home sky card (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Looking for some advice from the experts . I have a Maxview FTA set box installed but would like to take advantage of my Sky HD subscription in the van .
Can I simply buy a 12 volt sky decoder and use my home Sky card in it when we leave the house or is the card linked to the home machine ?
If so what 12 volt decoder would i be advised to buy ?

Thanks in advance

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Looking for some advice from the experts . I have a Maxview FTA set box installed but would like to take advantage of my Sky HD subscription in the van .
Can I simply buy a 12 volt sky decoder and use my home Sky card in it when we leave the house or is the card linked to the home machin ? if so what 12 volt decoder would i be advised to buy ?

Thanks in advance

We run an old type (non HD) Sky box in our van.

It is mains so can be used on hookup or run on an inverter when off hookup.

The card was interchangable on most options between the box at home and the one in the van, but I believe Sport and Films may be coded for the particular box (not certain of that as we don't have these options).

John

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
As far as I know, the sky card will only work in the sky box it is "linked" to.

i.e. When I got a new sky HD box, I had to phoen up & give them the card number & box number before it would work.

I assume if i got a new box I would have to phoen again to enable that box instead.

Declan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
these days with sky you either have to unplug your house box and put it in the motorhome or phone them in advance to register the motorhome box as you leave and then re register the home box when you get home

sorry, but they are damned awkward these days.

not like the old days when you just took your card out and plugged it in another box

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
these days with sky you either have to unplug your house box and put it in the motorhome or phone them in advance to register the motorhome box as you leave and then re register the home box when you get home

sorry, but they are damned awkward these days.

not like the old days when you just took your card out and plugged it in another box[/QUOTe

I have an old sky box in my m/h, when I go away I take my card from my home box and use it without any problems. I recently changed to sky HD for home use and the old box still works in the m/h but not the hd facility. I have used my home card at many sites at home and in France without any problems. I do not know if Sport and Films work in another box as I don't subscribe to them.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
you can use a sky card in ANY Sky receiver and still receive the FTV and skys "6 mix" channels.
The card only needs to be paired to the sky box for Sky Sports, Sky Movies, and some ESPN channels, and the Sky HD pay channels.

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
:RollEyes:
you can use a sky card in ANY Sky receiver and still receive the FTV and skys "6 mix" channels.
The card only needs to be paired to the sky box for Sky Sports, Sky Movies, and some ESPN channels, and the Sky HD pay channels.

Spot on!
This I have done in the last few months

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have a sky plus box at home and an older sky box in the van (runs off a small inverter on 12v). Our card works in both but we don't have premium channels like sports or movies (which I understand are linked to a particular box as stated before).

If its a quick weekend jaunt and we don't want to watch anything special we don't bother with the card and 'make do' with the Sky free to air channels. One of the main things we need the card for is Eurosport for the cycling but there's not much of that around in winter!

There is a list of all of the Sky free to air channels here -

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/free-to-air-channels/

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Spot on.

We have a 12v Pace Minibox in the van if we're not desperate for anything, but if I want Footie we take the Sky+ box with the dedicated card.

We can even record a channel if necessary but can't watch something else at the same time as at home as it's only got the one input. How much to put a dual LNB in?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
they sell for about a tenner on ebay. I got an 8 outlet lnb for about twenty quid last year works a treat :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back