Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Ok, this has me and others really baffled!:Doh:

When we light the gas cooker rings or oven all is well, but if we then use our electric step or switch on the lights in the extractor fan over the cooker the gas goes of Why?????????

Any ideas ??????????????????????????

This never used to happen when we got the van, Jan used to be able to cook with the oven as we were driving

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Ok, this has me and others really baffled!:Doh:

When we light the gas cooker rings or oven all is well, but if we then use our electric step or switch on the lights in the extractor fan over the cooker the gas goes of Why?????????

Any ideas ??????????????????????????

This never used to happen when we got the van, Jan used to be able to cook with the oven as we were driving

Does your cooker have a glass lid? and if you close the lid does the gas go out? if so check that there is nothing behind the glass lid when open that is pushing the lid away from the wall, even the slightest amount can turn the gas off.

Doug...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How weird !

It MUST have some sort of safety device/cut off that activates if it detects a fall in battery voltage ( though lord only knows why !! )

As a first step get the multi meter on the leisure battery and make sure it is not dropping below 12v

Second, follow the main gas line and see if you can find a solenoid cut off.. As a temporary measure simply disconnect a wire going to it

Ahhh.. a thought and about the only reason I can think of for a cut off.....

I wonder if it has a widget fitted that will not allow the gas to be lit if the engine is running ? Again, can see that being a right pain in the parts but it IS a possible .. but that would take us back to option the second any way :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but if we then use our electric step or switch on the lights in the extractor fan over the cooker the gas goes off

You mean just the gas to the cooker ?

Don't know your cooker, is it all in one ? Does whole cooker go down ?

Some rambling thoughts.....

There must be an electric valve in there. Why ? Safety. What would trigger it ?

Power to this valve -- same circuit as step/fan -- fault in feed to step/fan/valve could be bad fuse contact - extra load valve drops out. Find fuse to step and see if pulling it kills cooker.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
when i read the header I thought it was going to be about baked beans:Smile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Is not having the gas on / cooking whilst on the move a touch dangerous?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds like you have an LPG tank, and the valve (like mine) is and electric solenoid valve a high current draw such as a step could cause sufficient power reduction for the solenoid to drop out. are the batteries in good order, has the step been serviced lately. The solenoid can stick and needs occasional cleaning as well.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Does your cooker have a glass lid? and if you close the lid does the gas go out? if so check that there is nothing behind the glass lid when open that is pushing the lid away from the wall, even the slightest amount can turn the gas off.

Doug...

Thanks Doug,

I will check that but doubt its the problem as it will happen to the oven even if the hob is not being used!

Patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
You mean just the gas to the cooker ?

Don't know your cooker, is it all in one ? Does whole cooker go down ?

Some rambling thoughts.....

There must be an electric valve in there. Why ? Safety. What would trigger it ?

Power to this valve -- same circuit as step/fan -- fault in feed to step/fan/valve could be bad fuse contact - extra load valve drops out. Find fuse to step and see if pulling it kills cooker.

The hob is Dometic Cramer, the oven is a separate unit and the heating does not go of when this happens to the cooking parts

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
sounds like you have an LPG tank, and the valve (like mine) is and electric solenoid valve a high current draw such as a step could cause sufficient power reduction for the solenoid to drop out. are the batteries in good order, has the step been serviced lately. The solenoid can stick and needs occasional cleaning as well.

Hi Wildman,
Yes we do have a gas tank, but the problem never seems to affect the Alda heating when this happens to the cooker……. Well I don’t think it does, or maybe just not noticed as the heating is so quiet and if it did cut of as its radiators wouldn’t notice.

Thanks mate I will check this out!:thumb:

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
|I belive that the gas should be turned off while on the road.I you are involved in a road traffic accident there is a possibilty of one big inferno and maybe aloud bang. Not to mention invalid insurance cover. :Eeek: Sid

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back