... I am genuinely interested..

After reading your post I went surfing to see if there were any other reports of N2O being used and found at least two reports of it (allegedly) being used on house burglaries, but none with camper vans.

I then looked on the truckers site and came across the rebuttal by DC Alan Soames, head of the crime intelligence unit. .. which I posted.

I have always kept an open mind.. there are literally hundreds of people claiming to have been gassed but with no forensic evidence .. however, lack of evidence doesn't prove a negative.

My own opinion is unimportant, all we do know is that in certain places camper vans have been broken into, we should be aware of these high risk areas such as Autoroute Aires and not use them for overnight stops.

Last edited:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
It was only meant light heartedly, Jim. As any gassing post usually sends everyone into a frenzy. :Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back