Problem connecting Spanish propane gas bottle - gas locker too small (1 Viewer)

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Hello there !

In the past I had trouble attaching the jumbo connector to a Spanish propane gas bottle in the gas locker (lack of room) and it wasn’t possible to do this outside of the locker without removing the pigtail from the regulator as the pigtail was too short. I have to do this every time I change or check the contents of the gas bottle. Surely this is not good long term.

Can anyone tell me where I might get a longer pigtail (what is its technical name / description / spec) and is there a rubber seal or something I need to replace on the regulator end of the pigtail if I continue to use the short one ?

I’ve been careful not to over tighten the pigtail when re-attaching it to the regulator by only slightly nipping the brass fitting.

Your help appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
EDIT - the pigtail is disconnected from the jumbo not the regulator. Sorry !

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_100127.jpg
    IMG_20190212_100127.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The pigtail is a standard UK butane pigtail and they come on various lengths.
Ref the rubber seal, you should always check that one is on place and not fell out (as they do) cheap and not hard to find so maybe worth keeping a few in stock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Buy a longer pigtail so you can connect the jumbo adapter outside the gas cupboard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks or your help. My van is Spanish so I have no UK fittings as such. Yes I need a longer one but what's the difference between a butane pigtail and a propane one ?

Tonka - Where would I get the replacement rubber seal, so you have a link for one ?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Thanks or your help. My van is Spanish so I have no UK fittings as such. Yes I need a longer one but what's the difference between a butane pigtail and a propane one ?

Tonka - Where would I get the replacement rubber seal, so you have a link for one ?

Thanks again.

In Spain there is no difference, in the UK there are different fittings for different types and sizes of bottles.
A good Ferreteria should have pigtails and sealing washers or a gas supplier.
Hamilton gas products in the UK supply everything to do with gas fittings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Is this what I need ? https://gasproducts.co.uk/35-148-propane-gas-pigtail-pol-x-w20.html

Yes I can go to the local Ferreteria or Leroy Merlin but I need to know what I'm looking for when I get there as my Spanish doesn't work very well in these instances ( I just confuse everyone )

Do I need any PTFE tape for the regulator end. Is the regulator end also left hand threaded like the jumbo adaptor end ?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm on my own here in Spain if I get the wrong stuff or break anything

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Is this what I need ? https://gasproducts.co.uk/35-148-propane-gas-pigtail-pol-x-w20.html

Yes I can go to the local Ferreteria or Leroy Merlin but I need to know what I'm looking for when I get there as my Spanish doesn't work very well in these instances ( I just confuse everyone )

Do I need any PTFE tape for the regulator end. Is the regulator end also left hand threaded like the jumbo adaptor end ?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm on my own here in Spain if I get the wrong stuff or break anything

No, that's not the one, look for a butane pigtail with two female threaded connectors, the regulator one is the normal right hand thread which is common to all EU regulators and pigtails. The bottle end is a left hand thread, I will try and find a link.

Should be no need for ptfe tape, the seal is made by the rubber ring.

Upvote 0

Deleted User

You should be able to get one in Spain, show them the picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
That's brilliant, now I know what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help Matamoros.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
That's grand Tonka, thanks. A picture is a thousand words. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for straight away.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back