Habitation Windows Surface Scratching (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Knowledgeable Ones,

Noticed I have some light parallel surface scratches on nearside habitation windows as a result of contact with the shrubbery on narrow country lanes :cry:.
Anyone any tips or recommendations for any products that will help remove or make them less noticeable.

Stewart

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Most caravan shops and I think possibly Halfords sell acrylic scratch remover ..

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I polished the windows with Autoglym resin polish whilst doing the MH , by mistake at first .
When i rubbed it off , it removed all of the surface scratches caused by the previous owner using a brush to wash the MH (including the windows) .
They came up like new , very glossy and scratch free even when the sun shines on them . We use it when ever they look scratchy now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Care of acrylic windows ..

Don't use a window cleaner like Windex or other ammonia-based cleaner on acrylic windows. Ammonia will damage the acrylic, causing a haze. Don't use an abrasive or caustic cleaner. These chemicals will also damage acrylic windows. Do not use WD-40 or any other petroleum-based chemical on your acrylic windows. Never use a scrubbing pad or other abrasive pad to clean your acrylic windows. Avoid using a razor blade or putty knife to remove substances on the window. Only use a chemical designed for acrylic windows and wipe with a lint-free towel only. Do not clean acrylic windows in direct sunlight, wait until the sun has moved from the area or is down.

* read the small print of any non proprietary cleaning product before using *

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It probably says only use the correct chemical in your toilet cassette too , yet lots of folk on here use anything but . :ROFLMAO:

The resin polish may not be the correct polish , i dont know i didn't read the label. I got some on by mistake at first , but it worked . :thumb:
Like everything i suppose try it in an inconspicuous area first , just to be sure.
I dont know how it compares price wise to acrylic cleaner , it may even be more expensive it was just to hand.
I actually did it on a lovely sunny day too:Doh:
I do know we were told to use T cut in downward strokes , on the caravan windows though , by a dealer. That worked too.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It probably says only use the correct chemical in your toilet cassette too , yet lots of folk on here use anything but . :ROFLMAO:

The resin polish may not be the correct polish , i dont know i didn't read the label. I got some on by mistake at first , but it worked . :thumb:
Like everything i suppose try it in an inconspicuous area first , just to be sure.
I dont know how it compares price wise to acrylic cleaner , it may even be more expensive it was just to hand.
I actually did it on a lovely sunny day too:Doh:
I do know we were told to use T cut in downward strokes , on the caravan windows though , by a dealer. That worked too.

I never said that what you used was wrong or would cause crazing, I merely gave advice on what NOT to use and to always check the small print. A crazed window is a lot more expensive than a runner toilet seal .. :RollEyes:

The effects of using the wrong product won't be instantaneous .. it may take some months or even years for the crazing to appear ..

Fenwicks Windowize Scratch Remover comes highly recommended and costs about a fiver .. a small price to pay compared with a new window .

T cut can be used to remove a scratch but NOT for polishing the whole window.. it contains ammonia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Brasso has had recommendations on this forum before. It also works to remove sticky label residue on other things.

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Care of acrylic windows ..

Quote:
Don't use a window cleaner like Windex or other ammonia-based cleaner on acrylic windows. Ammonia will damage the acrylic, causing a haze. Don't use an abrasive or caustic cleaner. These chemicals will also damage acrylic windows. Do not use WD-40 or any other petroleum-based chemical on your acrylic windows. Never use a scrubbing pad or other abrasive pad to clean your acrylic windows. Avoid using a razor blade or putty knife to remove substances on the window. Only use a chemical designed for acrylic windows and wipe with a lint-free towel only. Do not clean acrylic windows in direct sunlight, wait until the sun has moved from the area or is down.

What sort of 'care' advice is that? Its ok telling folk what not to do - but wheres the answer to the original question??:Doh:

I think we all have our own ideas on 'fix's'. And remember, these companies often have vested intrests in 'advising' of which products to use in any given situation.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Most caravan shops and I think possibly Halfords sell acrylic scratch remover ..

Fenwicks Windowize Scratch Remover comes highly recommended and costs about a fiver .. a small price to pay compared with a new window .

What sort of 'care' advice is that? Its ok telling folk what not to do - but wheres the answer to the original question??:Doh:

can you not read the full thread .. and even if I didn't give a name why are you making a personal comment and being rude

I gave two answers

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have used and often do when I can be bothered,. Fenwicks arcrylic window cleaner for motrhomes and caravans, although I have met Mr Fenwick, I have no vested interest ::bigsmile: just a great product IMO. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back