The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
...is it not a bit dark inside with only one side window & one rear?
I've got two roof vents to go in yet which should help. The windows are quite large, I also didnt want to use up too much valuable wall space!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
This is what's it would be like with the door open.... Not bad I think, Its also raining! I geuss I could put a window in the door? Hmmm

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
1567786607503.jpg
Forgot to add photo

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
This is what's it would be like with the door open.... Not bad I think, Its also raining! I geuss I could put a window in the door? Hmmm
I am impressed by the pure whiteness as per your post

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I geuss I could put a window in the door? Hmmm
A handy addition, so that you can see who is at the door before choosing to open it to them, and especially at night, with an LED awning light right above the door illuminating the approach. I sometimes leave ours on all night if wild camping, as a deterrent to would be opportunists. ;)

A couple we know, have a porthole window in their habitation door, with a one way see through film over the glass.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi MANGOFORTH Fantastic thread only just found it and working through. You are probably way past doing this but this is what we saw on an old ClouLiner in Portugal. Left both of us saying I want one. He lifted the frames up shortly after he stopped and didn't have to sit in the gravel.
Good luck on the build.
Steve
ClouLinerTerrace.jpg

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Hi MANGOFORTH Fantastic thread only just found it and working through. You are probably way past doing this but this is what we saw on an old ClouLiner in Portugal. Left both of us saying I want one. He lifted the frames up shortly after he stopped and didn't have to sit in the gravel.
Good luck on the build.
Steve
View attachment 329656
That is pretty awesome actually. This project is never going to end ?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
That is pretty awesome actually. This project is never going to end ?
So perhaps what you need is a large secure roof vent perhaps from a coach breaker which would double as access to the terrace and an escape hatch for an emergency, Then a bit of artificial (or even real :)) grass and the frames/railings which would be a doddle for you. Then perhaps a tube welded on each side for the brolly. I presume when the insulation is in the roof will be walkable. Perhaps even a chance to do a bit more riveting round the hatch?
As you say, this project could grow & grow, but how cool. :cool::cool:
Bonne Courage!
Steve

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Bugger, not been getting notifications for some reason..

Anyway, question... Did you weigh the bare rolling chassis cab before you started? Do you know how much payload you had to play with?
I've been reading up on sizes of 7.5 tonners to see if there are different variants available that's all and I am wondering the best way to "choose a length" if there is one :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So perhaps what you need is a large secure roof vent perhaps from a coach breaker which would double as access to the terrace and an escape hatch for an emergency, Then a bit of artificial (or even real :)) grass and the frames/railings which would be a doddle for you. Then perhaps a tube welded on each side for the brolly. I presume when the insulation is in the roof will be walkable. Perhaps even a chance to do a bit more riveting round the hatch?
As you say, this project could grow & grow, but how cool. :cool::cool:
Bonne Courage!
Steve
What you really need is a tail lift. A patio when parked and ultimate security for a rear door at night.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Bugger, not been getting notifications for some reason..

Anyway, question... Did you weigh the bare rolling chassis cab before you started? Do you know how much payload you had to play with?
I've been reading up on sizes of 7.5 tonners to see if there are different variants available that's all and I am wondering the best way to "choose a length" if there is one :D
Erm nope and erm nope ?. Regarding length, your only losing a bit of weight if you go shorter. Weights in the cab and axles, sooo I went long. I chose this truck because I knew the previous owner, its been well looked after, its old (1994) and mechanical so I can fix it when it breaks, it's got a commercial MAN engine, good for a genuine million miles, it's only done 200k (literally nothing) and most importantly... Its German.

Oh yeah also its already classed as a motorhome so needs class 4 MOT, Massive bonus!!. I've heard from a few sources that the DVLA aren't accepting motorhome/camper van conversations currently, instead classing them as "specially fitted vehicles" don't think the insurance is that friendly.... This may be a rumour though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also I haven't been able to drive it as I don't have a licence for it yet?? That's another grand for fork out. Curse of being 28
Please tell me you've had a go in it on 'private land' though ... you might not have the muscles to drag the steering wheel round being a mere 'boy'! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Please tell me you've had a go in it on 'private land' though ... you might not have the muscles to drag the steering wheel round being a mere 'boy'! ::bigsmile:
Yes I've had a go , but at 6`7" and 20 stone.... I thought I'd be okay anyway. ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Presumably you're inside this....

The size of motorhomes is restricted in the UK - you can’t register one more than 12 metres long and 2.55 metres wide.

The measurements don’t include driving mirrors, rear bumpers, lamps, or reflectors.

There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
This will show a few other European motorcaravan self build in majority of cases some good ideas it happens every year , I visited there in 2018 :) over 850 vehicles .

I'll definitely go there once I'm done!! Be interesting to see what I've done wrong ?

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
You're clearly handy with a welder so why did you go with ally and all the rivets rather than welding sheet steel onto the frame?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
You're clearly handy with a welder so why did you go with ally and all the rivets rather than welding sheet steel onto the frame?
Ally won't rust, only reason the frame isn't ally is the expense. And also there's 17 sheets, 4 edges a sheet. Sooo thats 127 meters of butt welding... no thanks ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Ally won't rust, only reason the frame isn't ally is the expense. And also there's 17 sheets, 4 edges a sheet. Sooo thats 127 meters of butt welding... no thanks ?
and think of the weight it would be made out of steel. Not to mention the heat distortion from welding. Nope nope nope. Ally and rivets definitely the way forward.
I like their countersunk rivet placement and the slant cut in the floor pieces. slotted together beautifully and hid all the fixings nicely.
Same with the interior, it's going to be really hard to design it all so all the pieces hide the way the each of it is attached to give that flawless screw free finish..

One section that did confuse me was the way they brought the roof section in to meet the walls. They slotted the roof edges inside the wall edges.
The inside of the cabin I would have done that but the outside I would have put the roof section over the wall section, so even if you did have a poor seal there, the water would never enter but just run off down the side.
The same concept on the inside joins where the roof tucks into the side panel, not over it, so any condensation or outer skin leak in the roof area, would again just run straight pas the join and down the wall, never being able to enter the cabin area..
I think they might have actually ballsed that fitment up and re did it out of shot later as the panned out shots a few seconds later seemed to show a visible flange (ooh eerr) on the outside and a clean edge / join on the inside. :D
Are you with me :D I know what I mean but might not come across that way in print lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back